Forza Horizon on XB1 - More Trouble Than it's Worth?

Hi all,

As I’ve been getting hammered by the nostalgia of racing on the original Forza Horizon, I keep thinking of moving the game over to my Xbox One. I’ve read success stories of the game working just fine, but I’ve also read that DLC doesn’t work, and in some cases, entire saves are gone. Given that I’ve completed the game to 100%, own all seven unicorns (plus some duplicates), own at least one of every base game car, and own ALL of the DLC except for the LCE stuff and the Rockstar Mustang (yes I have the Pizza Hut Boss 302), I’d stand to lose a lot were my save to be messed up. Also, in some instances, I’ve read that the game doesn’t even run all that well on the XB1, with frequent framerate drops and stutters.

So now I must ask, is it worth it to bring all of my stuff over to the XB1, or should I just leave it on my 360? I’d like to use my XB1 to play it, but I’ve too much to lose if things go wrong, so I don’t want to risk it just to find out I only have access to 75% of the game and/or everything I did is gone.

For those that say yes and own some/all of the DLC, how did you get it to work? Can you still access all of the DLC cars on the XB1? Do you need to re-buy any from the Autoshow?

lost my save and unicorns, was able to redownload all the dlc from the history as i had purchased them previously. Started again from scratch with no notable issues. After all this time it’s been enjoyable revisiting the game.

Thanks for the response, and I’m sorry to hear about your save.

I’m assuming all of the DLC was under the Manage Games section, as the DLC is no longer listed in the XBL Marketplace, or did you downloaded them before it was de-listed?

i had purchased the dlc several years ago. It was just a matter of going through my download history and redownloading them from there :slight_smile:

Well, I did it. I initially had the bright idea of moving an alternate account’s gamesave over, and if that was lost (no loss as I had nothing major on there), I wouldn’t do it. Alas, Cloud Saves are only available to Gold members. I moved everything that said “Saved Data” under the name of the object over to the Cloud Save, went on the XB1, installed the game, all of the DLC (even my Pizza Hut Mustang) was under the Ready to Install section of Manage Games for Forza Horizon, got all of that situated, and when I booted up the game, everything was fine.

Won’t lie, hearing that music at the title screen again made my heart feel all warm and fuzzy :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies David!

I liked being able to play this on the Xbone but, even after the last update a couple of weeks ago, the FFB still feels OFF to me. It just feels weird after playing MS7 or H3.

Hi guys. I’m glad someone created this post, and it’s not very old.

Here is my story. I completed the solo/career mode in FH1 about 2 years ago on the XBOX 360. I didn’t take the time to complete all the achievements (Rally, Online, 1000 Club). Now I want to circle back and complete those achievements on the XBOX One.

About 6 months ago, I installed the game and DLC (Rally Pack) on the XBOX One and starting playing the game from scratch. I was not aware that my saved games could be transferred, I figured I had to start over. From what I read here, and other places, my saved games can be transferred to the XBOX One.

I want to try to do the transfer as I have several million credits and nearly 200 cars on the XBOX 360.

Here is my question: Since I already started playing on the XBOX One, how will that effect the save games when I move my 360 files to the cloud? Should I delete my XBOX One saves first?

How should I proceed?

Thank you,

Whole different game engine. I use a controller, so I can’t be of too much help when it comes to wheels, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you needed to adapt on an older game for it to work well.

For starters, if you don’t have a Gold membership, hold off on anything until you do. Cloud saving is only available to Golds.

Personally, I would delete the Xbox One save. I don’t think there’s an option to select from which storage you want the data chosen (local hard drive or Cloud), although I can’t help but think that the only option for 360 back-compat games played on the XB1 first is a cloud storage option anyway. With all the back-compat games I never had before on the 360 thanks to Games with Gold (like Army of Two and Dead Space), I’m fairly sure I was only allowed to select the Cloud.

Your 360-era gamesave would probably be stored on the internal (or external) hard drive of your 360, right? Then yes, I would delete the XB1 save. It would automatically be cloud-saved, so you’d probably corrupt something if you tried to import your other save using the same cloud. AFAIK, you can’t have two different saves with the same Gamertag, provided it’s not a game that allows multiple saves/profiles per game (which FH1 doesn’t).

