Why do people keep pretending that Steam is relevant to a game's popularity?

First, I saw it on the halo board. Now, I see it on here. Steam has NEVER been relevant to the popularity of a console game. Hell, Call of Duty is dead on PC and has been for some time. Yet, you can check the Xbox Most Played list and see that it’s always one of the most popular games around.

So can we move on from the “this game has a large decrease on steam since launch, therefore it’s dead” narrative? I’m sure y’all can find more sensible ways to bash a game that you don’t like yet won’t stop playing for some reason.

1 Like

Hrm. Haven’t noticed a significant number of people singing that song around here. Sounds like it may be a lunatic fringe rather than a proper narrative.

3 Likes

When proclaiming “seeing it on here” then why not:

• Reply to that post or
  • Quote ?
3 Likes

Steam says you are wrong.

3 Likes

Because it is.

Most new gamers and dumb kids these days will basically buy a game depending on the “ratings” on steam. Its a big fact. The majority of those ratings and reviews are FAKE, many others are wiped out, to leave mostly positive comments and ratings in any single game. It has been that way since ages ago. In fact, when seeing a rating in steam reviews, you should only pay attention to the negative ones. Always. Avoid the positive comments all around.

1 Like

You make no sense as usual.

It’s not. New gamers are not hopping on to pc/steam. They’re going to PS/XB. AAA games are usually dead on PC unless they’re pretty old. The fact that CoD is dead on PC while being one of top 5 selling and most played games on both consoles should tell you something. PC gamers are largely irrelevant to how popular a AAA game is.

Maybe because the post would get lost in a topic that already has a bunch of replies?

Wow, this forum has a weird design. Think I’m getting used to it now and have cleaned up the posts.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I get that, but now there’s no ‘evidence’ of it indeed being here. I must take your word for it that it must be somewhere on the forum. I don’t say it isn’t but without any context you’re question could make less sense.

1 Like

There’s a topic titled “why do we still come back” or something like that. The evidence is there. Whether you see it or not is a different matter.

The word Steam does not come up in that thread when I search for it.

1 Like

Why does it matter what some rando on the net says about Steam? Or that PC users account for a greater share of the marketplace than you originally thought? How does any of this actually affect you and your gaming? Hint: It doesn’t, just play the game…

Dude, did you born yesterday?? or this was a joke?

It measures the interest of PC players. Most use Steam and don’t sub to Game Pass on PC. Fact is, FH5 is confined to Game Pass users on Xbox.

TL:DR Steam is most certainly relevant, maybe not in the numbers compared to Windows because of Game Pass, but certainly for those that only play on PC

I play on PC, I have an Xbox One S and FH5 is soooooooooooooo slow on the console. Loading times are a joke, and “fast travel” is anything but. My PC is a mid-range gaming rig, but having an SSD, 32Gb RAM and a 12Gb GPU give it a huge advantage over the console, plus the graphics are much better, so it looks nicer.

I play other games on console, mainly console exclusives, but the newer games are played on my PC for the reasons listed above. Until I get a Series S/X (undecided on which one to get) that’s going to be the norm. I have Game Pass Ultimate as a result, but for those that don’t, the Steam version of a game is usually cheaper than the Windows Store equivalent.

For instance, Sniper Elite 5 Deluxe at launch was £79.99 on Windows Store and £69.99 on Steam, the difference being that the Steam version can only be played on PC while the Windows version is a “play anywhere” title. I bought the Windows version, because I will be investing in a Series console in the near future, so play anywhere was more attractive, but for those who only play on PC, Steam versions are usually a “no brainer” because of the price differences, especially as you can get Steam Keys for a lot of games very cheaply from 3rd party websites.

If there wasn’t the supply issues (which aren’t as bad now) more people would have the faster xboxes and stick to console. If I couldn’t get a better Xbox I was thinking of switching. Glad I didn’t have to.

1 Like

Of course, if you have Ultimate Game Pass you could just play it without actually buying it… on console, at least.

Game Pass Ultimate users can play on PC too, which is what I do… I just bought the Deluxe version of Sniper Elite as you only get the base game on Game Pass, in the same way that I just bought the Premium Add On bundle for FH5 until the base game goes on sale later on…

Windows users will outnumber Steam users because of Game Pass subs, but Game Pass PC only isn’t as attractive, and in countries where Cloud Gaming isn’t supported, or for those on metered connections, Steam is the logical way to go.