GRAPHICS & LIGHTING - Cars Are Visually Terrible - Paint | Textures | Material | Reflection | Models

My first post for the new Forza Motorsport, perhaps the most important post I’ve ever made due to the game’s terrible visuals on its vehicles and lighting; was closed due to not being focused enough a single topic. .

So here is my biggest complaint that has existed since the launch.

It has been 6 months and not once have you acknowledged the most fundamental visual problems with this game. I have refused to play this game but I’m very close to fully giving up on it.

My biggest complaint still remains - I find the cars in this game to be very unappealing. The vehicle graphics, material rendering and lighting are abysmal.

For a licensed racing game that prides on graphical prowess and photorealism, this just feels like a big downgrade.

The disparity between FORZA and Gran Turismo has only grown bigger and it is clearly evident more than ever.

Every time I observe a new vehicle that has been brought over from FM, it just becomes clearer. The car always looks significantly better and sharper in FH5. The lighting. colors and material look better in FH5.

FORZA’s own Horizon series, despite offering a much different experience, is the biggest competition for the new Motorsport in terms of the visual fidelity of cars in the game (along with Gran Turismo and The Crew Motorfest):

All cars have this plastic/powder coated die cast look to them and at times the cars are overly reflective and look like tin cans. On top of that, the cars are just not sharp and refined and also lack any contrast at all.

Take a look at any car’s windshields, window frames, rear diffusers, rims, metal trims and glowing white 2D radiators/intercoolers in FM, absolutely terrible to say the least that is only further ruined by toy-car look.

Glass surfaces look like plexiglass or plastic due to their color and zero reflection, depth and glare.

Window frames for the windshields and side windows are grey and lifeless as opposed to being fully black as IRL.

Inaccurately attached/floating rear view mirror in many cars (examples include the LFA).

Radiators/Intercoolers are so bright and flat with 2D squiggly lines that you can see them glowing behind the front grille at all times.

Terribly large window defogging element lines on rear windows. They are not large, blocky or noticeable from far IRL.

Many cars are ruined by these horribly large window defoggers as if they weren’t already terrible-looking in FM.

Poor geometry evident on any roll cage and its clamps/mounts.

Also, the head and tail lamps’ lighting for every vehicle extremely dim & inaccurate on almost every single car (I’ve already made a separate post on that). They lack the depth, brightness, accuracy, glow, reflections, sharpness and color - too yellowy even for LED lightings.

A good example of this glaring problem would be the tailights on the 2018 Mustang GT and the GT350 - nowhere near the color, brightness and accuracy of IRL examples - too dim, inaccurate, blurry and yellow

*On top of those, the cars just lack the fidelity and sharpness in its car models - body lines and edges, blurry and lowlight interiors, textures and more. Every car in the game is noisy-looking, blurry and dull.

There is no clear distinction between the vehicles, its materials and the environment.

The solar lighting also needs to be improved as there is no proper solar reflection, glint and glare like GT7, FH5 and IRL counterparts

The cars somehow ended up looking worse than FH5 and FM7 and even those clearly have their troubles with their car model accuracy and fidelity when compared to GT7 and now The Crew Motorfest!**

All cars also have this orange peel effect on their paint. Their radiators are so bright and terrible-looking with 2D squiggly lines on cars with no radiator covers (examples include the Huracan STO & Mazda Miata).

All vehicles are just bland and lifeless (some even unashamedly inaccurate and outdated) in graphics, lighting, colours, textures and reflection.**

Seriously strange and inexcusable given this is an NEXT-GEN only game and simply does not match the capability of the Xbox Series consoles and PC (See FORZA Horizon 5, GT7 and TC Motorfest).

What is even crazier is the fact that despite having less processing power than the Series X, almost every car look impeccable in GT7!

I have posted many pictures and posts highlighting this overall mess in cars’ visual quality when it comes to lighting, reflection, paint accuracy, exterior lighting, rims, materials and shaders.

How in the world does the vehicles and the environment vegetation assets look miles better and FH5?

It has become tiring given that my heavily detailed and upvoted post was closed and fellow veteran who took their time to test every wheel/rims for visual issues, also detailed and upvoted, had their post be closed.

The least you can do is acknowledge that there is visually something strange going on with this game and I know for a fact I’m not the only FORZA player to observe this.

This is not a car specific issue, it has always been a general problem with the lightning and graphics. Car model - whether the terribly outdated and inaccurate ones - or the newer ones - all look OFF. They have the Hot Wheels toy car look which is only made worse by the SUPERSIZED stock rims for every car?

I sincerely hope Update 7 fully focuses on the visuals, graphics and lighting for its vehicles. It is maddeningly neglected.

Even after 6 months, ALL CARS look like DIE CAST toy cars and hot wheel models

you want it to be lifelike, thats quite a high expectation
many factors in play: forza team, directx12, HDR, raytracing, shader cache, your display… those all need to align well

like, you do not have an directx12 card
and if you do, then compatibility sucks because everyone is using directx11 cards with translation to 12, making all light/color flags wrong…
then there is raytracing having growing pains… HDR also

i think in general its kind of a sjit show atm, and we need to sit it out before things get better
nvidia need to make some hardware level dx12 cards(not API)

The thing is, FH5 is a cross-generational game and the lightning, colors, materials and car models look significantly sharper and better there.

T10 failed to meet its own photorealistic standards that are set for each Xbox generation. With the most powerful Xbox Series X, a console with more power than a PS5, the cars look way worse in every way than GT7, FH5 and The Crew Motorfest - all cross-gen games.

Every generation, Xbox has used FORZA as part of their showcase for the best in graphical fidelity, photorealism and power. I believe that my expectations are reasonable - fix the cars’ paints, reflection, materials and overall lighting and vehicle graphics. The interiors are are an unfinished glossy, flickering mess in almost every vehicle.

Not much to ask from a LICENSED racing game that has been in business and has exceeded photorealistic standards every release before.

Not asking for lifelike, I’m asking them to be better than FH5. The frames have been capped from 60 in FH5 to 30 in FM 2023. There is nowhere near the density of open-world foliage or photogrammetry in FM. Clearly, there is a massive room for improvement in visual fidelity. Under delivered in a word.

Aside from the beautiful sky dome and track details, how do the vehicles look so bad?
It truly has been a terrible show and is the reason why I regret for the first time purchasing a FORZA title.

And T10, why are the RIMS unusually large on every vehicle?

1 Like

I have it burned into my mind how terrible the Forza edition gt3 rs looked like when i first booted up the game. And its not like the car model is terrible but the lightning and the materials looked so unbelievably awful + the TAA blurriness and that weird noise like shimmering. It was hard to even make up what type of paint the car has. Is it silver,grey or light blue?

Im currently away to provide a photo but I’ll try and update my comment at a later date to reflect this. You would think since the game is track based and not open world + it’s current gen only the overall quality would be much higher. Instead it doesnt even come close to FH5. And it’s not even a competition.

Having seen a lot of comparisons, the whole game seems quite heavily downgraded in terms of graphics.

1 Like

We appreciate you opening this topic and sharing feedback. For us to be able to more effectively address your concerns, we ask that you open up threads for single specific issues, and try to avoid “grouping” several issues into one. This way, we’ll be able to better understand and convey a particular issue to our product team, and open and track bugs internally to monitor progress towards resolution. As a result, we will close this thread, but please open individual topics on issues you notice with the game. Thank you!
In the case of car reports please try to report one issue per car in your thread.

1 Like