The mid-engine Viper?

Weekly Forzathon challenge, part the second:

“Win a road race in the 2013 Dodge Viper GTS, to get a taste of the mid-engine, 8.4 liter V10 with 640 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque.”

Well, it has to be the funniest engine position for a mid-engine car I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

The Viper is technically front-mid engine, as the engine is behind the front wheels. Where it differs from standard mid engine is its obviously in front of the driver, pushing the driver position back, rather than behind the driver, pushing the driver position forward.

2 Likes

Really splitting hairs here aren’t we? The viper is a front engine car. This “front mid engine” is really stretching it to cover an obvious gaffe from PG.

4 Likes

No thats legitimately the classification of the engine position irl same with the c7 corvette iirc

Yeah when i read that i had to do a double take like um must be a new car that even dodge didnt know about lol

mid-engined-dodge-viper-would-be-the-purest-american-supercar-142154-7

Coming soon… :smile: Or not!

(Why am I reading that synopsis in the A-Team intro guys voice? Haha)

1 Like

Technically Correct, which is the best kind of correct.

The “Mid-engine” designation is generally understood that the engine is between the front and rear axles entirely - driver positioning has nothing to do with it. Some Mid-Engine cars place the driver in front of the engine, and some place the driver behind it. The designations for Front engine and Rear engine are predicated on the engine in those cases straddling their respective axle.

Driver position doesn’t make a car Mid-Engine, engine placement does.

I just learned my 18yo Subaru DD is front-mid engine since its boxer engine sits behind the front axle. Must mean my Sube just quadrupled in value. Not. :smile:

It’s not about where your mounts are, it’s about the mass of the engine block, and in subaru they sit over the front trans-axle. And are thus Front Engine. …I’ve owned 3 of them.

Lol!

Okay. I always thought of mid-engine being behind the driver and in front of the rear axle.

Now I know! :slight_smile:

I believe it was some Corvette experiments that pressured Dodge to experiment with a more proper mid engine? But in 2013, where I think that prototype pushed out, Viper sales dived regardless.

Technically front-mid engine, as mentioned, but the description could be more specific!