Performance issues since Steam release

Hi everyone!

As the title says, I got severe performance issues since the game was released on Steam.
I am playing the MS Store version since late 2019 at 2560x1440 windowed to about 1900x1000 on automatic Ultra settings with very steady 60fps, regardless of weather, other cars, online, offline, etc.
Now I have to set 1920x1080 on very low to achieve about 40fps in Edinbourgh. When it’s raining this drops to under 30. And the screen gets stucks every 30 seconds or so for half a second even in the countryside with no cars around and in good weather.

Here are the specs of my PC: ASUS Z370G, i7 8700k, 32GB, GF GTX 1080 (GF Surround @ 5760x1080 + 1 extra mon @ 2560x1440), onboard sound, Win 10 64 - Everything is up to date, the temps are low, as they should be…

Anyone also having troubles? Are there solutions out there?

Or am I to kill this game after one and a half years of playing?

edit: not 2019, rather Nov 2018

Performance has remained the same for me, ie. very good. i5-10600 (basically i7-8700) and GTX 1660. So it isn’t the game, I don’t know what else to suggest though.

1 Like

Something to test:

Open NVidia ControlPanel
Left side 3D Settings then on right side “Restore”
On right side switch to ProgramSettings Tab
in dropdown look for horizon4 select and click restore

Make sure u have latest nvidia gameready driver installed

Open explorer navigate to
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation
delete the “NV_Cache” folder

navigate to
C:\Users[YOUR USERNAME HERE]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\NVIDIA Corporation
delete the “NV_Cache” folder

press windowskey or click start icon
type “cleanmgr” start the result
select main hdd
in the new window check directx-shadercache (uncheck things to keep downloads, whatever)
click ok

open fh4 swith to your normal gfx settings
it restarts and should show “optimizing blabla xx%”

Dude, he said he has Steam version, how is he supposed to have UWP package from Microsoft Store :slight_smile:

??? Read topic!!! Read post!!!
“since steam release”+“I am playing the MS Store version since late 2019”

There is a reason i have this guy blocked lol.

Internet performance is almost at a grinding halt! Solo is great!

Thanks @PinkiePie4997 for this detailled instructions! Sadly no difference :frowning:

Edit: Sorry @Threrbull6623, but you misread: I am playing the MS Store version.

2nd edit: another Thursday, anotehr version of the game - and performance dropped significantly yet again Stuttering occurs not every 30 seconds or so, rather every 2 seconds. I just tried to play an online adventure - I tried… The lagging was so extreme, I missed every (!) corner. This does not make fun anymore.
But I found an ingame benchmark. see pic:

Try with VSync “Off” and Framerate “Unlocked” InGame and switch in NVidia ControlPanel->3D Settings->VSync to “Fast” or “Adaptive”

“Now I have to set 1920x1080 on very low to achieve about 40fps”
In Benchmark it’s not 1080@low

New post: becaus I edited twice already :wink:

Follow-up: I submitted a ticket at support.forzamotorsport.net and got this answer after one week:

I don’t think there will be any solution soon…

Nonetheless, thanks for your suggestions!

I don’t really understand most everything in the Benchmark screenshot (I am more hardware) but the most interesting aspect to me is the figures in the top right telling you it is running 51fps and utilising 95% GPU capacity…that seems a tad high on the usage side but then it may have been using that amount before, though I’m pretty sure a 1080 should utilise less.

Is your in-game fps set to a fixed 60fps? Just curious as I got the exact same stuttering every couple of seconds (running the motorway, every 100m or so it would momentarily pause) when the in-game fps changed…my game had been running steadily at 60fps (uncapped) and then, one day, it suddenly jumped to 150fps for no reason…which would be fine except my monitor is a 60Hz monitor and so couldn’t cope (I was watching it run at 150fps then drop to 70fps, the stutter, then back up)…soon as I capped it at 60fps, the stuttering went.

Beyond that, was their a Graphics Driver update around the time the issue started? If so, then that might point to a cause as NVIDIA have been doing a lot of driver updates recently. If there was a GPU driver update around that time, might be worth uninstalling the GPU driver and installing the previous version. If you do this, make sure to choose custom install for the driver and deselect the HD Audio driver as that component has been causing issues for people recently

Beyond that, there is a possibility that it is a WIndows and/or hard drive issue somewhere. If I was in your shoes, I’d be looking to do a full Windows reinstall via USB (rather than disc or using the WIndows reset function)…you can get a Windows Installable USB iso on the Microsoft site. Whilst it will wipe everything from your system, it will also allow a fresh canvas to work from so you can decipher whether it’s the game or your system. Random things can happen

Hello,

I’m playing the Steam version and have tried everything possible to play the game without any stuttering. I’ve already written to support, but they didn’t tell me anything except … I’m supposed to look for game updates. --__–

Steam Community :: Screenshot Non FPS Cap

Steam Community :: Error FPS Cap by 120hz

all the same performance problem.

i need your help, i love this game so much. But it’s just not much fun with Stutter

Thank you

Sry for my englisch i needed Translater from german in englisch ^^

Hello,

I’m playing the Steam version and have tried everything possible to play the game without any stuttering. I’ve already written to support, but they didn’t tell me anything except … I’m supposed to look for game updates. --__–

Steam Community :: Screenshot Non FPS Cap

Steam Community :: Error FPS Cap by 120hz

all the same performance problem.

i need your help, i love this game so much. But it’s just not much fun with Stutter

Thank you

Sry for my englisch i needed Translater from german in englisch ^^

Thanks for all your effort! I really appreciate this!

So: I got a new Windows setup, latest drivers, new Forza, everything new.

And here are screenshots of the benchmark with different video settings:

2560 x 1440 @ 60 fps vsync, ultra quality (my desired and long used settings)

2560 x 1440 @ unlimited fps, ultra - no significant difference, as expected

2560 x 1440 @ 60 fps vsync, very low quality - running ok

2560 x 1440 @ unlimited fps, very low - getting worse???

1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps vsync, ultra quality - so resolution is not as relevant as I thought…

1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps vsync, very low quality - same here

So all my efforts made a slight decrease in stuttering so far. (Imagine having to build a new car by yourself, if the motor starts stuttering…)

Yeah, see images above and the benchmark is not running in Edinburgh, so FPS are different anyways :wink:

edit: last screenshot caption had “ultra”, instead of “very low”, sorry

1 Like

Ok, then no idea… or play with the single options and reduce something or dynamic ultra
Think i’ve seen benchmark pics with gtx1080@ultra ~71fps or atleast 60fps

Many thanks, nonetheless!

I’ll stick to 2560x1440 on very low for now. That’s sad, bc the good graphics are a key USP of Horizon 4.

And sorry for the misleading typo on the last screenshot.