Environment_Shadow movement is not smooth

Bug info: shadow movement is not smooth when using dynamic time of day. No matter what weather or time you start the race, shadow movement is not smooth, it’s almost like it’s poping up from no where. All race tracks are affected; and it’s more noticeable when weather is clear and time is morning or late morning or noon.
‪shadow movement
2dcc8f80-ec05-434d-b1fe-0d1b2cd749de_1
Device: xbox series x
Mode: performance RT
Game mode: free play
Note: everyone can add their videos about this issue here. [Thank you]
Note 2: @JetPartySalad & @T10ManteoMax ,please investigate and report this to the devs. Thank you.

I’ve noticed an issue with how shadows are displayed inside car’s interiors when viewing replay footage through the standard TV style cams:

From afar, you see light seeping into the interiors and the dash and seats reflect light, but as the car comes closer to the camera, the interior gets hidden by a large shadow. Is this how it’s supposed to be or an actual bug?

It’s worse when set to X12 or x24 speed. It’s just awful and boy they said to Digital foundry that they were happy with the results of the outcome to the game.
It hurts my eyes :eyes: to see this and hear this…

Hi, this is about environment shadow movement when dynamic time of day is active, I’m not talking about the interior.
You can report this in troubleshooting hub.

This is not a bug. It’s the way Tod is implemented in the engine. FH2/3/4/5 are exactly like that.

Wait,really?! I haven’t noticed that in FH5, also FM is using a new version of the forzatech.
I mean, the 2022 demo that was in engine had smooth shadow movement with dynamic time active. I don’t know if this is an engine problem or hardware limitations, but i think the engine can be updated or fixed.

Even MSFS 2020 is using the all new forzatech, and fable reboot will use it too.
Anyway, i hope they fix this issue ASAP.

Comment Update:
fh5 dynamic time==_1
See, FH5 is just fine, so this is a bug.

Flight Simulator doesn’t use ForzaTech so I dont’ know how this has anything to do with this (the linked article is nonsense with no source). FS uses Asobo’s own in house engine.
And yes FH is identical to FM. The TOD is based on predefined sun location states. The more you have the smoother it will look in a time-lapse especially given that there’s no interpolation between each states. FM has way less of them than FH5 and the bigger the time jump is the more jarring it will look.
This is not a “bug” and has been like that since Forza Horizon 2.

1 Like

So, this issue is un-fixable?

They would have to come up with a new TOD method (which they are not going to do given that what they have now is frankly good enough unless you speed up time 12x 24x).
There are way more pressing issues (track seams, breaklights etc) that they won’t even fix so… It’s best to not expect anything. And as a matter of fact Turn10 has never “fixed” anything in any of their past games unless it was a regression from the gold release (a bug introduced after the game went gold that wasn’t present in the game on launch day).

They already talked about that.

I use ×24 mostly.