Motorsport vs Horizon

I just made the switch to Xbox because of Forza. I hear that Motorsport is more of a sim. That’s what I like. I always loved Gran Turismo on PlayStation. Can you modify the cars in Motorsport. Turbochargers, suspension, transmission, etc?

Yes. Almost any car can have all list of modification, as well as engine swaps, transmission and aspiration type change. You can tune cars as well. An installing anti roll bar, transmisson, differential etc. makes it tunable.
Gran Turismo was one of my favourite games in my childhood. :wink:

Both are great games get both.

Do yourself a favour and skip FH4 for now, its in shambles at the moment. Its loaded with bugs and will more than likely remain that way for months to come. Its also pathetically arcadey this time around, about as realistic as ‘Burnout: Paradise’. If you’re going to get a Horizon game get FH3 - all the bugs are fixed and its not as cheesey, its also much cheaper and has the exact same cars.

Forza Motorsport 7 rules. It is completely loaded with content and the bugs are fixed. You will probably end up buying a force feedback steering wheel once you realize the greatness that awaits in that game. All the cars are fully customizable & tunable and they’re accurate to the real life versions (ie. gear ratios, trap times, lap times, etc.). There’s so much variety in FM7, its basically a 1-stop shop for racing games. The drag strip is awesome and you can customize cars specifically for it if you want to - for example you can drop a giant souped up crate engine (tuned to your liking) into an old '93 fox body Mustang Cobra with some massive slicks to match and you’ll be catwalking 8 second quarter mile times, racing your friends side by side online and everything. Throw in a FFB wheel setup w/ clutch & shifter and tell me that’s not the most fun you’ve ever had on your Xbox!!!

P.S. - FM7 on Xbox One X (4K) easily has the best graphics out of any game on that machine.

P.P.S. - Wheel support on FH4 is so horrifically bad that it makes me regret purchasing the game at all.

3 Likes

P.P.P.S. - You are truly not getting anything new & improved with FH4 compared to FH3, quite the contrary really. FH4 doesn’t tell you your lap time at the end of a race, and placing dead last gets you the same accolades & rewards as 1st place. You can literally come in last every race and still beat the game, and they continuously push women’s clothing on my male character via ‘wheelspins’. That should be enough warning about what lies inside the box with FH4.

4 Likes

FM7 has so much good content; hundreds upon hundreds of production cars, decades worth of open-wheeled F1 racers, indy cars, NASCAR, GT circuit cars, etc. And there is an equally vast selection of real life tracks, all dedicated to realism & lap times (like a real racing game should be).

With FH4 all you get are a bunch of vehicles that handle identically and some boring fake courses that will have you yawning after the 1st corner. The only highlights in FH4 are the speed traps & danger signs. Although both activities are fun, they are extremely arcadey. All this worthlessness is amplified by being forced to use a controller on top of everything.

2 Likes

Limited experience with both but FH4’s interface is much more polished especially the auction house. Forza 7 has better racing obviously and the cars feel a little more lively. Played FH4 once since I got motorsports. It has its place tho, sometimes you just want to run the open hills.

I wish this were the case…

After extensive experience with the Auction House in both games I can safely state that FH4’s auction house is on par with the rest of the game - substandard. Allow me to explain:

The menus in FH4 are an absolute mess to begin with, rarely have I seen such a cluttered mess. FM7 is no prize itself in this category but FH4 takes the cake by a long shot in having the most cluttered mess of main menu options I’ve ever seen. Onto the FH4 Auction House… Now while I totally agree that it is (barely) easier to navigate than FM7’s, it has one fatal flaw that sets it light years behind it’s big brother - u are basically guaranteed to get robbed at the very last second every time you bid on a car in FH4! They had the same problem in the other Horizons as well (because its the exact same game engine). Every time you bid on a car it will be all yours for hours until the very last second, and then some little punk will snake you for it. I’m not kidding, it happens 90% of the time or more. So kiss goodbye all those amazing deals that were dangled in front of your face! Eventually you’ll get so frustrated that you’ll end up paying full price for the car from the store. I don’t know if the PC version has a better timer or something and that’s how people always snake me for cars, but the Xbox version literally lines you up for failure and holds you hostage while you get robbed for cars that you were bidding on hours prior. Once that timer hits “1 minute” you are basically screwed, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting the car you were bidding on. The problem lies in the refresh rate of the bids - you have to back out of the menu to refresh the bidding list to see if anyone outbid you. Backing out & re-entering menus takes precious seconds out of your final minute countdown and lessens your chances of winning significantly. FM7 refreshes much faster and doesn’t have this big of problem getting you the cars you want. I eventually stopped bothering with FH4’s auction house all together, soon followed by me not playing FH4 at all.

