Gameplay - Shifting Causing Engine Damage in Manual or Manual W/ Clutch modes (1770765)

After Update 2.0, It seems to have introduced a new bug to where shifting anywhere near the redline while in “Manual” or “Manual with Clutch” Modes causes engine damage. This was not this way prior to the update. This causes most cars with fast rev ranges to receive sizeable amounts of Engine Damage per lap, making these cars basically unusable to race.

I originally marked it up as putting a Twin Turbo on my rear wheel drive FE corvette towards the end of the series, but it meant I had to take extra caution shifting in order to not destroy my transition during the 3 lap race Le Mans full track.

The rain on that race was a killer in addition to burning out the transmission that made it almost impossible for me to beat the AI

1 Like

I Find it a little annoying that shifting with M/C or just Manual can Kill both the Engine and Transmission even when you perfectly time the Gear Change

1 Like

I have not had any issues with this.

2 Likes

At first, I wasnt either, with GT Cars and such its not a problem seemingly for most of them. But after trying to drive the Toyota LMP1 at Spa I was getting between 2 and 3 percent engine damage per lap, not overrevving the car, making sure to short shift actually.

tried with both manual and manual w/ clutch, same outcomes on both.

1 Like

So then maybe it’s car dependent? I haven’t tried any of the protos yet.

2 Likes

I believe so, as I recall this issue wasn’t happening prior to update 2.0, so I believe it was brought in with 2.0

1 Like

It was happening pre 2.0

Can confirm, Toyota lmp1 hybrid would do damage on every downshift cos it redlined every time.

Someone said it’s the race transmission. That I can’t confirm

2 Likes

its now getting damage on upshifts too, any time its near the redline, its likely to get damage.

2 Likes

Maybe I should be using throttle control better but I felt like I was doing this pretty well before the 2.0 update but the damage only seemed to happen after. Perhaps it is more pronounced in the update because I could destroy the car before if I just treated the triggers as simply on/off verses trying to throttle control.

My main example at this point is a FE Corvette RWD with Twin Turbo during the rain on Le Mans full track per the last series in Power Tour before the showcase. It really made getting first in that race difficult with max AI. I am not sure if it was the track/rain/car/build but I had never noticed how easy it was to destroy the engine/transmission in any race prior and I think I did the final upgrade just before that race. If I had the same build in the race before I did not notice the destruction.

I will say once I hit a will I usually restart a race, so I got better, but still had a tendency to lose a good portion of power by end race even being super conservative on throttle.

1 Like

This issue was present before update 2.0 and was discussed in this thread: Ginetta G60 engine durability

It also depends on the car: Some cars are fine while others jump straight to the redline when downshifting even if you are at low RPMs. A lot of cars jump to the redline, but don’t receive any or only very little/not noticeable engine damage.

I did some short races with rented cars yesterday and the following cars (incomplete list, I haven’t checked all cars) have this problem:

• 1989 Aston Martin #18 Aston Martin AMR1
  • 1989 Audi #4 Audi 90 quattro IMSA GTO
  • 1979 Datsun #33 280ZX Turbo
  • 1990 Ferrari #1 Scuderia Ferrari 641
  • 1970 Ferrari 512 S
  • 1991 Ford #15 Roush Racing Whistler Mustang
  • 2019 Ginetta #6 Team LNT Ginetta G60-LT-P1
  • 1988 Jaguar #1 Jaguar Racing XJR-9
  • 1983 Jaguar #44 Group 44 XJR-5
  • 1991 Mazda #55 787B
  • 1988 McLaren #12 Honda McLaren MP4/4
  • 1969 McLaren #4 McLaren Cars M8B
  • 1989 Mercedes-Benz #63 Sauber-Mercedes C 9
  • 1990 Mercury #15 Whistler Radar Cougar XR-7
  • 2015 Nissan #23 GT-R LM NISMO
  • 1991 Nissan #23 Nissan R91CP
  • 1988 Nissan #33 Bob Sharp Racing 300ZX
  • 1985 Nissan #83 GTP ZX-Turbo
  • 1984 Nissan #11 Tomica Skyline Turbo Super Silhouette
  • 1990 Oldsmobile #75 Cutlass Supreme Trans Am
  • 1993 Peugeot #3 Peugeot Talbot Sport 905 EVO 1C
  • 2017 Porsche #2 Porsche Team 919 Hybrid
  • 1987 Porsche #17 Porsche AG 962c
  • 2014 Toyota #8 Toyota Racing TS040 HYBRID
3 Likes

It looks like the 2023 Aston Martin Valkyrie and the 1983 Porsche #11 John Fitzpatrick Racing 956 included in Update 3.0 will have at least the downshift issue too. You can see it in the Forza Monthly at 13:03 and 25:23

1 Like

This video shows the difference when downshifting for the Ferrari F50 GT, the Ferrari 512 S and the Ginetta #6 Team LNT Ginetta G60-LT-P1:

The F50 GT does not have this issue, but the downshifts in Forza Horizon 5 seem to be even smoother.

1 Like

I think this might be inter-related with throttle auto-blip and auto-clutch?
Also when shifting with an H pattern - there is about a half second to second delay before the clutch engages (after releasing the pedal).

This timer seems to be to prevent instant shifting and macro abuse. Ultimately it would be far more sensible to start the timer from the moment you depress the clutch pedal - rather than the moment you release the pedal which is utterly stupid.

2 Likes

Yes, some cars seem to have too much throttle auto-blip.

1 Like

As shown in the Forza Monthly the 2023 Aston Martin Valkyrie has the downshift issue too. Interestingly the engine rpm is “only” about 1500 rpm too high when downshifting, it seemed to be a lot more in the Forza Monthly video.

1 Like

Oh it ISN’T a feature?

I started noticing it while I was driving the 2017 Ford GT. Strangely, I found that I was able to shift without the clutch and damage neither the engine nor the transmission, but the engine damage seemed to accumulate at random.

2 Likes

No, it isn’t a feature and don’t know why any car would do that.

The part about shifting without using the clutch is actually a feature and I’ve encountered it myself too. According to some posts here on the forum if a car has no clutch pedal you don’t need to use the clutch while shifting even if you have set the assists to manual with clutch.

1 Like

The 1983 Porsche #11 John Fitzpatrick Racing 956 is a perfect and obvious example for this. The engine damage increases every few downshifts, because the engine jumps straight to the redline even if only at very low RPMs.

2 Likes

@here

Would it be possible to get more information on the controller or wheel hardware you are using so we can investigate this more?

2 Likes