Almost Two Years In, Is a Single Fresh Track Too Much To Ask?

I agree with a lot of the things you said in your post but ^^this?

There’s way more tracks and cars in FM7, so how did you figure that?

2 Likes

Few things here:

Buying cars is basically microtransactions? How? Unless it’s DLC, you can’t buy then with real world money.

A feature being pointless to you, is not pointless for others. The Auction House, Speciality Dealer and Forzathon could all be overhauled and improved, however, at least they’re there to begin with. They’re not even present in the previous installments. Not only that but the Auction House was a huge community led request for years.

How did FM5 have more content? That’s just false. Less cars, less tracks, less features.

Homologation, though not perfect, provides much closer racing than the class based system. It’s rare a division gets a completely OP car like the GT40 in A class. The system can be improved upon, but Forza GT is a good example that the system can be balanced and has potential.

What’s your reason that widebodies should not be in the game? There’s no reason to exclude them, especially when the forums and community in general has been crying out for more customization since FM1.

FM7 has a dedicated hopper for Race Regulations. While it’s not been spread for every hopper yet and may never be, it is still there, it’s still playable and is an important test bed for the future.

Also as for dynamic weather, it’s present. FM7 didn’t even have any weather conditions what so ever. It was literally static.

Your points revolve around the features listed not being perfectly implemented, which is a legitimate argument, but previous titles didn’t even have these features to being with! They had no content, none of this stuff whatsoever.

Though I completely agree some areas need an overhaul, something is better than nothing. This is why most people regard FM5 as one of if not the worst Forza game made because it had nothing.

1 Like

In older forzas you could buy the cars with tokens, on this games release they had a similar system which I believe was changed which is clearly a microtransaction that has been in the forza series to include FM7

Those features are pretty much all worthless and I’m sure most here would agree with that opinion. Being useful to a few is a waste of resources that could have been used on something else like balancing, more tracks, etc.

I prefer the class based system, there’s no point in homologation because 1-2 cars still dominate instead of 4-5 cars in the class system. Go race in the league race then see everyone using the same car or two and it becomes apparent really damn fast that it’s not balanced at all. It just “feels” close because the cars aren’t being used to their full potentials. Once that happens, the gap in each cars abilities becomes glaringly obvious.

Widebodies have enabled lower class cars to become completely broken and unbalanced. You can just use thicker rear tire width to make a rev banger go straight and this is coming from a guy who actually prefers speed over handling. If they are still going to have them, then they need to nerf their score for using the part unlike what they do now.

Race regs are pretty bad in this game, what this game needs is not race regs, but a sportsmanship rating right now. With how bad the track lines are, there’s no point in even making them until the track limits themselves are fixed. If they added this to every single hopper I would drop this game on the spot because more than half the time it doesn’t even allow you to use curbs which you can see in real racing and in every other racing game.

Dynamic weather is a lot better but it causes my screen to be too dark during a race making it impossible to see anything which is yet, another problem this game has. Sense of speed from zooming out the faster you go and lack of depth. I can’t even see when a corner is approaching until I’m already there, compare that to other games and it becomes blatantly obvious how much harder it is to race without the racing line on in forza than in other games. If you were new to forza and you raced with the line off, good luck figuring out where you’re supposed to brake. Even though I don’t like GT Sport much, I never had that issue a single time, not in iRacing either because I could see the corners approaching from a mile away.

A bad feature is a pointless feature. Only talk about “added features” if they actually bring value to the game. If they were using this game as a test then they damn well better offer FM8 to me for FREE for supporting them all this time with their testing.

Token system was never present in Forza Motorsport 7. It never existed.

Homologation is far closer than class based racing. It’s not perfect and yes, some divisions are worse balanced than others, but the majority offer closer racing simply because of restrictions. It needs to be improved on but it’s far better than what we had. The gap between the worst car and the best car is reduced when racing in homologated divisions.

Forza Race Regulations is not perfect but it’s much much better than no penalty system what so ever. Certain tracks like YAS Marina were completely undriveable online because of corner cutters. The final update to FRR should also improve it even further and add disqualification which would be very nice. Yes, I do agree there should be a safety rating however. I posted that in another thread but apologies, I can’t think of the name of the top of my head. As for track limits, I agree they’re harsh but it’s something that’s very hard to implement because different leagues irl have different rules for the exact same track so I understand why they went for a very standard rule set. Look at COTA in Idycars vs in F1. The track limits were completely different. I do however think that the “2 tires must be in with the white lines at all times is dumb”. Imo, it should be “1 tire must be touching the white lines”. That in itself would be a huge improvement.

