Size comparison of Hot Wheels expansion relative to mainland Mexico

I thought it would be interesting to compare how big Hot Wheels Park is relative to the main map and where above it floats.

For scale reference I placed a destination marker along a long straight, parked the car 1,000 meters away from it and took screenshots of the in-game map. Scaling those screenshots into each full map and measuring the resulting lengths of the blue routes allowed the relative scale to be determined for both maps. The approximate position of Hot Wheels Park was taken by going into Blueprint Builder, moving the camera to below the track under Horizon Nexus and looking down (which is limited to 85°, so the exact center can’t be determined this way).

The result might be off by a few percent, but it does line up fairly well with what’s seen in game if you peek over the edge of the track in Photo Mode.

8 Likes

As my gf says it’s not the size that matters but the way you use it. The new Hot Wheels map on paper looks small but when you drive around the biomes it feels much much larger. This is mainly due to their great use of elevation. Elevation which the big flat and largely dull Mexico map lacks.

2 Likes

It’s too bad they didn’t make it the size of Mexico… instead of Mexico. They should go full on crazy big arcade adventure (not necessarily Hot Wheels, mind) for a main game.

I’ve always wondered whether players care for maps to be set in real locations or if they would prefer fictional places. The advantage of fictional places being they can do whatever they want with no restrictions.

It would be interesting to compare it with the Hot Wheels expansion in FH3.

The labyrinthine nature of the tracks makes the map seem bigger than it really is. It’s a great place to go if you just want to cruise around at high speed, but frustrating if you actually want to get somewhere.

Fast travel?

Well there is no choice but to have a realistic map for the game, and anything else for the DLC.

The game map of Mexico is fairly fictional when compared and contrasted to an actual map of Mexico. I don’t think there is a large portion of the player base that are actually concerned with having a real location. Marketing is probably easier though.

I’ve never been to Mexico but the game looks very similar to images online.

The map doesn’t to me at least. Mexico city is the 4th or 5th most populous city in the world and isn’t represented.

Edit: I understand what you’re saying when you look at the environment you’re in.

1 Like

Here’s a few select images from searching Mexico. These images remind me of the game. But again these are select images. I’ve skipped any images that has cities/buildings because let’s be real, FH5 has no cities lol.

Yes, but the same effect would have happened by reskinning the fh4 map or fh3 map.