After extensive experience with the Auction House in both games I can safely state that FH4’s auction house is on par with the rest of the game - substandard. Allow me to explain:

The menus in FH4 are an absolute mess to begin with, rarely have I seen such a cluttered mess. FM7 is no prize itself in this category but FH4 takes the cake by a long shot in having the most cluttered mess of main menu options I’ve ever seen. Onto the FH4 Auction House… Now while I totally agree that it is (barely) easier to navigate than FM7’s, it has one fatal flaw that sets it light years behind it’s big brother - u are basically guaranteed to get robbed at the very last second every time you bid on a car in FH4! They had the same problem in the other Horizons as well (because its the exact same game engine). Every time you bid on a car it will be all yours for hours until the very last second, and then some little punk will snake you for it. I’m not kidding, it happens 90% of the time or more. So kiss goodbye all those amazing deals that were dangled in front of your face! Eventually you’ll get so frustrated that you’ll end up paying full price for the car from the store. I don’t know if the PC version had a better timer or something and that’s how people always snake me for cars, but the Xbox version literally lines you up for failure and holds you hostage while you get robbed for cars you were bidding on for hours prior. Once that timer hits “1 minute” you are basically screwed, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting the car you were bidding on. The problem lies in the refresh rate of the bids - you have to back out of the menu to refresh the bidding list to see if anyone outbid you. Backing out & re-entering menus takes precious seconds out of your final minute countdown and lessens your chances of winning. FM7 refreshes much faster and doesn’t have near this size of problem. I eventually stopped bothering with FH4’s auction house all together, soon followed by me not playing FH4 at all.

The menus in FH4 are an absolute mess to begin with, rarely have I seen such a cluttered mess. FM7 is no prize itself in this category but FH4 takes the cake by a long shot in having the most cluttered mess of main menu options I’ve ever seen. Onto the FH4 Auction House… Now while I totally agree that it is (barely) easier to navigate than FM7’s, it has one fatal flaw that sets it light years behind it’s big brother - u are basically guaranteed to get robbed at the very last second every time you bid on a car in FH4! They had the same problem in the other Horizons as well (because its the exact same game engine). Every time you bid on a car it will be all yours for hours until the very last second, and then some little punk will snake you for it. I’m not kidding, it happens 90% of the time or more. So kiss goodbye all those amazing deals that were dangled in front of your face! Eventually you’ll get so frustrated that you’ll end up paying full price for the car from the store. I don’t know if the PC version had a better timer or something and that’s how people always snake me for cars, but the Xbox version literally lines you up for failure and holds you hostage while you get robbed for cars you were bidding on for hours prior. Once that timer hits “1 minute” you are basically screwed, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting the car you were bidding on. The problem lies in the refresh rate of the bids - you have to back out of the menu to refresh the bidding list to see if anyone outbid you. Backing out & re-entering menus takes precious seconds out of your final minute countdown and lessens your chances of winning. FM7 refreshes much faster and doesn’t have near this size of problem. I eventually stopped bothering with FH4’s auction house all together, soon followed by me not playing FH4 at all.

After a track day in FM7 I’ll sometimes take a car and just cruise around the Australian roads in FH3. Motorsport is intense, Horizon is very relaxing.

1 Like

Wow it looks like your crackhead website is on the fritz, I didn’t send the same post 4 times on my end.

1 Like

I have played every Forza Horizon game (FH1-FH4), and I will say this. If you could find a copy of the original Forza Horizon, I would definitely play that first. If not, wait for a good sale on Forza Horizon 3. Stay away from FH4. It will taint your view of the Horizon series.

Regarding the Forza Motorsport series, I have played them all with the exception of Motorsport 1. With that said, try your hand at Motorsport 5 and/or Motorsport 6. Use one or both of those to get a feeling for the Motorsport series without spending too much money.

1 Like

I personally greatly prefer the Horizon series to the Motorsport series, but they both have fairly crippling problems.

In FM7 you cannot compete unless you cheat by cutting the course. On some courses there is literally no possibility of doing the same lap times clean as can be done dirty, and the game doesn’t penalise you for cutting the course, indeed it perversely rewards you for dirtying every single lap by putting you further down the grid in the next race. Being as far down the grid as possible is a huge advantage, because the ranking points system gives you points for how much above your starting position you finish. So if you start first you can’t possibly score any points from that, you would ideally start last every race. So I noticed in races that every single driver apart from me was dirtying every single lap to avoid starting from the front of the grid. So I stopped playing it.

