Forza Motorsport Graphics Downgrade research and comparisons

Man, this killed me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

They both look crap to me :upside_down_face:

I don’t quite understand that. Is it wrong to constantly remind people of the promises that were made? Or is it wrong that the game still doesn’t live up to the promise after such a long time?

6 Likes

One thing that really irritates me is how they are completely ignoring this thread.

Not a single mention of these issues in their statements since release and this is one of the most popular threads here.

Just tell us if you’re working on improving this and when can we expect updates.

5 Likes

They literally don’t care.

In reality the game has barely changed since launch, still full of issues (in fact I now getting crashes more frequently since Update 8). Looks nothing like what was advertised and is generally poor to play.

Everyone should request a refund to send them a message that they’ve knowingly released a below sub-standard product and can’t get away with it.

4 Likes

Until I got a reply, I thought that person kept showing how the game “looks like in reality”, something I’ve seen on other social media being done genuinely.

The brutal truth is that all these promo shots just like the ones posted only days ago with that Mazda and the Mobil 1 shots, they cannot be recreated by anyone apart from Turn10

That to me is a sign

7 Likes

I’m not convinced. The time of day doesn’t match as you say, so it’s hard to tell, but nothing else stands out as very different at all. The position of tree leaves are even the same, taking into account the difference in camera position.

Since launch, if a trailer specifically says in game footage, it no longer uses RTGI or anything like that. At least from what I’ve seen.

If you can match the time of day and prove it irrefutably, because they’re specifically claiming this is in game footage, that would be extremely useful.

1 Like

This comparison really stands out since the actual game appears to look significantly worse than the gameplay trailer.

Using max PC graphics on Maple Valley at morning with partly cloudy weather and some focus blur, I find that it doesn’t look quite as bad as the screenshot you shared. That’s not to say that the gameplay trailer isn’t misleading, but we should be fair and use the highest possible graphics and similar weather during comparisons.

3 Likes

Problem is, they specify Series X or ‘equivalent settings on PC’ in these.

They still claim global illumination is used

4 Likes

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but I didn’t see them outright claim that the gameplay demo was all on Xbox Series X or equivalent in the video, although it’s heavily implied that it was.

Maybe this article is what you’re referring to?

Editor’s Note: We incorrectly stated that the Forza Motorsport demo was captured in-game on Xbox Series X. The demo was captured in-game on PC, and also tested on Xbox Series X for the same visual quality output. We have corrected* this in the article.”

In any case, even the correction they added is still false.

4 Likes

Realtime raytracing, global illumination, and physically based lighting.

To me this reads as the raytracing being realtime as well as the global illumination being realtime. The inclusion of physically based lighting in the list is something that indicates it’s not just talking about raytracing here, but that’s just a quirk of the English language.

Global illumination ≠ raytracing. The push for realtime global illumination has been big across AAA gaming this gen, and it’s a big reason forza motorsport is so much heavier to render even without raytracing.

I do think comparing console settings is equally valid, but the difference between console and PC isn’t nearly as significant as the difference time of day can cause.

1 Like

Yes, as they state it’s equivalent to Series X settings

1 Like

Global illumination is being used, just not ray-traced global illumination. The Global illumination method in the game right now is called Surfel Global Illumination.

These aren’t two different builds. They are two different games. What the heck?!?

And it looks terrible, especially during the night.

1 Like

The GI makes relatively little difference at night. I think the biggest problem there is the severely cut back light sources and lack of self shadowing entirely on the cars. The latter being present even in upgraded footage

Here are some more images to make comparisons for, the Ferrari image is visually striking and seeing the version we have likely pales in comparison. The RTGI looks amazing on the inside of the Jaguar’s headlights:

1 Like

Are these promo images? I’m admittedly not the best at taking photographs in game but I have yet to find any settings taking pics in FM23 that match my best pictures from FH5 FH4 or FM7, let alone any pics turn10 releases, it’s frustrating. Also I’m on series X and have messed with performance and quality modes.

Yes, these are promo images.