Subaru Impreza WRX STi (GD) 2004 - Inaccurate car model

This issue has persisted since the first Forza Motorsport on the original Xbox, and the changes made to this model in Motorsport 5 only partially improved the car. The GD Impreza in Forza has an inaccurate and outdated car model, with body shapes and dimensions being wrong, as well as elements of the exterior having subpar quality.

The entire front is disproportionate. Despite the factory front bumper receiving a remodel for Motorsport 5, it was only to make it seem like it’s accurate, but it’s rounded incorrectly, the grille is too big, the part that connects to the bonnet is not on the same level and has different curvature than the bonnet itself. The headlights are too big and have incorrect shape, the hood scoop is too big.

While the perspective changes a lot on the images above, I lined up these ones below better, but it’s not going to be perfect on console. The whole front is once again disproportionate, definitely too big compared to the rest of the body. The rear end is too long. The doors are shaped and positioned incorrectly. The wheel arches are inaccurate too, especially the rear ones since the embossings are too small. The entire rear bumper is incorrectly shaped.

I didn’t line up these two right, but the inaccuracies are still visible. All parts of the rear end are inaccurate. The taillights are incorrectly shaped, and so is the rear bumper, the exhaust tip is too big as well.

As the car has its steering wheel on the right side, and has side indicators, I assume it’s supposed to be a Japanese Domestic Market model. Yet it has USDM headlights. Here is a JDM Impreza GD, it doesn’t have coloured indicators or side markers.

All Body Kit options for this car in Forza are extremely inaccurate, but what’s worse is that they weren’t updated to match the front bumper shape modified in Forza Motorsport 5. Yes, they have had Motorsport 1 shape for all that time.
This is the Chargespeed kit. Notice how the bumper connects with the bonnet and the grille. These elements have completely different shapes! And that is on top of the kit itself being extremely inaccurate. Everything about it is too sharp and very low quality.

The Syms body kit is plagued with similar issues, it’s also inaccurate and low quality in Forza.

The bottom part of the Syms front bumper in real life seems to be a bolt-on “splitter” while in Forza this detail is missing. On top of this, the part of the front bumper that connects to the bonnet is, once again, wrongly shaped and misalligned.

And this here is a small detail, but thankfully the rear doors don’t open, because it would reveal that this part of the Syms side skirt is connected to the skirt itself, while in real life it isn’t.

Here is the Impreza GD as it was in the first Forza Motorsport. It was a USDM model back then, and the flat front end is very much visible here. I suspect the body line was changed, though.

Overall, the 2004 Impreza WRX STi in Forza is in a dire need of a remodel, as is every other Motorsport 1 model present in this game. Also, the 2005 Impreza most likely shares the same inaccuracies with the 2004 model, apart from the front and rear ends, which means you ought not to bring it back until it’s rescanned.

This is why

3 Likes

VOTED. I’ll give additional info regarding this Subaru’s model.

First off, as it was represented as a USDM model in the OG FM, it got changed to a JDM-spec in FM2 beyond. But its headlights still retained in its USDM part, which is wrong. You can see the turn signal and the side marker of the headlight as amber orange, so that is the USDM headlight.

The EUDM/AUDM headlights only have the Turn indicator light as amber orange, while the side marker is clear.

The original JDM spec headlights are pure clear.

Second, despite its front end being “fixed” for FM5 beyond, it’s clarified that it’s still not that fully accurate due to its grilles being too big as well as the hood scoop. And too much roundness on the headlights area.

The aftermarket front bumper parts are indeed reused from FM1 without any changes. I bet they should be either fixed alongside with the car or remove it, if it can’t be fixed. It doesn’t make a lot of sense why some “remodels” still remain inaccurate, as fixing only the front will never fix the rest of its model. As I see that the rear end is still inaccurate, as the taillights didn’t fill the gap correctly. This means that its “fixed” front still needs another fix. Not accurate enough sadly.

Lastly, let’s take a look at its model in Gran Turismo.
Seems like the GT4/PS2 model had an inaccurately shaped front end with a wide front bumper grille. But I don’t think it looks any worse compared to Forza’s model of it, at least.

And now in GT7, it’s in a fully accurate JDM-spec model. Everything is correct and it’s perfectly rendered from the actual car in real life, even that “Spec-C” small rear wing should’ve been an alternate body part in Forza games way back years ago but they didn’t care to add it for both 2004 and 2005 versions. Maybe it should be added after it gets fully remodeled.

4 Likes

Man! That GT7 model is beautiful. It really shows how every car can look its best when they are fully accurate and detailed.

4 Likes

They always focus on Quality over Quantity since GT Sport. Not like the other way around back in their PS3 era where they reused PS2 cars in the PS3 titles. (with some High-quality detailed cars aside the PS2 cars but the group of them were divided by categorization according to detail)

3 Likes