A personal take on the good, the not so good and the ugly in FM23

I’m playing with a Fanatec wheel and pedals. No idea what the game is like using a controller.

The good:

Some of the cars have excellent driving dynamics, but the quality is inconsistent and others are dire. I have experience of a few models IRL, going all the way back to the BMW 3.0 CSL and the sim captures the feel of it, as does the 718 Cayman GTS (albeit the midrange acceleration doesn’t feel right, though that could be because of the upgrades.)

This is the first game where I can consistently feel the back end losing traction, which is awesome.

The Nordschleife is worth the entry fee alone. What a great simulation that track is.

The not so good:

FM23 can’t work out if it is a sim or an arcade game. I think it would work better if the devs quit trying to satisfy both camps.

The engine sounds. Once heard, the scream of a Porsche flat six at high rpm is never to be forgotten. Ditto the Italian V10s and 12s - getting those recorded properly would be a major step. The current engine sounds drone like someone recorded a PHEV with a 1 litre going flat out and I often play with the sound off because of that :slight_smile:

The lack of spray when it rains. The most difficult thing about racing in rain is seeing ahead, but you wouldn’t guess so from FM23. Also, having a dry line would make it feel the level of grip more realistic. Finally, even with ‘race’ tires fitted the feel in the wet is off.

The upgrade system. I realise this is going to be fixed in update 6, but ACC got it right first time out - all their cars are race ready and you don’t have to spend a day grinding to get such essentials as roll bars, limited slip diffs and slicks. C’mon guys, what were you thinking of? :slight_smile:

The ugly:

Everyone’s bete noire - the AI. Which is as bad as it was in Project Cars and how long ago was that game launched? I read people wondering if it has influenced the amount of shunting that happens in multiplayer and there may be a lot of truth in that. Why do all the races start with a 24 car grid when the AI can’t handle that many?

Some suggestions:

If the AI can be fixed, great. If not, give us the chance to cut down the numbers to a level FM23 can handle - apologies if it is already possible and I have missed it.

An ‘arcade’ mode and a ‘pro’ mode. Pro to be unforgiving about offs and contact. Only let players into pro once they have done enough clean races with the AI to qualify and even then have them on watch. After all, it works - more or less - for iRacing. However, this route would mean having working AI…

2 Likes

If it’s not deliberate surely the amount of shunting into corners is caused by cars having radically different braking stats? I almost always favour grip over power and find other cars are constantly braking earlier than I expect them to. Maybe people have to accept that a car that can brake for a corner 50 yards further up the track than their’s can is occasionally going to hit them going into a corner, especially if they move to block the inside, in the same way I accept they’re going to power by me on the straights?

1 Like

Differents breaking stats, but also depends on your build (grip like you said)
95% of my cars are with semi slick tires and no aero (or only rear one, or non tunable aero) so it makes a difference on the braking point/time too.

They’re peoples who don’t accept to go slower because the driver front of him is slower.

I get messaged by a man who told to me i was so slow on corners and i was blocking him on corners, he simply doesn’t understand the fact that, if i’m on semi slick no aero, so yeah he’s gonna be faster on corners with a race tires full aero build

1 Like

I just wish I could understand fuel consumption. Makes no sense. 5 lap race on Hockenheim and I loaded 6 laps worth of fuel. Lap 4 going into the final lap I run out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Ruined what could have possibly been a top three finish. I’m so pissed right now.

In career you can clearly see that the fuel estimate before and after practice is different. It seems that the game initially guestimates before practice, and then bases makes a new prediction based on your driving style/fuel usage during practice.

The prediction after practice in my experience though has always been solid, but don’t put too much trust in the prediction before/without practice.

I’ve always felt like the time penalty you incur for carrying the weight of a couple extra laps’ worth of fuel is so minimal in most cases that it’s not worth risking a DNF for cutting it too close. I generally give myself [number of laps] +2, and am good to go.

Since the AI never seem to run out of fuel or even have to pit for any reason that I’ve ever seen anyway. I just go with a full tank unless I forget to check before the race starts.

1 Like

You don’t gain any advantage on leaderboards. SINCE THERE AREN’T ANY! During races.

1 Like

AI do pit to change tires in races that are set with variable weather if the change requires wet tires.

This was my tactic to get the achievement of highest difficulty. I use Sport Tire Compound, full tank, and I cruise around the track.

1 Like