Would you prefer a world with no fast travel?

Fast travel has its obvious benefits. It also comes with it’s trade offs such as making a massive map like Mexico feeling awfully small.

So what if fast travel wasn’t a thing. What if to change your car you needed to drive to a house or garage?

What if the highways and motorways actually served a purpose and we’re used to quickly travel long distances. Moreover what if these roads were built around beautiful and interesting scenery which dynamically changed based on the time of day or month?

What if you couldn’t take a road car off-road, and likewise what if off-road cars weren’t the best on road? And what if you couldn’t go off-road the whole time because the map wasn’t Mexico?

Would you love or hate this?

3 Likes

I would definitely prefer
By organizing my outings by region (hello FH2), by learning the shortcuts and paths that I like
Today I practice myself from one event to another, passing through the selection of the festival

4 Likes

Personally I’d hate it.

9 Likes

Play the game that way for a week and see how it feels :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

No way. You start without it, and earn it.
That’s enough thanks.

12 Likes

Yes… but NO.

Because all your what if’s are never going to happen given the way the game is built and so much of the game would have to change. The chore list is onerous enough now at times without adding hours more to each little daily challenge driving all over Mexico to do this stunt thing or photo this place thing each in this different car or at different times of day or etc. etc. Then add championships with races spread across the map. Then throw in server disconnects and having to start again from your base !

I’m sure PGG/MS would love it ! " Look ! Our engagement stats are through the roof ! "

…but it wouldn’t be me. I’d drop the game in a hot minute and never look back. Even thinking about it has me questioning again why I bother with the chores for the few minutes of fun that happen rarely.

8 Likes

If the game was designed with it in mind then I’d be ok with it, though I’m sure I’m not the only one who remembers how tedious driving up from Beacon Hill to the top of Jackson Heights for 1 event in NFSU2 quickly became.

But if I could start events from a menu + championships went from the finish of 1 race to the start of the next I think I would be ok with it.

That last thing is something that should be in the game anyway though, getting dropped back into the map and having to manually go to the next race is a waste of time + makes them feel like just 3 separate individual races instead of an actual championship, and since the Trial + Open have it I see no reason why seasonal championships don’t, other than the afore-mentioned to waste unnecessary time on purpose.

7 Likes

A small addendum to my reply… doing away with fast travel might be more appealing IF I hadn’t seen more than enough of all of it driving over every road, many of them multiple times, squinting at blow ups of my map, to get that stupid all roads completion. Like so much in this game it’s the geared to forcing us to engage that rubs wrong, and this sounds so like more of the same I’m kind of surprised they haven’t done it. For the all roads travelled for example, how much better IF they had just organized a long series of races that would eventually have you drive every road and then pop that completion.

6 Likes

Fast travel in a Forza game should only be forced when you’re initially playing through the campaign. Once you’re finished and just want to build cars and race around, it helps to just be able to teleport anywhere on the fly

4 Likes

If you could more intricately pre-plan the routes/activities, share trip ideas with friends and regions were rich with stuff to do and things to interact with then maybe.

Currently it’s a no, though.

6 Likes

I’m fine with road discoveries and bonus boards. Let’s you explore and learn the map and also make it easier for you later in the game when there is more activities for fast travel.

1 Like

That’s a big NOPE! from me. I would drop the game like a soft, body-warm t*rd if fast travel was not a thing.

6 Likes

A quick like for the lol before your comment gets made " E - for everyone " safe :wink:

1 Like

5 Likes

OH ! So that’s what " Taste the Rainbow ! " means… :wink:

…and now a certain candy company is going to sue me :smirk:

3 Likes

Depends on a few factors, also my mood.

I’m playing through 3 right now, not using fast travel and in a lot of ways it makes me appreciate the map more. Overall though I consider it a side grade. More immersive but sometimes annoying. It’s made a lot less annoying but the presence of custom championships. The downtime between races feels purposeful, as opposed to in 4 or 5 where I’d just be wandering around aimlessly. Without that ability to create direction in the open world, it just seems meritless, which can be good sometimes. Sometimes no strings attached wandering is part of the fun. But there is so much lost potential.

However playing 5 in an online community, fast travel is essential. There already is way way way too much menu time and prep work for the amount of time spent racing for convoys. Removing fast travel would push the game into terrible for playing with friends. Something you’d spend a couple of afternoons playing then never touch again.

Again custom championships would swing that calculation more in favour of allowing it, but I’m having a lot of difficultly convincing even this community how fundamental of a racing game tool custom championships are, never mind the devs.

How there isn’t more groundswell around this baffles me. Without the foundation of a solid racing endgame, other features are significantly weakened. Custom championships provide a nigh infinite endgame for solo, convoy only, and potentially even open matchmaking alike. Only so long I can enjoy aimlessly driving around the open world without cause or reason.

5 Likes

This is an interesting idea. One of the things I most liked about FH2, still the best of the series, is that we got to know the map really well, and the best routes between places, because it was designed with those hubs in mind, and there was only so much fully open world, so you really did follow the same roads a lot, including the best motorway, for sure!

You really got a good sense of where things were on the map. By comparison, NFS Rivals had an amazing map and was really fun to just drive around, but the overview map was a bit useless, and so while I knew some areas very well, quite how they all fit together was sometimes hard to work out. I learnt certain routes well, because you really had to, but would still struggle to point to them on the map.

In FH5 we don’t even need roads to traverse the map; it is usually just a matter of pointing in the right direction and driving, bar the odd water hazard or being stuck in the canyon. In fact it is much more of a hassle to go by road, and as has been mentioned, nothing keeps you on them as everything is destructible. But yeah I’ve never learnt any road routes in 5, and I don’t think that taking away fast travel would change that, because of how the map is designed.

It is also curious that Guanajuato and Edinburgh are so much more annoying to drive around than the cities in FH2. I mean the roads are definitely crazy too, but they also stick out hugely in the otherwise very open world, whereas FH2’s hubs weren’t so out of place in that world, and the main impediment to driving through them was the lethal sticking out staircases.

Actually, seeing as I’ve been playing a lot of Riders Republic, instead of just no fast travel, I’d like to see something like rocket wings. The experience of flying over such open worlds is really cool, and you get to view things from literally a different angle, and often see things you would have missed from a grounded perspective - of course helped by there being more than 500 collectibles in that case. But yeah it is a joy, and flying around while waiting for multiplayer queues to pop is fun in and of itself.

2 Likes

Definitely agree on too much menu time. Again going back to FH2, you’d load the game and immediately pick up where you left off, or quickly choose a new championship and then head out. I absolutely loved that directed gameplay, compared to, as you say, mindless wandering, and really just ending up running Goliath repeatedly for the convenience and the credits.

Seasonal goals are all well and good, but they are still mainly menu play.

2 Likes

Why stop there, only have limited car slots per house and you have to remember which car is parked at which house.

So a big no.

1 Like

I was thinking that we could car pool as well to help save our digital environment and reduce our electronic footprint.

8 Likes