The GOLDEN RULE as Applied to Forza Multiplayer

That’s the attitude I’ve seen some players take recently:

Sure, sure: http://forums.forza.net/turn10_postst54438_Banns.aspx

1 Like

T10 created the majority of the new wreckers to the game. It all started with career mode, drivatars and starting in the middle of the pack. In order to win these races in career mode, a new player to the game was forced to smash in to the drivatars to win on the first turn. This driving style has transferred over to multiplayer.

On line lobby’s should be created by players skill. Pick a track, any track. Run a lap. Your time associated with a CLEAN lap will produce your competition in that lobby. T10 has that data in rivals mode, wouldn’t be that difficult to transfer over.

New drivers have zero comprehension of a clean lap or clean racing.

Why is it my job to find a clean lobby? Why is it my job to report wreckers?

I have blocked over 1,000 people since Forza 6 came out. That’s ridiculous!

This is T10’s mess to fix, they created it.

1 Like

This. Everyone starts playing Forza by playing career mode, in which there are no consequences for contact. Plus, its just a computer so who cares right? The short races and required podiums force you to drive over aggressively at times too. It’s not surprising at all that this carries over into multiplayer.

1 Like

There’s a reason this debate rages on. Because its hard to fix and its mostly anecdotal.

There are obvious wreckers in multiplayer races, but unless someone from T10 sits in as a moderator on every race how do they know that they are dealing with everyone fairly? In my experience there is also a good amount of players making ridiculous moves and then blaming the person they tried to dive down the inside of, or suddenly move over on, as a wrecker.

Last night in the Cam-Am league I’d done all of my braking and started to turn into the first corner at COTA when some guy tried to barrel up the inside at 50mph too fast. He then spent the next minute abusing me for ‘taking him out’, even though I was following the correct line. Charlie Whiting would have washed his mouth out with soap.

1 Like

Save the replay and review ot later, and invite him to do the same. If he was able to make the turn this fast on another lap (I doubt it). Then he can say he was capable of doing it but, that doesn’t mean he could do it with another car there. More than likely he was trying to use your car as a brake or going with the “8 wheels are better than 4” theory. Also he knew he was in the wrong and figured he would cast blame on you 1st to try and win in the Almighty Court of Forza Public Opinion.

1 Like

I know exactly what u mean. The ones I hate tho are idiots who thinks they are so much better than you they demand you move cos they are faster yet end up taking you out cos they dive bombed you into a corner and rage cos you was in the way??!! Hello? If your that good race me not wreck me!!

Turn 10 need a penalty system if they want to clean up the online racing. A triangle next to your time for dirty lap just doesn’t cut it. They need flags!! DQs and / or slow down time penalties / drive through. It works really well on PCARS. And I think it will be successful on forza. I prefer forza. But I’m getting sick of people ruining streams with their idiotic racing :confused:

I see your intent with this post but this does not apply to forza or most online racing.As stated the person you are passing is not playing by those rules and in fact some are hoping you try to pass because they want to wreck you.This isnt real life racing its virtual which is waaaaaaay different.

I agree, people with bad racecraft (not giving space in corners) is an inevitability and honestly not as big an issue as people make of it.

Corner-cutting is a moderate issue that should be reviewed.

Intentional wrecking is the biggest issue. These players won’t learn about proper racecraft because they don’t care about racing cleanly. Their only intention is to hit the nearest car as fast as possible and watch things fly.

Educating these types of players is not the way to go (although education in general may convince a small percentage), but more effective ways of punishing such behaviour can help. A more effective Vote to Kick system (like the one I’m suggesting below) may work:

1 Like

tons of divebombers in this game, its unreal

2 Likes

I’m definitely sold on that vote to “Vote to Kick” system you’ve come up with PJ. If you’re well connected enough it might be worth suggesting it directly to Turn10. Particularly if you can show evidence of support from people on here. Although I aren’t suggesting more casual players who don’t use these forums don’t deserve a say

I also liked a suggestion you made in another thread recently about information regarding racecraft/racing online being put across the loading screen. I think you used an example from GTA5. This could replace the current ones which includes stuff about slippery bump strips and drifting around corners being stylish but slower etc. I think we’ve all got the message on those by now

Regarding the intentional “wreckers” (Those who don’t attempt to race at all usually causing mayhem at the beginning of a race and then spend their time waiting to be lapped to cause some more grief to the front runners) I think the current system of reporting and sending video evidence is adequate in the long run that is if somebody from Turn10 is prepared to watch a full race video which is what that instance entails

To give Turn10 some credit i think some of the extra “ghosting” implemented has improved multiplayer since I started playing it. I know others have reported instances of it being exploited but on the whole I think it is better

Gone off-topic a bit there. “The Golden Rule”: I agree but you might be preaching to the converted on here so to speak

Although I was able to convince Turn 10 to try out a 1970s F1 Hopper that was a reasonably simple thing to implement. Also, I don’t want to push my luck and start asking for all sorts of changes :wink:

If enough people support some of the ideas I have put forward then maybe Turn 10 will address it but as these would have to be bug-tested and applied in an in-game update (rather than simply adding another Hopper via their backend’s content management system) it’s a much trickier thing to do.

