Am I the only one that HATES what they've done with the physics in FH5?

I’ve found that all the Forza Motorsport titles since FM5 suffer from understeering cars in standard tune (or even homologated), which is odd in cars notorious for terminal oversteer in real life.

The Horizon games used to be more forgiving, but a good RWD tune worked superbly wet or dry. Off-road events just needed rally suspension and tyres, some times 4WD.

The snow added in FH3 needed snow tyres, which worked as off-road tyres in the mainland, but RWD rally cars still were effective and fun.

But the introduction of seasons and weekly Forzathon series events in FH4 made 4WD essential on every car for me to have any chance in them. FH5 repeats that, and adds some more changes. The ones I’ve noticed are:

• Long jumps stop you dead (but not the AI, who can also jump further in unmodified cars).

• Some cars are more nose heavy, so drop like a stone and often cartwheel. Great if this was a gymnastics sim, but not helpful in a 3 minute race. Naturally, the AI cars aren’t afflicted.

• Brakes seem like drums not discs. Braking distances from the 1950s.

• ABS doesn’t always give the pulsing feedback as per real life, and doesn’t stop lock up. Doesn’t help steer while braking either, because still locking up, so pretty useless now.

• The need to have 4WD exacerbates the understeer, so I guess that’s realistic, but real cars have the torque split front to rear based on their brand characteristics.

• Turbo lag is now a thing, excessively so. Perhaps more realistic, but means turbo cars need engine swaps or a supercharger.

5 Likes

That is available in tuning.

No help if you use someone else’s tune.

Can’t adjust someone else’s tune.

Please don’t tell me to learn how to tune.

Well you could ask someone to make a tune for you, maybe they will?

There are some car cant fix by tuning.
H5 Veneno it cant turn in more like H4 within the grip limit.
Many tune for this car in H5 are make it tricky to drive and it still slide to outside(it oversteer but not turning in)

Suspension offroad landing dead stop thing are also like this.
You gonna get a ruined bad car handing or it still dead-stop.

(but there are other cars can magically dont have much problem so now it got unbalance issue)

well, there is no racing game nobody complains the physics
every racing game has cars that do better and cars that do bad

my approach since decades: find the car that fits my driving style and geting use to it because every game is different

if I don’t like the physics at all (like NFS) I don’t play it

I wouldn’t expect a change in balance or physics

If you have proofable evidence something is wrong with a specific car and you are able to describe a method to reproduce wrong behavior, write it down in a support ticket

2 Likes

that is just common in arcade racing games to make it overall useable for casual gamers
like FH has a steeringangle lock at higher speeds

1. If compare to other aracade game it still the best one.
  2. There is like half of the S2 car list are acting like the same way because it is not a bug. And also S1
    Compare to H4
    H4 got more freedom on cars selection. In S2 hyper cars are faster and track cars is lower top speed but better handling.
    H5 it simply track cars/race car good at everything.

Why you think I didnt adjust to other cars? I did.
But I am asking to make more cars Usable in online MP. Jesko Veneno and some Koenigsegg.

And why the hell I need to create unnecessary ticket for a suggestion?
It is already a offical forum. And I may need others to discuss/correct my suggestion.

That’s possible, true, and could result in a great partnership, but such a thing shouldn’t be necessary in a pick up and play style game. Likewise having to change dead zones on a console game.

I didn’t adressed you at all

It’s a tuning game, and tuning should be necessary in a tuning game. :slightly_smiling_face:

Really? I thought it was a car racing game. :unamused:I wonder what ‘Car Mechanic Simulator 2021’ is about then.

1 Like

As a G923 user, this 1000 times.
The difference for us is night and day - and FH4 is so lacking in this area compared to FH5 I can’t even go back and play it any more - it’s awful feeling, and handles so '‘dead’ compared to FH5. I also feel exactly the opposite about braking - FH5 actually feels “real” to me now… FH4 it was nearly impossible to “feel” the brakes and that is a huge thing.

As for hand held controllers - they frankly feel exactly the same to me between the games, but I still think FH5 is better just because I know there are more inputs from the physics engine there for them too.

Sorry OP, I cannot agree. Having used both Handheld and Wheel, FH5 Physics is a vast improvement over FH4 on either. Its new and has its own learning curve like any engine change does in a game or new button presses / combos etc.

GLHF!

4 Likes

Best example I can give of this is Turning, and especially when on the edge of grip.
In FH5 I can actually feel the point that the weight and momentum of the car overcome
the grip of the tires, and get the correct pull from the FFB on the wheel, and seamlessly correct it, just like I would IRL. When I go back to FH4 this feeling - this action and return from the physics engine simply does not exist. What I learned going back was: In FH4 I was basing how I drove on other cues, some times visual - or sound based - Driving in FH5 with proper feedback put my focus for those feedback where it belongs. I in essence forgot those ques I had to use in FH4 as I didn’t need them any more. When I go back now, I’ve been retrained to “feel” the proper ques and when they aren’t there - all i do is spin out and lose control - like some total noob - it was really entertaining to be honest… I couldn’t even handle cars on the highway and that was a large part of what I did in that game.

It was eye opening to say the least.

3 Likes

If you are struggling with this here is my advice.

Throw away every single thing you brought with you from FH4, tunes, tuning strategies, all of it. forget it and start over, relearn it. The faster you do this, the faster you’ll “get it” again. Trust us. :slight_smile:

I have found so many cars in this game are really good 100% stock, or even just applying upgrades to top the PI class they start in, and not even doing any real tuning with them. Certainly nothing wild or gimmicky like in FH4, although FH5 also has some gimmick tunes happening too… but in general, I feel like a lot more cars are competitive across the whole spectrum and what we see at the top cars today are people simply trapped in the old ways and methods (and hey they still work to some degree so, why not.) I think over time, we will see that more and more cars exceed the current set of top performers as more an more people figure out the new physics and really start to hone the tuning on other cars.

I’ve been far more competitive in FH5 with my own tunes than I ever was in FH4. And I feel I owe a lot of this to how much better the cars handle in FH5 where I can bring my real life skills and abilities and apply them to this game - this has been a huge factor as to why I enjoy this game so very much.

4 Likes

Not quite. Slight lowering of tire pressure to make sure your tires are warm yet not overheated all the time will improve grip and responsiveness.

There are lots of new car add to the game and useless in MP since day1.
Not sure what kind of magic new concept tuning balabala can change it since there are no other people driving it and have a good result with it in online mp.
Even some top tuner in the game cant fix it.

In S2 is almost a track toy game unlike older title people can bring more heavy tuned S1 A cars into S2 and still be competitive.

I did not say I still felt it was still a controller issue. I said if you still don’t enjoy the driving then fair play. :+1: :crazy_face: