To anyone getting Error 0x80073CF9 when trying to download FH4/FM7 from Windows Store/Xbox App

Hello,

If you’re like me and tried everything but still cannot for the love of the universe download Forza Horizon 4 OR Forza Motorsport 7, try the following:

Open windows registry by pressing WINDOWS and typing “regedit”. Run as administrator.
Then find the following in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Then on the right hand side find NtfsDisableEncryption
Double click it and change the value to 0
Restart your computer, and now try downloading the game again.

After spending almost a week trying to get my hands on Forza Motorsport 7 and Horizon 4 through Game Pass on PC, I’m finally downloading as we speak. So I felt inclined to pass along this 3 year old hidden tip from a random dude on the internet solving a problem with a completely different game.
Source: Redirecting
Cheers to Alex from the '90s

At first I couldn’t download anything from the All-so-fantastic Windows Store, but after fiddling around with resetting/deleting/reinstalling microsoft store & gamingservice, starting and stopping services, deleting stuff, changing permissions, clearing caches etc.etc.etc. - I was finally able to download games. Except Forza games. Since I hade to search pretty deep on the web to find the solution, something tells me that this registry value is set to 0 by default. But somehow mine was set to 1.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Iv been having this issue with all my Windows/MS store games for the last few years, i knew the only fix i had was to reset my PC but i wasnt willing to do this. Wanted to boot up FH4 to play with friends but it wasnt working. Spent hours over the last few years trying to fix this but this is the ONLY thing that worked. Thank you so much mate.