What the past week has shown however is that more and more people are becoming aware of the issues the Multiplayer community is having, and are posting on the forums as a result. The “Unicorn hunt” has something to do with this as it encouraged thousands of players to try out Leagues. Hopefully all the recent attention and discussion about cleaning up Multiplayer will convince people at Turn 10 to place more focus on potential solutions.

I really like the idea too. It’s detailed and really well thought out. If this idea were to be taken forward, I’d offer to volunteer myself too, perhaps to aid with visual demonstrations, small clips or anything else that’s most appropriate.

The longevity of this game depends on addressing issues like this. If the status quo is to continue forward, I can see myself only playing for the odd leaderboard attack and community organised race on TURN/TORA/others.

Well, there’s a few less that like to whip the wheel into passers…the replay function is awesome. Especially when you can select their car and watch them all the way through the race. Accidental versus malicious becomes quite clear…

Pj has a good idea, but lets not forget this game has an E rating and needs to be understood to the lowest common denominator.

1 Like

It is nice to see the rules do get enforced. I just wonder how much they are enforced and what is needed to get them enforced.

Here is an example of something that can happen. I enter a league and start racing and find there is someone driving in a way inconsistent with the rules of conduct, i.e., a wrecker or troll, in the first race. I complete the race and record it. I then do a second and third race and the same things happen. I then leave the league because I’m tired of this. I upload the replays. I send a message to Turn10 about this with links to the races.

Here is the $64,000 question. How likely is the person to be banned?

I guess some of that depends on how badly the person was driving and how easy intent is to determine. If it was one incident in one race, I can see intent being hard to prove. However, I did say it occurred in 3 races in a row. If the person created in big accident in the first turn and then dropped out just to start the next race and do the same, I can see intent being easy to prove. The hard part is in determining when aggressive driving becomes unacceptable driving. I wouldn’t want to compare my driving in the career races against the drivatars to my online racing. I know I’m more aggressive with the drivatars. You need to be that way in some of the shorter races. I wonder how much of this sneaks into online racing.

Saw an interesting thing happen this evening; I was in the Pinnacle Can-Am league lobby with about 6-8 other cars and the racing was clean and polite for many races in a row. Then just 1 new guy entered the lobby and in the next race he proceeded to bump and grind his way past everyone - no hard smashes or race-enders, just persistent small bumps and aggression and desperate late-break overtaking attempts. By the end of that first race everyone was at it, and that carried on into the following races too. Suddenly what had been a good lobby was now a dirty one with cars knocking each other off all over the place.

You couldn’t describe the guy as a wrecker and no one incident was all that bad in isolation, he was just a bit impatient, but it totally ruined the lobby.

I’m with PJ on this one; in Pinnacle all collision leagues should have damage enabled. That would sort this kind of low-level lack of consideration.

2 Likes

Like the special weekend Leagues we had a few months ago, it should be the top two leagues with simulation damage on.

Excellent points. What people have to remember is that, away from F1, real world racing is pretty aggressive stuff and I see no real problem with people adopting an aggressive (but fair) policy within Forza. I know some people don’t see it like that and take offence at being jumped by another racer who makes a brave move that involves a little body scraping. But you know, if both drivers come out of it pointing in the same direction and put their egos to one side and just get on with it then what exactly is the problem? Sometimes there’s nothing better than a few nudges from an opposing racer - it just reminds you that you’re in a proper race and if you’re the one being nudged then you have to drive your socks off to keep that person behind you. This sometimes makes you a better racer. And yes, it is a shame that on many occasions the lobby does deteriorate into a destruction derby fest. Wounded egos and reckless retribution. I can do without that.

1 Like

There nothing brave about racing aggressively, it’s just selfish and is the problem biggest problem with MP. So if you think aggressive drive is fine then you should be completely happy with the state of racing that’s going on in lobby now. Contact breeds more contact,
Yes if play are just racing hard but trying to race clean and then there contact fair enough. Racing can be a aggressive sport but you have to know when to back off. Most don’t grasp this concept, wedge them self into every turn and woder why people turned into them.