Another sounds post, but not engine this time

Does anyone else feel shorted for environmental sounds?
Personally the engine sounds to me are just fine. I don’t care they are reused, cut and paste etc.

Currently I have environment at 100 and all the other sounds turned down to at least 50% and still not feeling the immersion of previous titles.

I have a high end Marantz/Klipsch full Atmos setup with 5.2.4 discrete speakers.

When Forza 5 came out, I had 7.1 audio and got a far better feeling of the environment, going under over passes, reverb of the exhaust off of structures etc.

It just gave a far superior feeling of speed and that you were sitting in the car.

Even in the UI with the garage noises in the background.

I’m just really missing the environment. I’ll take that over car accurate engine sounds all day.

2 Likes

You’re complaining about the environmental sounds while keeping them at 50%?

How about you turn them up to 80-100% and then report back.

I have mine set between 80-85% - everything is crystal clear: the crowd, the heli, the
heavy “whoosh” going under bridges/passes or passing by trackside objects within close range - the tire screeches, the wind noise and road noise, it’s all there. The reverb is actually insane - I can hear by exhaust bouncing off the environment even in cockpit view, although that may vary depending on the car and the level of insulation in the car’s cockpit. There’s definitely something with your sound setup.

Engine sounds, however, are absolutely the most important and have to stand out. They are currently improving those, thankfully, from what I understand.

Just turn up all the non-engine sounds and you’re good to go. Do you have the Dolby Access app? That allows you to tinker with EQ settings. Those may help.

If environmental sounds were any louder, they’d start drowning out the cars and that’d be totally wrong.

Can you point out where I said I had environment set to 50%?

Audio setup is worth over $15,000 and is calibrated using setup mics and a PC.
Movies sound better in my house than they do at the best theaters.
Yes I have the Dolby Access app

Previous Forza titles had way better environmental audio on the same setup.

Aha! Looks like I read that backwards, my bad!

In that case, it’s gotta be your set up, as I have my car set to 100%, AI cars set to around 80& and the environment and all other sounds set to around 85%-90%, minus the UI, which is usually around 50%.

Again, it’s gotta be your setup, as I’m hearing things right. The car sounds and exhaust reverb is standing out the most, as it generally does at a real racetrack - but I’m also hearing the environmental effects crystal clear, it’s all there. Minus the car sound inconsistencies, it’s actually a satisfying sound stage.

Get the Dolby Access app. Also, try setting your Xbox to PCM 5.1/7.1, avoid compressed formats like DTS, DD, DA, etc

I also just reread your comment on FM5 - that game was on a totally different level sound stage wise.

My sound only did cost around 2000€ or a bit less (DENON AVR+Teufel Speakers+YAMAHA Subwoofers) and i play the game in PCM 7.1 and it sounds pretty good. But i hate how loud it is if i drive under the bridge in Maple Valley. And if i drive close to walls the echo/reverb whatever it’s called is annoying too. I mean if there is a really tiny wall of like half a meter, it shouldn’t sound like i drive next to a 2 meter wall. But it does.

I have the same sound settings like you. If all is set to max, the crashes and curbs etc. are too loud for my taste. It has this massive bass and is so noisy if i crashed into other cars at 100% environment volume. I got my car at 100% AI cars and everything else at 85%. And i turned off that voice of the lady that tells you about about the last lap, penalties and such useless things.

Dude, I said I have the Atmos app. I feel like you are responding without reading what I say.

My setup is 100% correct, corrected for distance and speaker volume. I’m well aware how to set audio settings. My receiver is worth over $5000

What are you using for audio?

If ppl own a Porsche or a Ferrari that also doesn’t mean they know how to drive a car. If other ppl don’t have such problems, i guess the problem must be on your end somehow.

I think the game doesn’t support Dolby Atmos.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Dolby_Atmos

They say there is, but somehow ppl aren’t happy with the results mostly.

Maybe check it out yourself:

They also don’t mention Dolby Atmos with a single word in the Steam Store.

