Subaru Brat sound

Can someone please explain Why does Subaru Brat have sti exhaust sounds? xd Its old naturally aspirated 1.6 litre Flat 4 but yet it sounds like properly tuned STi lol…

1 Like

Laziness.

Most likely didn’t have a real BRAT to record so they took the audio package from another SUBARU.

This happens quite a fair bit in the genre, studios don’t always have access to real cars during development and even the ones they do have access to they may not be allowed to fire up. It all depends on the owner and what they will allow (and yes, for older cars you’re typically looking for a local owner and not the OEM as they won’t have one in a showroom).

DiRT Rally 2.0’s Volkswagen Polo GTI R5 used engine audio from the Skoda Fabia R5 until a real Polo was secured for recording, a few months after launch.

3 Likes

Brat STI, was a ultra limited run, only available in Madagascar, :joy:

At this point in games lifespan, they are just throwing any old random audio file onto cars, nothing sounds proper.

There’s some sti swapped brats out there irl. I’m guessing they’re dominating the streets.

I wonder if Ronald Reagan swapped his. :smile:

2 Likes

Didn’t he call his brat, Nancy?

1 Like

Doubtful. Subaru BRATs are very rare nowadays and it’s not easy to get sound recordings for older vehicles. Especially ones that have pretty much been abandoned by time.

3 Likes

There’s enough older wagons and sedans available that would sound the same.

1 Like

Considering the Brat was made for sixteen years, I find that a little hard to believe. Rarer than most cars, yes, but they could’ve found plenty in good enough condition if they tried. After all, they once found one in decent enough condition to scan.

It was made for 16 years, but that’s if you count both 1st and 2nd Gen models together
The first generation was only made up until 1982, with the Gen 2 using a different engine from the Gen 1

(For reference, the Allegro and Marina were both produced for 9 years, and yet, less than 1.000 are road legal in the entire UK now)

The BRAT does sound the same as the Impreza WRX (from the inside anyway) and similar from the outside to be fair to the devs (but with a bit more the engines about to rattle apart sound)

That’s what I think every time a WRX drives by is that it sounds just like that brat I heard in 1980. Be real.

Edit: wait I get it, with the radio up they probably do sound the same inside. Good one :+1:

For god’s sake, not again Playground…