So how will it look/play on Xbox one and S ?

I don’t have a 4k TV, so am reluctant to be buying a new 1X.
We have seen screenshots and vids of XB1X action, but I haven’t come across any for the regular XB1 /S.
So if you have, please append a link here :wink:

If you don’t have 4K then you haven’t seen any 4K screenshots :slight_smile:

Watch the video clips on your XB and that’s more or less what you can expect.

For those of us without a 1x or 4k TV or capable PC it’ll run fine at whatever res you’re currently running. Expect some improvements as apparently they’ve managed to increase the efficiency of the software but generally it’ll just look like a new Forza. Your hardware will be the limiting factor.

1 Like

Hello!

I´m in the same Boat here, I have a Standarnd XBOne and a non 4K TV.
But, as far as I understood, the Screenshots we saw will be in the same Quality for us.
Because we´re watching it already on a non4K Screen, we could not see the difference.

What You see will be what You get :wink:

For me Personal 4K is not the Point, from my POV Graphics in an Forza Game are waaaayy better then Necessary.
I could live very good with Forza3 Graphics when i would get all the Content (All Cars and All Tracks ever Released in Forza) in Forza7.

Forza 7 on an Xbox one or one S will be scaled down from 4k to whatever resolution your tv may be.

The end result is that Forza 7 on your current setup will look better than FM6. This was an unexpected benefit of developing in 4k that from comments by Turn 10 was a welcome side effect.

However if you have the new tv and Xbox one X FM7 will be a sight to behold as just about everything is on 4k tv’s.

So no matter your choice, FM7 will look beautiful.

1 Like

These comments are not exactly accurate. The One and OneS versions of FM7 will not be scaled down from 4K. The 4K enhancements for FM7 will only be available on the OneX and PC … not the One or OneS. What you may be thinking of here is playing FM7 on a OneX while using a 1080p display. In those cases, the images will be super-sampled 4K images from the enhanced version on the OneX shown on the 1080p display.

2 Likes

Well no [Mod Edit - Abbreviated profanity, profanity and profanity that is disguised but still alludes to the words are not permitted - D]. Of course 4k won’t be on older Xbox systems. I never even said that. And no I wasn’t thinking that.

Ummm … it’s no big deal … but this is a direct quote from you …

Forza 7 on an Xbox one or one S will be scaled down from 4k to whatever resolution your tv may be.

I was just trying to clarify for anyone who might have been reading that.

Bahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

scorpio muscle still flex on 1080p. you will get downsampling from 4k render resolution, displayed to your 1080p screen.
this is also known as “bullshot level quality”

and when 4k hdr freesync screens reach your buying point, you upgrade

It’s not a “bullshot” if it’s the real thing, which supersampling is :wink:

As for Xbox One performance, one important thing to take note of is that Forza Motorsport 7 will be available for a month before the release of Xbox One X. That means that for console players, the only way to experience Forza Motorsport 7 is through an Xbox One or Xbox One S. Because of this, Turn 10 can’t afford for peoples’ first impression of the title to be a negative one, and given their technical prowess you can expect the game to run perfectly well on the standard consoles.

3 Likes

For those wondering, here’s two images from Forza Horizon 3.

This is Forza Horizon 3 in 1080p on Xbox One:

This is Forza Horizon 3 in 4K, then supersampled down to 1080p:

As you can see, the supersample removes almost all of the jagged edges you see in a native 1080p resolution. So even on standard HDTV’s, Xbox One X Enhanced games will look better than the Xbox One and S.

So it will still be looked at 60 for as well in 1080P?

They both look great to me but then again when I was 5 or so driving games looked like this:

Night Driver
Night Driver on Atari 2600

and then when I was 8 or 9 this:

Test Drive 1 w/ CGA graphics

If you drive from Castelletto to Nice in Horizon 2 there’s a road that kind of looks and flows like the original Test Drive road. Bonus points for using the original TD cars like the Countach for that!

-k

4 Likes

NIGHT DRIVER WAS THE BEST! I played that constantly when I was a kid.

1 Like

I was under the impression that for Xbox One and One S the game installs with 1080p textures and upscales for the One S if used with a 4K screen. For the Xbox One X, you will see full 4K with a 4K screen and down scaled to 1080p with an HD screen. Microsoft support confirmed to me that only the One X will have the 4K assets.

-k

1 Like

Based on my understanding, everything you’ve said is correct.

Basically it goes like this:

1. Xbox One X on 4K TV: Native 4K at 60 fps.
  2. Xbox One X on 1080p TV: 4K downscaled to 1080p via some algorithm (very possibly AMD’s VSR), at the same 60 fps.

Technically it’s worth getting the X even with a 1080p TV. I’ve gamed on PC at native 1080p and 4K downscaled to 1080p using Nvidia’s DSR. The difference in quality is HUGE, especially in games with poor antialiasing filters. The main difference will be in temporal aliasing, that is, the flickering of the edges during movement. The higher the resolution, the more lifelike it flows. Therefore, people using screenshots to compare 4K and 1080p are totally missing the point of the higher resolution, except when it’s something obvious like the FH3 screenshots posted above. Since console gamers usually sit far from their screens, the devs can afford to sacrifice some fidelity that wouldn’t be as noticeable on a TV as it would on a monitor. With enough resolution we may not even need things like texture filtering anymore. And, as you can see in the same FH3 screenshots, even downscaling from four times the resolution does not get rid of some of the more obvious aliasing. Native 4K will always look best, period, it’s just those with 1080p screens aren’t neglected by the new platform because it’s capable of downscaling.

Either way, I find FH3’s looks on the Xbox One S to be quite acceptable and the game to be surprisingly fluid despite obviously running at 30 fps. So I’m confident Turn10 will find a reasonable compromise when FM7 is ready for release.

I think many people here think just because the game now runs at a 4K resolution, that the textures will now be “4K” aswell. That’s not how it works.

They will use whatever texture resolution fits the object/mesh best. Cars, track details and the skybox will certainly get the highest resolutions, especially the latter one is probably gonna be at a much higher resolution than 4K. Keep in mind 4K refers to a specific resolution that has an aspect ratio of 16:9. Textures (especially textures made for the environment) will employ sizes that have a 1:1 aspect ratio (like 2048 x 2048).

When they speak of “4K assets” they talk about things like textures that will benefit from the 4K resolution. At a low resolution, there’s no reason to give a detail in the distance a high texture resolution, since it will look quite pixelated anyway. With 4K however, that changes, and so they increase the texture resolution of that specifc object.

3 Likes

[Mod Edit - thread merged - MM]

Have the FM7 resolution and framerate been formally announced for each XBox model? This is important enough to have been announced because many early adopters that eventually play on the X will start on a base model or S. However, the similarly named systems make this much harder than usual to research and confirm.

There’s been much made of 4k/60/HDR on XBox One X, but I have only found speculation about how it will run on base and S models. The speculation suggests 1080/60, which has been the target in recent Motorsport titles. The sources are a mention-in-passing in an IGN article around the time of E3 (don’t have link), and the other is a digital foundry video about xbox one benchmarks (max has it linked in his FM7 spreadsheets).

I assume the S will be HDR of whatever the base model does, but has there been reliable confirmation of 1080/60 for them?

Outside of “4k/60” for Xbox One X, no.

Guesses have been made but you likely won’t find out anything until September.