Throttle lift engine braking?

Has anyone else noticed that when you lift off the throttle now the cars have a serious amount of engine braking. This is probably the only major physics car difference I’ve noticed from previous versions, except for some minor improvements that I really like. At first I thought it might just be the particular car I was driving, but now I’ve noticed it in four or five different cars.

When I lift off the throttle in a turn the engine doesn’t wind down slowly and steadily but instead seems to really brake itself quite a bit. I’ve had to really balance throttle modulation versus lifting a lot more than in previous versions. My guess would be this is probably more accurate, as high strung engines probably slow down thier inertial mass much more quickly than has been previously simulated in other Forza games.

Haven’t noticed that really. If you’re using pedals it could be that your brake dead zone needs to be adjusted.

I’m noticing a lot more lift off (unintentional) oversteer in general, which may be related to the engine braking. Accel-Off Drifts seem easier to initiate. Overall, I like the change as I have to think more about easing off the throttle rather than abruptly lifting if I want to avoid the rear end coming loose. This ought to improve my throttle control in general.

I’ve noticed it as well. On most of the vehicles I’ve come across it’s rather subtle. So much so that I thought I was imagining it initially but it seems to be real.

On another physics related issue it seems that the potential for losing traction if you brake in a turn is a bit higher but I may be imagining it. Again it is subtle. Have any of you noticed anything while braking?

I definitely notice that you have to pay more attention to weight transfer under braking. It’s easier to get the rear to step out. But again, I like this. It makes me focus more on braking progressively or sharply depending on what I am trying to get the car to do. More nuanced driving is possible.

1 Like

I’m finding the opposite. To me it seems there’s less engine braking. I’ve always had race diffs on all cars and in fm6 I’d need decel on all of the rwd cars, especially for mid engine. Most cars in fm7 so far I have decel set at 0 and still don’t oversteer on lift off, including a couple of mid engine cars.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’m right here. By setting the decel setting to zero you’re saying: when I lift off the throttle there is 0% chance of locking the rear differential, it will stay completely open. So you definitely should not cause oversteer at that point. Which is exactly what you’re experiencing. I always set my decel to zero in all cars (rwd fwd awd) for this exact reason.

There’s definitely a lot more engine braking. I used to either accelerate or brake, never just coasting. In Forza 7 I realized right from the beginning that the car slows down significantly when not accelerating. I love it, now I go through half the turns without braking.

2 Likes

I prefer the engine braking as well… I normally set this up if it’s not already engaged.

I noticed this Friday night playing in the Mercedes Racing trucks. I was having a horrible time of it with keeping up with the AI and at the time I assumed reasonable speeds, due to the large weight of the vehicle a friend was watching who owns some Freightliners suggested to release the clutch as well. To my surprise it worked, he knows only 2 things about video games jack and "… .

Needless to say I’m using this technique more and more in all vehicles in the game just as I do in real life. It is a good addition to the game in my opinion.

Glad to see others are experiencing this as well and I wasn’t going crazy. One of the things you can do to really see the effect. Get into a very light car like a prototype or something, take it on a straight, drive it up to redline in first gear and then release the throttle. Since the car is so light, the engine braking will be very pronounced. And since you’re really high on the engine revs it will immediately want to wind itself down. You will notice a significant slowing.

Just going to have to learn to drive differently. I used to coast quite a bit in the corners, now I’ll be using the engine to brake a little. I would expect that this new way it acts is significantly more accurate.

You can also try this in your own real car and you will notice the effect is very pronounced.

I’m going to need better and more accurate throttle control that’s for sure.

I noticed this right away too… It’s more apparent with my racing wheel/pedals than with my controller. It’s been quite an adjustment but I love it! It feels more realistic. Weight transfer (ie. cornering under braking) seems about the same to me. If anything, it’s less forgiving. I don’t use any assists other than flappy paddles (manual) with no clutch.

As a simple solution: When building your cars, always add a differential as it costs no PI. Go into the tuning menu, lower the decel differential setting for less lift off oversteer, raise for more.

diff will not directly fix it, I got my diff decal on one of my cars at 100% and I either understeer or oversteer into a slow corner, depending on (I guess ) if I turn and lift off at a bad timing.

Setting the diff to 100% means you are locking the differential what you are describing is exactly how it should be.

Some cars have their stock LSD setting for deceleration set really low. I noticed the same thing, particularly around turns in the Plymouth Cuda I was driving yesterday.

It’s early days but yes, the engine braking effect does seem more pronounced. It’s nothing to do with diff settings. It’s not a bad thing in essence because it adds to the value of throttle control, which was a bit hit and miss in previous iterations.

1 Like