As for the animations, turn them off and use the low FOV dash cam, problem solved.

Widebodies haven’t enabled lower class racing to become unbalanced, the broken PI and Class based system we’ve had for years has done that. Look at FH3 for example. Skinniest tires, max power builds, AWD and least grip dominates. You could get a 1500 HP car in C Class. In FM3, AWD also completely dominated everything. You don’t get this anywhere near as much with Homologation.

Even though these features I listed were not implemented to my liking, I maintain the fact it’s better than not having them at all. Things like the AH was ridiculously requested and it’s much better it’s there then not. Hopefully, they improve all of these features for FM8, which I’m sure they will as they’ve been using the twilight months of FM7 as a testing bed (experimental drag, FRR, Data Output, etc).

As for FM4, even that game doesn’t have as much content as FM7 apart from 3 features I can think of which is Public Created Lobbies, Gifting and Minigames such as Cat and Mouse and Car Soccer. And no, FM8 shouldn’t be free.

What screen are you running? Are you running in HDR? The HDR calibration in Forza is god awful and really needs fixing.

Evan, I just have one question: how do you get rid of those terrible white glowy brake lights? It’s starting to annoy me now - the brake lights look almost flat white and emit a glow in low contrast track conditions. I’m using a SDR screen. I’ve noticed the same issue in PCARS2 but the brake light don’t take a bright orange neon glow like they do in Forza. It’s super distracting and makes the game look - well, creepy!

Also, wht’s this thing about turning animations off? Even though the zoomed in dash cam is fantastic, I hardly ever use it because I’m on a pad. I need them to fix the cockpit animations because it is distracting and kind of kills immersion.

Apart from the missing animations and improper gear shift animations for H-pattern transmissions, I’m really counting down the days to when we’ll have a Forza game where wheels on road cars do the full 900 degree rotation in cockpit view. AC has done that already, why won’t Forza?

I’d love to help but with an SDR display, you’re extremely limited to what you can do.

What model TV do you have? I might be able to get you some calibration settings to make it look better in general though.

In terms of animations, I mean motion animations. You don’t have to have that warp speed effect where your camera zooms out the faster you go.

I don’t think it’s my TV because all SDR and HDR games look fantastic. I see a few odd issues here and there but it’s only with the Forza games that support HDR and only with the washed out brake lights.

It’s a decade old Bravia - performs like a champ but these weird “ghost like” brake lights I’m not enjoying. The TVs already calibrated for best output on games and movies, but thanks for the insights.

There was a time when games required zero calibration and tinkering - everything worked as expected out of the box. Sheesh…

Can you give me a complete model name for your TV?

What have you calibrated the SDR settings with? Something like a Kleiner?

I have a Panasonic 4K, 120 HZ Panel, 58 inch TV. Arty the time in 2016, it was a flagship $3,000 TV.

You’d be surprised how meh the default (out of the box) calibrations were. They’re designed to be eye catching (bright colours, bright panel, high contrast etc) so they stand out from all the other TV’s in the showroom floor, but of course, this isn’t realistic at all because life is usually much more muted and subtle then what you see on TV’s in the showroom.

I originally bought the TV and was very disappointed. Then I got it professionally calibrated and it was like going from day to night. Huge difference. I made minor tweaks to the professional calibration just to suit my tastes, but nothing ridiculous.

I can find you some professional calibration settings if you’d like?

Not to nitpick or anything but you might want to edit that to “FM6”, LOL!

To add to the loot boxes comment, in every game back to 4 (my first experience with the franchise), tokens WERE purchasable with actual cash, and in 4 and 5, counted towards your gamerscore! I also did sit out FM7 for six months so I can’t speak to how it was at launch, but overall, it’s not perfect by any stretch, but it’s turned into a pretty good product.

And as for the main topic at hand, I would LOVE another track or two, although tracks are the hardest and most resource intensive pieces in a game. The guys handling the race regs and such aren’t the 3D artists handling car models and lighting and they aren’t the coders handling the physics, etc, etc, and you need them all for a track.