But there they say it does:

I’m very well versed on how to setup gear. My entire house is dialed in. I’m trained and educated in video and audio calibration.

I can instantly tell when audio has bad tracks like 2.0 etc. on movie and show downloads.

There is nothing wrong with my setup at all. Forza Motorsport is the only game I have issues with sounds.

Headphones, I agree the sound on environment is over the top. It’s not coming across a true Atmos setup that way.

The game literally sounds better if I turn off Atmos. On the receiver or in the Xbox.

The Atmos track in this game is not good.

But I have a person who doesn’t even have Atmos telling me it’s fine and my setup is the problem :joy:

The game supports Atmos, this is directly off the Forza Website

Well if you know it better then you should be able to fix the problem yourself. I do have a Dolby Atmos AVR, but no Atmos speakers, because i don’t wanna use that yet. I am happy with 7.1.

Good luck Mr. Superfancy.

1 Like

Which part do you recommend I change? Given your expertise.

One of these days I got to learn how to setup electronic equipment.

Flexing with your stuff real hard. But you still can’t solve your problem. :smiley:

Maybe the game just DOESN’t support it, although they say it does…

Switch to PCM 5.1 or 7.1 if you can, check out if that sounds right, if it does just live with it.

Maybe test Cyberpunk 2077 if you have that game, if Atmos works right there, if it does then Forza is the problem.

Or install ANY gamepass game that has Atmos.

I will play with my horrible horrible cheap sound now that still sounds perfectly fine.

Good luck.

1 Like

“Maybe you just think your setup sounds fine. It’s like playing 120 fps. Peasants don’t know what they are missing till they play 120 fps”

I am a peasant now? Because i am not that stupid and waste 15K on sound?

There has been this war between the High End ppl and the Teufel ppl in Germany for many years now. The funny thing is the Teufel speakers sound like very very expensive high end speakers and the fancy High End ppl are pissed about it that their speakers are basicly not worth the money they have spent.

Yeah it’s funny, there is a Hifi Forum about it. :smiley:

I’m not mad about anything. Why do you think I’m mad?

I don’t have ridiculously overpriced gear. I have mid tier stuff at best. What I don’t have is a sound bar.

Marantz is literally just Denon but its flagship brand. Klipsch is far from high end. It’s entry level at best. It costs so much because I have a receiver capable of driving so many channels and I have 11 speakers. Less than $500 a speaker isn’t a lot of money.

I’d actually challenge you to find a 5.2.4 setup for cheaper.
At the time 9 channel receivers required the top end. Probably only my subs that I over paid for. But they can shake my house
They allowed me to move my monster towers to another room and use smaller ones in my theater room, given my limited space.

I simply made a post about the Atmos track in this game. Not that I’m unhappy with my Atmos setup and gear. I love my gear.

I’ll take my setup with my 77" OLED over the theater anyday if the week.

The lady voice I turned off a long time ago, LOL.

I’ve actually turned down the environment sounds as the reverb can sometimes be alarmingly loud going through tunnels and the MV underpass. I kinda like it though, cars sound nice. It’s always cool to be able to adjust sliders to optimize the listening experience to your tastes. Curb sounds are nice too, FM7 had overly bassy curbs.
Hope we can get a slider for transmission whine.

1 Like

Problem fixed. Keep Atmos off. Enjoy the game.

750+ driver level, definitely enjoying the game. Just miss the audio of previous other titles.

Oh, audio was great on the previous titles. Eventually, they should be able to bring this game up the same way, perhaps, even exceed the audio of the previous games. Why not, right? New hardware and all.

1 Like

Just went back and played some Forza 7. Prague is amazing.

Without modifying the sound at all it sounds much better. I definitely had a little nostalgia “vision” when it came to clarity. New Forza is definitely way more detailed.

I still think Forza 7 has it beat in overall effect though.

Also its crazy how much easier that 7 is than the new one. FM is so much more sim than previous.

Actually have a renewed appreciation for the new one.

1 Like

Says the guy who flex all the time with his audio equipment. …