Horizon Promo in FH4

Right, finally got the 200 car photos to unlock the 2 new cars. Most of the time was spent trying to stay awake during the 10 minute loading screens and the time it takes to process the photos. I could have spent that time actually using the two new cars, but now I’ve had the will to live sucked out of me and can’t be bothered, so have shut the game down. I’ll go and do something more useful to make up for the total waste of time that was.

1 Like

Just start a drag race with different car categories… press P immediately after start, take phone (6-7 cars at least per shot). Quit race, rinse and repeat.

I understand people like this feature but … why ?!
You could take pictures before if you like it. For those that don’t care about that is just a tedious task of waiting for the game to load, quit photo mode, load again.
This sucks, never understood this feature even in FH3.
The rewards are ridiculous (I don’t even sell cars less than 1 mil in AU and just delete them and here I get ~ 750.000 CR ? WTF :))

PS: I’m gonna start driving around in a Capri FE and have half of the server chasing me for a picture.

PS2: 99% of the users will stop at 200 pictures.

PS3: This could’ve been great if done more smartly… photograph that car in a specific place or setup… kinda like the treasure hunt. The way it’s done… it’s completely boring and useless.

2 Likes

PS4
if you dont want to do it, DONT do it

2 Likes

Took all day! But I did finish…

6 Likes

No wonder your avatar wears glasses…lol.

1 Like

Working from home has its advantages! Not gonna say I enjoyed it because I didn’t lol but I won’t have to worry about it now

Well, if anyone is interested, I’ve compiled all categories into Share Codes:

You can get up to 12 cars in one go (maybe need a second shot if the grid is well spread out).

Some categories have more than 12 cars, so a few goes will be required.

The most I got in one go was 11 (had to get the 12th with a second photo)

But this will be a lot quicker and you’ll just need to mop up the stragglers that have been missed by taking photos whilst still in the garage using “Forzavista” and selecting “Photo Mode”. (if you have them).

3 Likes

I enjoyed this in previous games. But seeing as the game has been out soooo long, it’s kinda a bit late. It will be a chore for those who have all the cars already and don’t really intend on driving them all again.

2 Likes

You have to take pictures, not drive the cars. You can just park the car in solo mode and wait for drivatars to pass by. You can be a rookie or a seasoned player there’s no difference. Both have to take 685 pic to complete the set. It is a chore but the 2 cars are well worth it.
I don’t get the complains… Doing this or that is a waste of time… I always thought that playing games is perse a waste of time.

1 Like

Time spent doing something you love is not a waste of time.

Time spent doing busywork on the other hand…

So the activity in and of itself is a waste of time and few would do it were it not for the rewards. A bit like going to work for most people. At least you do have IRL bills to pay so you have little choice but to raise money one way or another. You don’t really need another couple of cars which will drive like ones you already have.

1 Like

But, you are aware that you can waste your time even when doing something you like? That one doesn’t exclude the other?
Most if not every chore leads to some rewards. Irl or in virtual word. Most people will also feel they are waisting their time doing chores. We are not reinventing the wheel here.

1 Like

By definition, if you enjoy your time then it is not wasted.

So we’re agreed it’s an unenjoyable chore, but the rewards are enjoyable. A bit like going to work in a job you dislike (ie. most people) for the reward of being able to keep a roof over your head. That makes sense, but for me it makes no sense to get another car I don’t care about and is only arbitrarily ‘rare’ because it’s locked behind this chore.

It is hard for me to get my head round the devs doing these pointless updates when they fail to fix the MAJOR flaws with the game people have been complaining about for months.

1 Like

What definition? I have a dead end on my project but decide to go on the beach. I am wasting my time. There are tons of other examples. So I am asking again, what definition?
If you don’t care don’t do it. Where’s the problem?
Why are you wondering that devs are following their own schedules instead of yours? And surprise people are different! Something may be pointless to you but fun for others.

It looks like I am wasting my time trying to explain the logic that if one ENJOYS doing something then it, by logical definition, CANNOT BE a ‘waste of time’. It’s an oxymoron.

And you’ve already acknowledged that photographing hundreds of cars in this game is not fun.

I doubt one person finds the actual activity in and of itself to be fun.

You find going to the beach fun, which is why you go to the beach. It’s why you went to the beach and not to an industrial estate or some waste ground somewhere. That wouldn’t have been fun.

You went somewhere to do what you enjoy doing. Doing that thing IS ITS OWN REWARD. Taking photos in this game mode is not its own reward, it is a busywork roadblock to the actual reward you want.

2 Likes

Look I really don’t want to stretch this anymore. But… You can waste your time while still enjoying the activities. Like when you are lazy and stay in bed the whole morning. It’s not an oxymoron. You are more trying to convince me than explaining anything.

I know a few of them that are actually happy for this feature. I personally don’t care. I am still happy for them. This was also clearly not meant to be a rush thing. The rewards are the cars and other things. Somebody will get those rewards naturaly simply by playing as always, others will rush ending with a chore feeling. Nothing is ultimate just because you believe it.

1 Like

Yes, even if taking photos is the thing in the game someone enjoys the most, they’ll still most likely not enjoy simply grinding out photos of 200 cars in the shortest amount of time possible. To the extent that I’ve enjoyed taking photos in the game, I’ve enjoyed spending time trying to make good photos, not cranking out lots of terrible photos fast. Same in real life - I enjoy photography, but if someone told me to capture photos of 200 different cars in real life, I’d want paying to do it.

Doing chores for rewards is a thing in real life, of course, but the purpose of a game is to not be like real life. If the game were like real life, most of us would only have one car in the game and would never be able to do enough chores to earn a Ferrari etc.

3 Likes

I have no interest in this whatsoever but so long as they don’t tie an achievement to it, I can largely ignore it.

Is it me or have they made going into the photo mode more snappier?

To speed up the photo processing time you have to change sampling mode to fast (under photo effects mode).

One issue occurred to me: switching into Horizon Solo mode to get more traffic to the roads means drivatars only use few different cars (depending of your car type). Even, when you change a car, majority of drivatars are in Focus RS and Audi TT. I thought that it would be cool to just cruise around for a change (to the annoying Festival Playlist) and hunt down cars, but noooo. In previous games you got larger amount of different drivatar cars similar to your car type.

Example:

2 Likes

TOP TIP!

Not sure what mine was set to (probably “Quality”), but reset the photo settings to default (which probably reset it to “Fast”) and went from 30ish seconds per capture to 12ish. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just tried it on PC, quality about 6 seconds, fast about 3 seconds.