H4 is not an arcade racer

This goes for ALL the Horizon games. It may have an arcade like feeling to it as far as handling but it is not 100% arcade. If it was every car with every upgrade possible on it besides tire upgrades would be easy to drive. They are NOT and you will most likely not be able to control them. It is a MIXTURE of Arcade & Simulation racing. There is no debating this. Anyone who calls it just an arcade racer is incorrect.

Onrush=Arcade Racer
Need for Speed=Arcade Racer
The Burnout Series=Arcade Racer
Blur=Arcade Racer
Sonic Racing=Arcade Racer
Split Second=Arcade Racer

H1=Not an Arcade racer
H2=Not an Arcade racer
H3=Not an Arcade racer
H4=Not an Arcade racer

Now that we have that all cleared up, can people stop using that as an excuse to drive poorly online?

4 Likes

Relax, it’s just an arcade racer.

5 Likes

Hahaa! I can’t relax though because it’s a ridiculous excuse constantly being used for not being able to drive a vehicle around a track without hitting something or someone. Brutal.

2 Likes

And that’s also why people drive poorly online

Plus the fact there’s a lot of gamepass kiddies who like ramming for fun because there’s no consequences for their actions…exactly the same as in the real world lol

Now im confused
What is fh4 if its not arcade…since fm7 is simcade

4 Likes

According to Wikipedia both are semi-sims, which makes perfect sense since the gap to arcade games like NFS, where the game basically fully controls the car for you, is huge.

Logic is not welcomed here sir! The fun police and terrible racers get upset when confronted with logic. Please try to post better in the future.

Sincerely the guy who agrees with you.

1 Like

What is there to be confused about? It’s a mixture of arcade and simulation and Motorsport is also but leans more toward simulation. In Horizon you can take turns at much faster speeds but braking is still needed. In Motorsport you really have to slow down or you will fly off the track giving you far less forgiveness for going to fast into a turn. Many arcade racers give you the ability to not brake or hardly brake at all as the tracks are designed to keep you on them like bumpers keeping a bowling ball on the lane. While some tracks in Horizon kinda do this the Street Race and Cross Country tracks usually don’t. There is no wall to save you to keep you on the track.

1 Like

So fh4 must be arcsim whilst fm7 is simcade
And nfs is garbagecade

3 Likes

I am not all that convinced that Need for Speed is an Arcade Racer game, either. If you consider it to be, then the Horizon series definitely borders on being an Arcade Racer game.

1 Like

Fair enough. I think it’s closer to an arcade racer than Horizon is though.

I will agree with that.

And further, I also believe that regardless of whether the Horizon series is or isn’t an Arcade Racer, there is still no excuse for the intentional ramming in online play (except for Playground games, obviously).

I think that each user can decide for himself or herself how to play the game in solo mode, but when playing online, then there is no place for the intentional ramming.

5 Likes

According to the Matrix… driving down the road is an arcade racer…lol.

1 Like

You’re right. It’s definitely simulating real world driving. Many is the time I’ve run off 400ft cliffs and kept driving with no issue. I like running through multiple rock walls while I drive too. Never seems to hurt my real life car at all so why should in a driving simulator like Horizon 4?

2 Likes

Now you’re intentionally being obtuse!:grin:

2 Likes

Semi sim
First time hearing that lol
But does make a bit more sense for fm7
Would still call fh4 simcade then
And NFS will always be garbagecade
What you consider The Crew lol
Be similar to NFS wouldnt it

The 1st Crew is definitely more arcade. I forgot about that game. Never played the 2nd one so I can’t comment on what it is.

The Crew 1 was extemely arcady - to the extent that it was very hard to keep the car going in a straight line on a highway because the arcady physics translated even the smallest steering input into a
U-turn.
Crew 2 is better, the cars actually feel like they are driving on the road, not floating like in Crew 1. It even provides some basic fine tuning. Still a lot more arcady than Horizon with nitro, tuning parts with skills and so on.
You can tell with every Horizon that it originated from the Motorsport physics engine. Toned down but of all the open-world racers it provides the best feeling because of that. To be fast in Horizon you need driving experience, racecraft and car building knowledge.
In titles like the Crew or NfS once you adapted yourself to the handling characteristics you are set.
PG should know this Advantage they have over all other open-world racers and make more use of it. By providing clear rules and restrictions for cleaner online racing. At times, even racing in GTA Online was cleaner and more competitive than here. I would even argue that GTA Online racing is the strongest contender Horizon has. Because being quick in GTA needs a truckload of knowledge and skill.

2 Likes

Of the games I’ve played, I’ve never felt there’s a huge difference between them in terms of car handling. FH4, to me, still has broadly similar handling to PCars2. The amount of grip is just a parameter, not the nature of the physics model. Fitting a car with supersoft tyres vs hard doesn’t make the physics less sim, you’re just simulating different tyres. Some of the cars in the rivals events in FH4 can be tricky to handle, just as much as cars in PCars2, for example the Jag for the Lakehurst Forest Sprint rivals. And in any case, many people complain that the cars in PCars2 are unrealistically difficult to drive, which obviously is non-sim. About the only way in which I’d say FH4 handling is “easier” is once you start to slide, you don’t tend to end up facing backwards as easily as you do in games like PCars2, F1 and GT Sport without traction control. But then people say it’s much easier to catch slides in Assetto Corsa, and people don’t cite that as a reason for it being non-sim, many people feel its more progressive loss of grip is more realistic than a more on/off grip model.

2 Likes

+1

It has good model but always active few helpers. Still pretty good simulation.

It’s on the arcade-sim spectrum. It’s definitely neither sim racer nor an arcade racer. It lays somewhere in between Outrun and Dirt Rally, which is to tell you nothing at all.

1 Like