Overhaul Offroad and Dirt racing

This is less a wish for a change in 5 and more a wish for FH6 and beyond. I’d be happy if the change came to 5, but that would require a completely new set of tracks.

I’m looking for the game to get more on the simulation side of it’s simcade nature. The issue with dirt and especially offroad racing right now is that it’s too arcade. Dirt racing feels disingenuous due to grip racing still being faster than drift racing on it, and offroad is just arcade nonsense with the jumps and smashing through everything.

What I’m looking for is an experience closer to Dirt Rally on loose surface roads, and an experience closer Snow/Mudrunners when offroad. I want to battle terrain.

I’d also love activities like delivery missions and orienteering races for offroad, but that’s secondary to the feel of driving offroad. I want to feel like I conquered the terrain with these machines as opposed to just gliding over it. I still want it to be possible to put offroad tires and rally suspension on a supercar, but for it to be a very, very bad idea.

I know FH has been allergic to this idea in the past, but I want to be able to get stuck.

Side note: Offroad tires also need a nerf. Those things should be nigh unusable on tarmac.

Delivery missions and orienteering events sound fun. The former were one of the business stories in FH4, so should be doable. The latter might need ANNA being turned off, but there was a special event last year which required some cross country navigation at a slower pace than Trailblazers, which could be brought back.

I’d like to see the implementation more “traditional” rally stages in Horizon 6 as seen in the Rally expansion. The stages added much needed race variety. Maintain the course notes, omit the helicopter, make the paths more narrow, and add more indestructible foliage and props lining the course to raise the stakes of the rally races.

1 Like

I don’t know about the pace notes. They were kind of late and useless in the expansion, and building better notes is something that I’m not sure is worth the effort, even though I would love it if it happened.

But yeah, an open world Dirt Rally 2.0 is pretty close to my dream car game.

Your idea would be even better if we could string together events with a cumulative time in some form of custom championship. Even better if we could set up public or private asynchronous PvP events to run said championships. But I’m getting a little ahead of myself.

1 Like

Yes, the notes were late at times, but that should be a simple enough fix. Racing with only pace notes and no minimap is sublime to me, and I welcome the much needed difficulty boost.