After the deletion, go on to your 360, go to Storage, find Forza Horizon, and (this is what I did) move everything over that has “Saved Data” underneath it. This includes your save, but can also include designs, tunes, and photos, if you have any. They should say things like “LAYER GROUPS” and “UPGRADE FILES”, etc. There was also a “Marketplace Update” or something like that that I moved over, it was 13MB. You do have to MOVE it, not COPY it. I don’t think it allows you to copy it anyway. You don’t have to delete installed DLC or anything.

After that is done (it can take some time), turn off the XB360 and go back on your XB1. You have the benefit of having the game and DLC installed on there already. If all goes well, upon starting the game, the data will sync (which can take some time as well), and everything should be ok.

If there’s any further clarification I can help you with, let me know, but unfortunately I’m not Xbox Tech Support, so if something goes wrong, I’d ask them instead.

Hope this helps!

That’s a fantastic explanation. Thank you xJonxMonx56 .

I’m going to try tonight. I’ll reply here with the result.

Well, I transferred my saves from XBOX 360 to XBOX one, and it seemed to work, but there are some noticeable deficiencies.

Even though my map shows ever race, showcase, and other event is complete, I only have 2.7 million credits. Also, I seemed to have lost all my cars. The only cars I have in my garage are the barn find cars. Just to verify a few things, I double-checked my stats. I am 100% complete with the career mode, with the exception of completing about 5-6 PR stunts.

I also checked my stats on the 1000 club. I have won 750 medals, and earned medals in 142/146 cars, so that proves I had at least 142 cars at one point.

There’s nothing I can do about it know. I can’t complete the rest of the 1000 club achievements either, since I never owned the Season Pass for the cars.

Thanks again for your help.

Won’t lie, I was afraid something bad would happen to you. I suppose on the upside, you get to basically replay the entire game to get money for the cars, provided you wanted a reason to run through it all again. Additionally, the Barn Finds being saved is fortunate. Pro-Tip: “Canyon Run” Street Race, can’t remember whether it was by the Festival street races or the Observatory street races, as few assists as possible and as hard of a difficulty you can still win with is the quickest way to grind credits. It only takes about a minute and a half (from what I can remember) and can net you over 110K CR each time. I used a Ford RS200 with the Rally Transmission and other upgrades to make it S 700.

I’m really sorry that happened to you.

Thanks for your help, and your condolences:) Before I did the transfer, I suspected there might have been something wrong with the 360 saves. I think there must have been. It’s not a huge deal. In fact, it gives me an excuse to start over if I choose.

Thanks again.

I do have one more question, if you can answer.

If I do decide to start from scratch. how do I remove all traces of current save game files? I am playing on the XBOX One now, and I know the saves are in the Cloud. Which Cloud? The 360 cloud or the XBOne cloud?

1. Do I need to login to my 360 and delete the cloud files from there?

2. How do I access the cloud saves from the XBOne?

3. What about local saves on the XBOne?

Thanks in advance.

It’s possible, especially if something was corrupted.

Sometimes, it is quite nice to have a reason to start a good game over again though!

Actually, I’m not entirely sure. I believe you can just disable cloud saves on the 360 (so you can’t play on both consoles) but how to delete it entirely? I thought it’d just be a matter of going to My Games and Apps → Forza Horizon → Manage Game → Saved Data → Delete, but all I have there is “Reserved Space”.

Perhaps try deleting that and see? If nothing works there, then I’d go on your 360 and see if you can find something there.

If all else fails, I guess you can make another Gamertag!

I would at least move it back to the Xbox 360 in case you want to play there with your first save file?

Then disable cloud in the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One save file should be free to be deleted without affecting the Xbox 360 save file.

Just like when we can always use different Memory Units in the Xbox 360 and start the game as many times we want, but this is the Cloud as a shared Memory Unit between the 2 consoles (and likely being updated when the game is saved/deleted).

Of course as the only consumables (only thing you can potentially lose, except time with Credits, etc) in Forza are the useless Tokens you may not even bother.
*If you really don’t care, I mean. Because for me losing a save file would be very very very frustrating and I would be very unhappy.

Thanks for your help and advice. I’ll way my options and eventually make my decision.

One thing to point out, i just found that on my “X” i cannot add vinyls to my cars as all vinyls are invisible when placing them.

I guess I’m glad I started the game on my Xbox one s. After the latest update, the game looks fantastic on my one x.

It does look awesome, but do you find that the liveries are corrupted on the cars, and you cannot place vinyls on the car due to them being invisble?

I haven’t messed with vinyls, and I may not have even messed with decals since. But I do see the decals aren’t high-res like the rest of the game.