The Fall Of Forza Horizon

, , , ,

Thoughts?

Guy has a voice for writing. Considering that, the video is too long.

:roll_eyes: .

2 Likes

I watched this a few days ago, but not everyone has the time investment for a video like this so a little summary or bits of context would have helped in the OP.

In lieu of that, here’s an AI summary:

00:00:00 - 00:30:00

This YouTube video titled “The Fall of Forza Horizon” reflects on the history of the Forza Horizon series and how it has declined over time. The video discusses the strengths and weaknesses of each game in the series, including the original Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Horizon 4, and Forza Horizon 5. The video examines the differences between each game and discusses the community’s reaction to them, with a focus on gameplay mechanics, customization, physics, multiplayer modes, and the map design. The video also raises concerns about the game’s online connections, lack of content in the single-player mode, and the toxicity within the community. Finally, the video concludes that Forza Horizon is not in a good state, with many lead developers leaving the team, and many mechanics not being improved upon in years.

See less

• 00:00:00 In this section, the speaker reflects on their experience playing the Forza Horizon series and how they became disinterested despite being invested in the game for six years. To understand why they lost interest, the speaker goes back to the beginning of Forza Horizon in 2012 and examines the differences between Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo concerning customization, AI, and physics. In particular, Forza was praised for its ability to allow players to customize their cars extensively and for using a new approach to AI called Drivatar, which is based on data from player input. Although Forza was initially meant to be a realistic simulation, some players found the original physics to be too challenging, so the developers made it more accessible.
  • 00:05:00 In this section of the YouTube video, the narrator discusses the original Forza Horizon and how it differed from the Motorsport games. Set in an open world with a focus on street racing and music festivals, Horizon introduced a story which added to the immersion of the game. The game also included multiplayer modes that allowed players to join public lobbies for a variety of racing styles, and the community aspect was a great part of the original Horizon. However, the game had its problems with physics that felt off, paid DLC, and bugs that affected gameplay. Nonetheless, the original Forza Horizon remains a favorite among many players.
  • 00:10:00 In this section, the video discusses the second and third entries in the Forza Horizon series. Forza Horizon 2 was released in late 2014, and it improved upon the original game in several ways, such as the improved physics, better graphics, a larger car list, and the addition of tuning and drivetrain swaps. However, the music was not as interesting, and the online system was more impersonal, making it a bit worse than the first game. Forza Horizon 3 took everything good about the previous two games, combined them, and added even more features, such as a massive map with varied areas, a large car list with regional cars, customizable events, and custom characters, making it the fan-favorite in the series.
  • 00:15:00 In this section of the video, the speaker discusses the strengths and weaknesses of two Forza Horizon games: Horizon 3 and Horizon 4. While Horizon 3 is praised for its gameplay and design, it is criticized for its odd design decisions and unbalanced online races. Horizon 4, on the other hand, had the biggest car list, new mechanics, custom route Creator, and the biggest map of any Horizon game, but it had an abysmal launch state with graphics and collision physics issues and several terrible features. However, the biggest issue was the ranked online lobby system, which was plagued with bugs that made it almost impossible for players to rank up.
  • 00:20:00 In this section, the terrible online connections and lack of content in the single-player mode are discussed as major drawbacks of Forza Horizon. The community-based elements, including the in-game music and physics, were also criticized for not living up to the expectations of the players. The meadow hit its peak in Horizon 4, with some of the best cars locked behind DLC effectively making it pay to win, while the rear-wheel drive power build was designed to annoy drivers and surrounding drivers. Horizon 5, released after the COVID-19 lockdowns, did show some improvement in terms of online work, customizability of track creator, and a better launch but otherwise was very similar to Horizon 4. Overall, there wasn’t much to write home about in terms of gaming features, including the maps and playlist, for either game.
  • 00:25:00 In this section, the speaker discusses the playlists in Forza Horizon 4, which were a good way to add new content for players without having to pay extra. However, as time went on, the game became filled with recycled content, leaving the community monotonous and bored. Additionally, the community in Forza Horizon has become notorious for its toxicity, which is due to the game’s continued push towards a younger, more kid-oriented audience. While the Horizon Racing Academy is a group that can help progress and make players better racers, the speaker announces that Forza Horizon is not in a good state as many lead developers have left the team, and many mechanics have not been touched or improved upon in years.
10 Likes

I agreed with the video as soon as i saw the title. The biggest mistake playground and turn 10 did was that in their pursuit to please everyone they forgot the very thing that made these game popular in the first place. And that was racing, racing is pretty much gone now and the only thing that is left, is one big empty playground for kids to smash stuff.

But you can clearly tell that not even the people making this game care anymore, they don’t test for bugs and that started way back in fh4, so with every new update is a new set of bugs atop of the old bugs who never get fixed, i can go on and on but its not hard to tell they don’t care anymore.

2 Likes

I still want to be optimistic and think/hope that the right team and intent from the studio can see greater games than we’ve seen before and be truly memorable again in their own right.

My hope is in time we see a rise again video, but it’s hard to add anything to what’s already been said. It could be a lot worse, it’s just frustrating knowing that it could be better.

2 Likes

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning swearing if the game gave me any guff I’d probably just call it done. Somehow, the gremlins must have read my mind. Two decently long play sessions and not a single issue. How can I harness this threat of revolt to maintain that :thinking:

2 Likes

I watched it few days ago its got some things in the first half but the rest of the video falls short to adress anything important. More than anything its made for clicks. Apparently its a hot topic so youtubers will try and ride the trend. Not that its not true that horizon is falling in the eyes of many.

In the end of the video he makes a point about Moses B quitting racing games…I see now he’s even rebranded his channel. A little while after horizon 5’s launch the man makes this video:

I imagine this guy has been playing horizon for way longer than i have. And in this video he constantly praises how horizon 5’s map is soo great and how its on the level of Horizon 3’s Australlia. Also how great it is that we finally have progression and how the characters are so great. Just watch this vid

This stand against everything that anyone who’s been long enough in the community ever thinks about the game. The entire video is soo out of touch and literally if theres anything that the hardcore player hates its being praised in his video. Clearly he was just riding on the hype train to swoop those fresh views while horizon 5 is still trending at its highest.
He’s gone as far as commenting on Whitelights horizon isnt 10/10 how he agrees with him like wut? Werent you the one hyping up the game in every single aspect and now you agree with him? Its very easy to sprinkle positivity and just talk about how the game is so amazing and fun but its a whole other deal of difficulty to turn criticism into valuable piece of work.

This video is just a trend riding clickbait that tries to sound deep and complicated just like Moses B’s game documentaries. All flashy with not much underneath it all.

4 Likes

Moses didn’t quit due to the state of the game(s) I don’t think, he quit because some people in the racing game community doxxed him which is obviously really bad.

1 Like

Just a bunch of whiny stuff to me. IMO Forza series Horizon has become the best Racing game over the years and also IMO, Horizon 5 recently added DLC that shows a direction to taking on the Dirt rally genre. The dlc shows promise in doing a future in straight up rally, car handling and track structure sees to be a credit to devs in adding a Forza Rally game to compete with the dirt games in the future.

Well, everyone’s allowed an opinion, no matter how right, wrong, or clearly-influenced by a desire to be a hypeman it is, I suppose.

3 Likes

I don’t feel liking FH a lot being a “Hypeman” at all? Just a passionate Gamer.