Forza Motorsport Graphics Downgrade research and comparisons

If I had to guess, I assume the extra graphical features wouldn’t run well on Xbox and they won’t commit the resources to release them on PC. Either that or there’s a strange mindset where they don’t want to have a big difference between Series X and PC.

That’s it, a level playing field where PC gamers hardware is so poorly optimised it matches the series s

They don’t want a big difference between Xbox and PC.

That was obvious from forza horizon 5 arbitrarily locking the most lightweight RT implementation possible to the garage when PC could easily run it in the open world, as proven by mods that enabled it. (I could do it on a 2060 super at the time. The second lowest spec RT capable card at 1440p 60fps)

It also explains why PC has no control over RT resolution or BVH range. These are very simple additions that they’d already have options for internally, but would too drastically increase the gap between PC and console.

Optimisation isn’t really an excuse either. The game doesn’t run too well on PC for how it looks but there’s still a lot of performance overhead on high end PCs targeting 60fps. Even if it ran at like 5fps on some hardware, it’d still be a benefit to photomode.

2 Likes

Every single image in this blog post on the new update seems to be using RTGI, with absolutely no mention of it whatsoever.

6 Likes

My guess is they will release a next gen version of the game, when the new Xbox gets released. I mean it’s always just a matter of time before there is a new one.

It’s a GaaS, this way they can sell the same product twice and maybe can lure more ppl into using gamepass. And while they are at it, they also release it for PC.

1 Like

It’s a risky move to hold onto stuff in the racing game genre especially with a game that doesn’t really know what it wants to be.

That said I had a 2 year break from FM7 and when I went back after ditching FM8 for a few months it was still enjoyable because of the large single player campaign. I don’t see FM8 being able to shake the stale SP campaign unless they go back to the drawing board and make it feel like you are actually achieving something

I’m not dropping any more money on it that’s for sure and those that have been burnt are certainly not coming back… Ever

Maybe the next gen version will be for free for the ppl that already own it and they only hold it back so the console versions don’t look so bad compared to the PC version. But the PC version already looks superior compared to XSX, so i don’t really see the point why they do that.

Or maybe it’s still so buggy or something that it only really works for promo screenshots atm.

I’ll go for the latter, no issues when the game is in photo mode then add some flashy stuff that the consumers can’t do and call it in-game, just not in your game

Can anyone find an example of RTGI or rough reflections after the games launch that specifically claims to be in game footage?

I was sure there was something but I can’t find it.

Sadly I totally agree with everything you said. I’m on Series X and I’ve always said it’s not as powerful as they made it out to be. £400 console won’t have anything special in it just do the maths.
That’s what’s holding you PC players back which is wrong

2 Likes

Two things that stand out to me

Playing in quality mode on Xbox series X on a large 4k tv still looks nothing like the promo shots and videos they keep posting, I know all games do this, but this one seems more egregious than most I’ve seen in my opinion.

I know it’s not apples to apples but anytime I go from FH5 to FM23 I’m like “what happened” FH5 just looks all around better to me.

I feel pretty deceived from all the pre-release Xbox stuff they advertised.

1 Like

That is because FH5 also has been released on last gen. It has been released on the end of it’s lifecycle, in the end the games usually look the best. Because there the devs have learned to squeeze the rest out of the performance the console has. That is also why it’s so very well optimized.

That is also why Cyberpunk 2077 feels so great now on current gen and PC, because they also had to use every ace they had up their sleeve.

Then if they only have to devolop games for the newer gen and PC, they get more lazy and use the laziest solutions for problems. That doesn’t lead to innovations, nah then it’s just the bare minimum, until the end of the lifecycle of the current gen console again. Then they have to squeeze out all of it again, so they can deliver the best product they can. I am pretty sure FH6 will be that game, PGG will squeeze out everything and use the knowledge that has already been learned to further optimize the game.

In a year or two FM23 is probably a great game, when the next console gen is released or whenever that is.

2 Likes

A question for you. I’m still looking to upgrade from the Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d. I’m running a 3080 at 5760x1080 triple screen. I don’t think I am going to see any uplift once I upgrade to the 5800x3d. But do you think I’ll see any improvement? Except for the screens, I believe your setup is close to what I am running. I could be wrong though…

I don’t think that would help much tbh. You need massive single CPU core performance, the 5800x3d has lower single core performance than the regular 5800x. Someone else here in the forums said he upgraded his regular 5800x to the 3d version and his peformance got even worse. I can’t remember who it was. But he did post it here somewhere.

