[ANSWERED] Fix to Forza Horizon 4 Crashing Constantly - PC - Random Crashes

Alright I might have fixed my issue. I’m running Ryzen 7 1800X overclocked from 3.6 to 4.0 Ghz, combined with overclocked memory from 2133 to 2933 MHz. This isn’t really that stable on Ryzen, so I decided to disable all overclocks. (Also 2 of my friends are playing the game, one of my friends has a slight CPU overclock and he mentions a couple of freezes/crashes, about 8 total in 2 weeks, and my other friend has no overclocks at all and he runs the game perfectly) I could play for one and a half hours without any crash or freeze. I’ll do some more stability testing this friday, I’ll keep you guys up to date on my progression.

Interesting, I’m overclocked to 4.6ghz right now with memory being at around 1.5ish (1.3 base), but I’ve not had crashes related to overclock instability.
Although usually when your overclocks are unstable you’ll get programs crashing and bsods.

I haven’t had any single issue with anything else but Forza Horizon 4… I think the game is a little fragile seeing all the different problems people are having an their solutions to it…

I know my system might be a little unstable because i ran stress tests (intel burn test, yes on an AMD cpu, free and does it’s job)… I don’t really need the overclocks since the game runs at 120 FPS average on Ultra 1440p

Alright so now, after some time ingame, I can confirm that the issue was my overclocks. Disabling my overclocks would let me play the game well beyond the maximum of half an hour that I got before I disabled my overclocks. Maybe it’s because of an RAM memory issue that gets amplified when I (unstable) overclocked my system?

Same issue

My System

Acer Predator 17x
GTX 1080
32GB Ram
1TB M2 SSD

I play Ultimate Edition with no Problems but the last Patch crashed my game and I can not Start the game.

Same problem. :frowning:

I’ve tried everything under the sun short of buying a $5k Alienware system, keeps crashing.

Don’t waste your money, my system is on par with one of those and still has issues. It’s something software related.

My game crashes right after I press the load screen enter and I have tried everything that everyone has posted why cant Forza just fix this issue I paid $140 for a game that’s “fully released” fix this.

1 Like

I also had problems with game crashes.
If the graphics settings were left at the recommended level, the game could work for a while, but then it would still close.
If the graphics are changed to Ultra, the game immediately crashes.
I was helped by removing the update KB4100347 and freezing updates for 35 days.

The game now works perfectly! CPU load 25-50% in the game.

My system: Ryzen 1600x stock, 16 gb, RX 580 XTR. Game installed on SSD Q300 PRO. I am playing 2560*1400 75Hz with full freesync and lock 75 fps.

And why do I need this Intel microcode update (KB4100347) if I have a computer on a Ryzen processor?

Ok I think I’ve fixed the crashing problem for myself and hopefully it’ll work for you guys.
What I did was uninstall windows update KB4100347 and disable windows automatic updates and restarted.
Then I changed all of my overclocks back to factory settings (Both CPU GPU and I changed my ram overclock to the XMP profile)
Oh and I made sure MSI afterburner wasn’t running.

I’ve just played for 2 hours straight no crashing when before it would crash less then 5 minutes into the game.
I know it sucks losing the performance boost from the overclocks but it’s worth it to play the game and I hope this works for some of you

nope
none of those things have anything todo with it
give it a week it will still crash

1 Like

Crashing all the time on PC, Usually at the start of some kind of loading, Opening autoshow, Fast Travel, Start of a race, etc.

All my drivers/bios were up to date, and even just had a Computer Tech run through my system to try to figure it out, and later that day it crashed three times in 2 hours.

Has Even Crashed twice on my Xbox One S in two days, which I switched over to until I could have a tech check my PC out. Only had FH3 crash a half dozen times in two years.

Also, I can’t even stream FH4 without an instant crash, but could FH3, with a few more crashes then normal.

Ryzen 7 1700x LC
RX 580 8GB Ref
16GB 2400 RAM Samsung
Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Um I think I know how to fix this problem, just open up NVIDIA GeForce Experience and let it load up and go to your games start up Forza Horizon 4 AND BOOM it works!!! that’s my way of getting it to run I just figured it out just now.

i tried everything, i borrowed rx 580 8gb and not single crash in 2 hours
before that i used gtx 1070, again i don’t have any crashes in any other game i played so far, only FH4 causing problems, now i dunno if i should keep 580 and get rid of 1070 just for this game, obviously 1070 is at least 30 fps faster, so yeah, there is that

If you got a 1070 just play it in 1440p Ultra Preset with 4xAA, 60 FPS V-Sync Enabled, most of the time you will have the desired 60 FPS, and the game never crashes. Just don’t set it all to Ultra or Extreme, the game doesn’t like it if you got to high GPU usage. It should be around 60-80% while playing and a bit higher in menus then it’s stable, and still looks good enough. The game is very unstable with unlocked FPS, just use V-Sync 60 FPS and give the GPU enough room to “breathe”.

i’m running it at 1080p@60fps on 580 with exact same settings i was running it on 1070, all maxed out, i did try it with high settings and crashing didn’t change with 1070
again not a single crash on 580, so for me it is either nvidia driver or some conflict nvidia with this game in particular
i tried every possible nvidia driver with DDU cleaning, with amd i just installed latest beta driver and played for hours without using any tricks like crashing explorer or reseting my lan adapter, nvidia driver is a mess
ironically amd used to be in the same boat and now it seems they switched places

Update to my earlier posts, experimented around with each of the Extreme settings. It appears Mirror Reflection Quality set to Extreme is the problem. No crashes at House cutscenes for any of the other Extreme settings.

Helped me a lot. Thanks!

I believe it is Nvida driver related.

Same as it was in FM7.

I’ve never found a cure but some driver versions just seem to be more stable than others.

Still frustrated with Forza (FM and FH) on PC stability for many months now.

Typically after a CTD if I do not reboot my PC, I will get guaranteed CTDs so I always reboot after a CTD and it can then run for hours and hours.

It can also CTD after a reboot too, but typically 85% of the time one reboot after CTD will allow me a couple of hours.