[ANSWERED] Fix to Forza Horizon 4 Crashing Constantly - PC - Random Crashes

yes it is, i just reinstalled my 1070 and boom crash after 10 minutes, can play any other recent game without any issues, my kid has 580 and game is stable for him, upgraded from 470
with 1070 i have to crash explorer to play stable without crashes, but it’s annoying

Hey guys, been trying to get this working for about a week now and this thread seemed to be the most helpful with actual statistics and figures involving RAM etc. so I thought I’d post my findings here.

I think I have finally fixed my game. I think it may be both driver and RAM related, and how Forza uses RAM. Firstly I downloaded DDU and uninstalled all my drivers doing a clean reset, then installed Nvidia driver 399.24. I launched the game after this and played for around 10 minutes (longer than my average 2-3 minutes), however I crashed. Unfortunately I didn’t have my resource monitor open at the time.

Now, I then opened resource monitor and kept an eye on RAM usage. Up to 8GB was in use, with nothing else open but Forza and my anti virus however the standby RAM was getting ate up quickly. I was left with about 200MB of free RAM at one point, which I then cleared with RAMmap. Back to 8GB free, game running smoothly I continued to play. I played for around an hour no issues, medium-high settings. The standby RAM was increasing, but not to the point of having just MB left of free. My theory is that previous drivers were causing instability along with Forza being unable to reuse standby RAM causing the game to crash (annoyingly with no error message, seriously, you need those guys, get them in).

So my advice would be to follow these steps in order and see for yourself. DDU> 399.24 driver> RAMmap from Microsoft> clear standby when necessary

Cheers

EDIT:

Nevermind. Crashes as soon as I enter the game today. Here’s the resource monitor. The spike is when I crash to desktop.

Very generic crash report.

Faulting application name: ForzaHorizon4.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb7917b
Faulting module name: ForzaHorizon4.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb7917b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000278c69c
Faulting process ID: 0x15cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d46868491260ab
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.197.899.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.197.899.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon4.exe
Report ID: f4380716-3902-4414-b717-ff649369c1ae
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.197.899.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: SunriseReleaseFinal

random crashed approved. there was one again 5 minutes ago.

Don’t know what i have done, but today, i can’t play more than 5 minutes…
Really I don’t know what to say…

I am lauching the game via W.Store Library, this solution would have make me let enjoy the game more propraly (crashes at 1 hour or two, sometimes even no crash)
But today, its hell
I have change nothing, the PC is clean

I, from the bottom of my heart !!

I don’t know,

Are we suppose to go through all of these, i i mean really

Its not normal, Thats not the normality of gaming.

Desperate Gamer
This is the first and last forza for me

sorry :frowning:

Hey all i’m having the same issue, with a 2080RTX and the latest drivers, i can play for a race, then the game exits … i’ve read here and there that there are problems with the lack of ram, i’m having a 32 gb setup so plenty to go around.
I have no idea what’s happening with it… can’t this issue be fixed ?

Welcome you who are searching for fix. Here is the fix. HAPPY PLAYING !!
Make .bat file with this lines :

@echo off

START explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe!SunriseReleaseFinal

TIMEOUT /T 70 /NOBREAK
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

:LOOP
TASKLIST | FIND /I “FORZAHORIZON4” >nul 2>&1
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
GOTO CONTINUE
) ELSE (
ECHO fh4 is still running
TIMEOUT /T 5
GOTO LOOP
)

:CONTINUE

START explorer.exe
EXIT

3 Likes

I run a very similair rig as poster my 4690 is overclocked to 4.1, 16gb ddr3 with a gtx 1060. I am gonna try ur solutions now and will post further results later on.

I could play perfectly last night with no issues at all for hours… I could close the game, restart it etc.
I then wake up this morning and try to launch the game but a few seconds after i hit enter the game freezes and crashes.

I pulled out my Ethernet and try to launch it again, this time after hitting enter theirs an error code 0x8024402c and says something about receiving an update but then the game works absolutely fine but obviously it cant access my save with no intenret connection so its back at the beginning of the game none of my stuff or with no online features.
If I then restart the game this time with internet the original problem occurs.

Obviously i have no intention to play the game without my save or any online features etc but ive tried everything i can find online so far and nothing works. The fact the game runs absolutely fine without internet seems as if theirs a problem with the connection to the forza servers and receiving my save file.

I wonder if our save files are corrupted with the crash bug, meaning we are doomed with every sync…

I recently bought new 3600mhz ram and started to get the same commited memory crashes, no problem in other games.
so just for a test lowered the ram to 3200mhz and no more random crashes. so far atleast.
maybe its something related to just my ryzen platform but who knows, maybe forza is just very sensitive to any small memory errors.

Anyone experiencing PC crash issues, please submit support ticket at https://support.forzamotorsport.net