They were purchasable in previous titles after launch but they were never implemented in FM7.

Just to clarify, in no way am I defending lootboxes or micro-transactions. I heavily despise them. However, the lootboxes in FM7 were never purchasable with real world money. They weren’t tied to progression in any way. They didn’t give any “buffs” or unfair advantages. They weren’t pay to win. They were extremely hidden out of view and they were completely optional.

Saying that I’m delighted both are gone. Any gambling mechanic in a game under 18+ is sick and damaging to children imo. Don’t even get me started on FH4’s wheelspins. The sooner they’re gone the better.

Getting back on track (no pun intended XD) as much as I’d love a new track, I don’t see the point from a consumer nor business perspective. I’d be much happier launching Forza Motorsport 8 when it comes out, knowing there’s 5 or 6 new tracks right from the get go.

As much as I like playing FM7, let’s face it, it’s in its twilight months. The player base simply isn’t there to do anything with the game nor can Turn 10 bring the player base back. The damage has already been done. That means it’s become a test bed for FM8. What needs to be done from here until development is cut for FM7, is constant refining of current content so that the foundations FM8 starts on is more solid, prepared and simply superior to the foundation of FM7. Adding more content, in FM7’s current state, isn’t the best of ideas.

1 Like

and another thing since I’m complaining…

Doesn’t anybody else get at least mildly annoyed that next to “forza total” on the forums it lists 1050 points

This has been going on for over 2 years.

I have 24,992 points NOT 1050

Which brings me to complaint 3

It wasn’t enough to make a terrible game you had to add terrible achievements too.

I’m not sitting in an online lobby for a weeks trying to grind out a last of pack to front of pack finish.

Did the forza team think… hey I know what we should do. We should make an achievement that somebody who has literally spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on forza won’t be able to get unless he goes to a third party website and signs up for a cheating session.

seriously forza team if there was a way to screw up better I don’t know what it is. Even the forums are broken. Hell a guy complained today that we haven’t had a single new track…

result

moderator hides post, locks thread, and says thanks for the feedback…

I’m pretty sure by “thanks for the feedback” sounded pretty sarcastic to me… Which is exactly what happens to all feedback. thread locked, hidden, or just deleted.

3 Likes

I think the game engine and graphics and such are pretty solid at this point. Not seeing major advances between 6 and 7. I wish they’d just make it a persistent thing. Not necessarily a subscription per se, but a situation where they just keep releasing new things. Then the tracks or cars we loved won’t be gone and we can keep looking forward to new things without having some grind all over again.

I’m happy that FM8 won’t be out this year apparently, because I just haven’t put enough time into FM7, especially with playing Horizon 4. … But yea, more content is always welcome. Things feel more alive, even if you haven’t exhausted the original content. Activity and fresh stuff is nice.

1 Like

Even if they are gearing majority of their resources toward FM8 - I don’t think a few fantasy track would hurt the game and in fact, bring more of the older players back.

Do you folks think FM8 will be as good on the One-X as Scarlett? I mean will it compromise heavily on the X? It would kind of suck to have a seriously inferior version because I just got the X a few months back and won’t be upgrading for a few years at least.

More than likely, it will be a similar situation to what we have currently to with the One compared to the One X.

2 Likes

Tracks are a big investment, real or not. They’re most likely going to leave content like that to FM8, it would have been great to get 1 or 2 for FM7 though.

1 Like

I guess so

From the July Forza Monthly livestream: "are we going to have IMSA tracks, or are we going to have a whole wildly new way of building tracks that are better for our players for the future so the next product will be all that we hope it can be? It was a hard call. We chose to invest in our future "

1 Like

“bring a more motorsport experience to Motorsport is certainly what we’re looking at for the future.”
What have T10 been “looking at” since FM4?

5 Likes

As much as it hurts to see there won’t be any new content in FM7, specifically tracks, this shift in focus needed to be done. I’m glad they’re changing the way they build and design tracks, hopefully this means it can be done faster more efficiently.

While I was watching the interview, Chris really gave off the vibe that the team has been invigorated with a new passion for motorsport, like there’s actually a vision for the game and it’s really great to see. It seems like there’s a whole new culture over there. I’m actually genuinely excited for the future of the Motorsport series, I haven’t been able to say that in a while.

1 Like