In FH4, you cannot compete unless you ram and wallride. Like cutting in FM7, wallriding in FH4 can lower your lap times to the extent that there is nobody in the world who can beat you clean. And there is no ghost mode, so many people will overtake you by ramming you from the inside of bends, and you won’t be able to get the place back if you try to race clean. Many people have requested a ghost mode, but AFAIA there has been no indication from the devs that they intend to add it. They have said they are looking at addressing wallriding. FH4 doesn’t have the cutting problem that FM7 has, because it uses a checkpoint system that makes it impossible to cut the course, your car will simply be reset back if you miss a checkpoint.

I much prefer the tracks in FH4 to FM7, I find most of the FM7 tracks deathly dull. The only FM7 tracks I can think of that come close to what FH4 has to offer are Atlanta and Prague. Maybe Maple Valley and the Bermese Alps courses as well, but while they seem superficially similar to FH4 tracks, they somehow just don’t provide the same excitement. And then you have the extra variety of the street, dirt and cross country races, plus the PR stunts and Horizon Stories, and personally I feel that overall it’s just miles better than Motorsport in terms of variety.

FM7 rivals (time trialling) is more functional than FH4’s. A particular gripe with FH4 is you can’t download a tune from a rivals leaderboard, so the game can feel more like a tuning contest than a driving contest. You can download tunes, but the game incentivises everyone to share tunes to try to gain the ability to sell cars at high prices, so as a result there are masses of tunes and no way to know which tunes are the best. A highly rated tune from a well known player can be slower than an unrated tune from a “nobody”, so you will spend an eternity either trying out vast numbers of tunes or trying to tune cars yourself to be competitive.

I prefer the handling of cars in FH4 to FM7. FM7 feels to me like cars have deliberately been made to drive badly in an attempt to provide more differentiation between how well people can cope with them. As a result, you can drive a dedicated racing car and find it handles worse than an everyday shopping car does in real life. The way cars drive in FH4 feels more like real life to me.

I agree with the comment from a poster above about the original FH, it’s still a superb game, but it only runs at 4k/30 and it’s horrible going back to that when you’re used to FH4 in 1080p/60. But I’m enjoying playing the same game that everyone else is playing right now, and that game is FH4 not the original FH.

1 Like

I give Horizon 4 a solid 8.5/10. Motorsport 7… 4/10. The driving experience in FM7 ranges from walking on eggshells to driving through molasses (Horizon has the molasses thing going at times but is forgiving enough you can dig in and have some fun). Almost every track/scene is distractingly dark in full daylight. FM7 physics seem difficult for the sake of being difficult (magic grass, exaggerated tire load/grip- relationship), and the steering is as sluggish as ever making them extra volatile. If you don’t have the game on an SSD be prepared to lag through the upgrades menu and garage. I could go on.

Horizon 4 is worth full price if you’re a seasoned driver/tuner ready to extract the most from it. I bought FM7 for $26 and regret it.

Are you guys using controllers? Because that sounds like controller user talk…

I use a controller. You never see anyone at the Forza RC using a wheel, even though apparently they’re allowed to if they want to.

That’s because wheels are at a massive disadvantage to controllers due to the tiny throw of the thumbstick vs. 900 degrees of rotation on the wheel. A simple little left flick of the thumb is comparable to ripping the wheel so hard & so fast to the left that you would literally rip it off its hinges and break every electronic part inside the thing. I think the developers are retarded for pooling all the wheel/controller players into the same races, that’s like pooling the Olympics & Special Olympics people into the same event. There should at least be a “wheel only” option for online races, especially for the Forza RC community.

I went from playing ‘expert’ level with a controller to ‘average’ when I switched to the wheel and have just barely made it to ‘highly skilled’ recently, so yes playing with a wheel is absolutely more difficult. It’s equally more fun than the controller though, and isn’t fun what we’re after anyway? You might actually learn some useful wheel techniques that could help you out in a pinch one day…

11 generations of Forza went by before it got semi-proper FFB support. Forza has always been a pad racer. And good joke about the “useful wheel techniques”. Real life is not so sadomasochistic if you have the presence to witness it fully rather than be paralyzed in fear. I’ve watched people crash, or “lose control” many, many times. I used to be afraid of “losing control” myself. You have to loosen your grip to perfect it. I’ll repeat, ****-retentive… You are trapped in Forza, let alone your own mind, if you must defend it so staunchly as some champion of racing/driving/physics realism.