New FRICTION assist, massively OP in the wet.

PLEASE READ THE EDITS BELOW FOLKS

So firstly I just want to say how beautiful this game is looking, I would hope that the tuning and overall physics have had the same overhaul.

I wanted to test out this new setting to see if it was faster or not and to see the difference. So with some extensive testing tonight here are my results.

Preliminary testing.
Testing traction control settings.
Nurburgring GP Wet
Nissan Nismo GT-R
Other assists
Break line only
Normal steering ON
Stability OFF
manual
Cosmetic
Friction assist ON.
Super easy traction control 2:00.840
Normal Traction Control
2:00.997
Traction OFF
2:00.687
Now repeated with friction assist OFF.
Super easy Traction.
2:08.576
Normal Traction.
2:09.647 out lap was quicker half dry with a 2:07.
Traction OFF
2:09.704

In wet conditions NOT running friction assist severely effects your ability to slow down and get around corners In wet conditions.

DUBAI
911 GT2 RS '18
Dry conditions
Other assists
Break line only
Normal steering ON
Stability OFF
manual
Cosmetic
Friction assist ON.
Super easy traction control 2:38.161
Normal Traction Control
2:35.625
Traction OFF
2:24.103
Now repeated with friction assist OFF.
Super easy Traction.
2:37.593
Normal Traction.
2:35.346
Traction OFF
2:33.515

So overall Traction OFF is Fasterl IN both cases.
Friction is alot faster in wet but Slower in dry conditions.

I know using Friction Assist will not allow for valid leaderboard times. Is it safe to say its use will not be allowed in general multiplayer? Career only?

EDIT

So it appears that Dan head of T10 has been quoted to say that this friction assist IS in general multiplayer, and that for those who don’t want it can simply set up private lobbies or make use if the higher tier lobbies, where the assist is not allowed.

Just point out though T10 the break line with the friction assist OFF is all wrong. If you break at the break line you fly off the track.
If you turn the assist off then the break line needs to compensate.

EDIT

“Beginner hoppers will allow this assist. Rivals events and all other hoppers will disable it.”
From Bill Giese

EDIT

From HeliosT10

Thanks for the clarification Helios :+1:

2 Likes

When I used it,my TX wheel made a weird chattering noise,so I won’t be using it.

1 Like

Your wheel did, that’s a strange one lol I’m using a controller so I guess that doesn’t effect me.

Yes,it was like my wheel was doing a weird vibration,i could feel in holding the wheel,when I turned it off,it went away.

1 Like

It would be murderous to multi if they allow it. Crazy.

2 Likes

It would be massively OP in multiplayer in wet conditions.

When I asked Bill Giese and Dan Greenawalt about Friction Assist (via Twitter) back in June they said it will be available in Multiplayer.

If it truly is 8 seconds a lap faster in the wet I’m turning it on for every wet race. While I have enough personal skill and pride to run most races without assists that time gain is larger than anything you can get from a tune or good car selection; if you don’t have Friction Assist enabled in a wet Multiplayer race your chances of winning are greatly diminished.

1 Like

Oh my really? Well like you say then, pretty much will have to use it in wet. Otherwise you stand no chance what so ever.

You are kidding me.

3 Likes

Can’t belive t10 are going to allow friction assit in multiplayer. Online is the main reason I play and this will completly ruin it. Is it too late for a refund? I’m not the type of person to say I won’t buy it or that’s the final straw but honestly this is the final straw.

2 Likes

Just watched a xbox clip by ams nightmare driving on nurburgring with friction assist on. He was able to just drive off track like it was tarmac. Why was an assist like this necessary exactly. Even if you were new to the game how would it be beneficial to you to learn how to drive improperly. I really dont think it will be allowed in mutiplayer but who knows at this point with this developer.

9 Likes

I believe I seen something in the demo about it invalidating lap times if used. The way my TX chattered using it,i won’t use it and take a chance of messing up my wheel,even though I have a 2nd wheel and pedal set.

I can neither answer that with logic or reason lol

Here is the video for those who haven’t seen it: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AMS%20Nightmare/video/36713610

It would be a travesty if this is allowed in multiplayer. The assist were already putting players at a disadvantage for no benefit but this one seems to be game breaking.

Q: “Will this feature be single-player only?”

A: “Its an option in all modes, but we expect it to get most of it’s usage in single player and split screen modes.”

• Dan Greenawalt^

A: “Like all assists in game options players can create hoppers with it disabled. Higher tier multiplayer leagues will also have it disabled.”

• Bill Giese^
2 Likes

Still it is game destroying. Even in lower league aka lower skill lobbies.
So either use the in game features and create your own lobby or go high tier leagues.
Either way it still makes no sense why this was put it in, it’s pointless.

Since it invalidates laps I’ll only use it in career in the wet if needed.

On a somewhat related note, I’m so glad the puddles have been subdued as well. May not need the F. Assist at all.

2 Likes

That’s the first thing I saw before downloading the demo. It was the first clip where he cut through every corner like it was nothing. This is why I’m just holding out for now just to see what other fun surprises T10 has for everyone.

2 Likes

Yea regardless of the settings I tested the puddles are alot better and you can run through them without the front of the car dive in. Alot more manageable.

Pretty sure no one has confirmed that Friction Assist will invalidate lap times per se, all they’ve said was you can’t use it to get good lap times by cutting corners because cutting invalidates lap times anyway.

There has never been an assist in FM that invalidates lap times on its own, and given where it sits in the UI it would be a pretty bad bit of game design if this one does.

It says lap time submissions are disabled when using it.

3 Likes