But of course it will massively improve performance in other games if you upgrade it.

Maybe just search for it.

The RTX 4070 so pretty much has the same performance like the RTX 3080.

Lol oops bad video, he capped his FPS to 60.
That guy has a 4080.

7900xtx

The problem is none of these ppl really tests the CPU, they test both. If you find a video of somebody who plays with 1080p in lowest quality or using DLSS Ultra Performance, then you could see how the 5800x3d is really doing.

Maybe this helps:

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’ll continue looking into how it will affect other games I play too. I am sure ACC will see a decent uplift, probably Assetto Corsa as well. I doubt that Raceroom will see any benefit, although the single core score is higher than my 3600. The 3600 got 1,183 on Geekbench 5, where the 5800x3d got 2,093 on Geekbench 6. Seeing that they ran different versions of the benchmarking application, this is kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

Then I made the mistake of looking at an Intel 13900K’s single core score (2,314 in Geekbench 5) … I see why that is the coveted processor on R3E’s forums. Goodness! But that is too rich for my blood. I’d have to get something more human, like a 13700k, which got a 2,065 single core score in Geekbench 5.

Something I noticed in my search so far, if all that mattered was single core scores, then the 5800x would be the CPU to get. As you said the 5800X would do better than the 5800X3D in single thread performance, which is what FM23 and R3E are saddled with. But I wonder if it would be wise just to buy a CPU based off of the performance of just these two games. I don’t think it would be such a smart thing to do.

Thanks again for the answer. I got a little time until I am ready to get the processor, so more things to investigate.

I also doubt that Turn 10 would magically get Fm23 to excel on multi-threaded CPUs. If they did, then the x3d would be a hands down better pic between the two 5800 processors.

Quality mode isnt really a quality mode though. The only thing that digital foundry found to be different from the performance rt mode was there was some ray traced reflections on certain parts of certain tracks. Running this game at 30fps should have enabled some substantial differences, like it does in horizon 5. Imo the game wasn’t and in many ways still isnt finished.

I believe the rtgi situation is due to some kind of major performance ussue. Screen shots and little snippets of gameplay with it on is manageable, but if the game has suffered without it, who knows how bad it would be if turned on.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much what I feel, only problem is that racing games in 2024 (on PC’s) should run at a minimum of 60fps and Turn10 settled for that. Problem being that 60 doesn’t cut it anymore as faster refresh rates have been out on PC monitors for a long time plus the flat screen tv’s have caught up.

The faster the refresh rate the more sense of speed and 60fps doesn’t cut it anymore, sure there’s some that will say it’s fine but it’s really not… care to argue that console peeps?

Cut out all the bullcrap around the track like the screens and flags, balloons, blimps and Helicopters , Forget about 3D trees as most in the distance still look 2D and some up close the same (track depending)

PC gamers are being held back by the plug and play consoles market. Solution to this is either just release it on the console and stop posting promo pictures that are a complete have… Or get with the times Turn10 and offer what’s on show to those that can run it on their setup!

3 Likes

The thing with the 3D trees and even real 3D clouds in the sky, is that it’s needed for Raytracing. That is why even the mountains in the far distance on Nordschleife are not just 2D, no even they are 3D. I think that guy who talked about his 18 months contract there explained it in his video iirc.

At least that is how I understood it.

2 Likes

Yeah was looking at the trees off in the distance this arvo racing around the only track I bought the game for and they are just lines of 2D trees off in the distance, they only become sort of 3D when near them.

There’s this (maybe my settings) shadow that runs along the tree line and that’s when the trees kinda become 3D. Totally pointless in a racing game really as you might just glance to the side of your vision and usually only when you are bored.

The main focus is like this, extended your arm and do the thumbs up :+1: to the screen, now focus on your thumbnail. That’s your main point of focus, that tiny nail, everything else is perception from how quickly you look around and if your really focused on the racing, nothing else matters.

All these fancy lights and Ferris wheels are a distraction from what you should be focused on if you want to Win!..
Or want less crap, more FPS!!!

3 Likes

Yes i feel the same way about these excessive decorations. But i think some of it is really there on the real tracks. But they can remove the flags, balloons, lights, helicopters, blips etc. that aren’t there on the real tracks. Also there shouldn’t be thousands of ppl sitting on the ranks and standing around the track, if all there is are super slow sedans or something. It just doesn’t make sense.

3 Likes