Little known facts about the game

almost all silvia (ik i just found it out)
sesto
maseraty fe car

Isnā€™t that in the era when Autos generally had the shifter sticking out of the steering column? I seem to recall getting into one or two of those old cars and thinking it was odd that it was 3 speed then noticing the olā€™ shifting lever coming out of the side of the steering column and going ā€œOhhhh.ā€

Not always, but they did exist. Many of the bucket seat cars had a center console with an auto gear selector in the center. See pic (Buick GSX interior):

2 Likes

This was also an era of 4 speeds in cars with bench seatsā€¦lol. Anything was possible.

1 Like

I think Oldsmobile invented the automatic, and theyā€™ve been automatic ever since.

And yes a lot of old school muscle cars were 3 or 4 speeds. I donā€™t think the 5 speed was a thing in America until after the (first) oil crisis.

1 Like

By the mid 60ā€™s all the Olds auto and manual transmissions were GM. TH350 and TH400 autos. The original 442ā€™s (1964) used M-21 manuals, then eventually M-22 manuals were an option. All of the 442ā€™s built in 1964 were manuals (one of the ā€œ4ā€™sā€ in the name was for 4 speed). Once the 400 c.i. Olds engine came into play the ā€œ4 Speedā€ part of 442 changed to 400 c.i.

A stranger option was the 2 speed ā€œJet-Awayā€ auto (based on the 2 speed powerglide from Chevy). I had a 1967 Cutlass in high school that had that 2 speed. You had to wring out 1st gear before it shifted, otherwise you were dead in the water once it hit 2nd.

5 Speed American cars didnā€™t hit until the late 70ā€™s. Mustang IIā€™s used a 3 speed w/ overdrive (seemed like a 4 speed, but 3rd was 1:1 and 4th was .80). Chevetteā€™s and Vegas typically had 3 or 4 speed manuals. Same with Tiny Fords. The T-5 didnā€™t come about in Mustangs until a few years in the Fox body platform run. Early 80ā€™s saw a few econo-boxes with 5 speeds (Ford Fiesta, Citation, etc.) But it was still only an option, as the 4 speed manuals were the base drivetrain.

2 Likes

Ok, that automatic may be the answer. But wouldnā€™t it make sense to have the car switch up to 4 if a person is running on manual?

Forza has never done that, The car reflects what data they were able to pull from the donor car. So if the car brought to them was a 3 speed auto. It will only have 3 gears in game no matter your settings.

Those old school V8s had tons of low end torque. I donā€™t think American engineers cared about efficiency, especially considering that the tires those cars ran on stock were made mostly from hopes and dreams.

Donā€™t think they would have gained much with a 4th gear. Though now that I really think about it Iā€™m struggling to think of a 3 gear classic muscle. Mind you I donā€™t usually partake of the classic muscle, but I do have the odd one in my favourites list. A C class '69 Camaro here, a B class '65 Mustang thereā€¦ definitely havenā€™t kept stock transmissions on them all but I feel like I did on at least some.

Well, my '66 Mustang was a 3 speed Top Loader manual w/ a 289. Iā€™ve seen a few mid 60ā€™s GTO/442/Skylark GS with that 2 speed auto as well as 3 speed manuals. Those cars are out there, just not the ā€œidealā€ cars for Barret Jackson or any other auction, so we as the public, donā€™t see them much.

I do find it strange that we have a 1970 Hemi Super Bee in game. There were only 4 of them produced ever. Yet there are hundreds of thousands of them in gameā€¦lol.

How many replicas though ? Lots I suspect. And my quick look trying to find a number for that proved fruitless but did pop up 42 1970 Hemi Super Bees delivered. Still very rare, the rarest in fact, but I get your pointā€¦ still, itā€™s a game, ā€œIā€ own the genuine article in the game, all 42 of them lol, all those other ones are replicas :wink:

Not sure where that number comes from, but officially through Mopar/Chrysler there were 4 total.

The rarest Hemi cars of all time are the '70 Coronet R/T convertible at 2 total, '67 R/T convertible at 3 total, '70 Road Runner convertible at 3 total, and the Super Bee at 4 total (as there were no convertible Beeā€™s sold to the public).

Iā€™ll trust your numbers :+1:

After a bit of research, 42 was the total number of Hemi cars sold in 1970, across all body styles.

Itā€™s crazy to think that in 7 years of production, only 11k Hemi cars were sold to the public. Total.

1 Like

Two-speed autos were a big thing for a while there too. The original Chevy Powerglide (as seen in the '53 Corvette and the '57 Bel Air) was only a two-speed. Ford used a two-speed Fordomatic from '59-'63, along with the 3-speed Cruisomatic/FX/MX. Pretty sure Chryslerā€™s Powerflite was a 2-speed as well.

Funnily enough, both the Powerflite and Fordomatic were reverse-engineered for Soviet use in ZILs and GAZs respectively.

3 Likes

Otis Chandlerā€™s museum in Oxnard, CA?

1 Like

I saw Chandler and it clicked, a lot of his cars were featured in the older Collectible Automobile magazines I used to pour over as a kid. My best mateā€™s father is a fairly prominent hot rod guy over here in Australia and in California, he met Boyd and Chip Foose quite a few times at the Grand National Roadster Show when he was a youngster.

To add to your list of super rare cars (that Iā€™d like to see in Forza one day), my father owns what is probably a 1 of 1 1955 Ford Crown Victoria. I own the only known survivor of a small run (about 10) of Australian-delivered 1971 Lincoln Continental sedans.

1 Like

Since this discussion is about little known facts: Iā€™ve searched the forum previously & often wondered why cockpit windshield HUDs have never been in the game. Assuming I completely missed some information on this?

1 Like

If weā€™ve talking rare and outside of the game, how about this rarity:

1 Like

Meanwhile, back to the game, I compiled a short list of a few older cars and their in game stock transmissions. Checking the upgrades to make sure they are orig game setups. Then taking a drive in auto and manual. Right, both shift the same gear set. If itā€™s a 2 spd itā€™s a 2 spd in auto or manual.

The list:

Stock transmissions

53 Corvette 2 speed powerglide

55 Chevy 150 u sedan 3 spd

57 Belair 2 spd powerglide

67 Stingray 4 spd manual

69 Nova Super Sport 4 spd

65 Mustang 4 spd

70 Dodge Coronet 4 spd

70 Dodge Challenger 4 spd

79 Buick GSX 3 spd

77 Trans Am 4 spd