Forza Motorsport Graphics Downgrade research and comparisons

2 Likes

Interesting…

Not the “In game” jargon. What I am reffering to is how the driver is holding the wheel. The driver view we got, where the arms are shown suggests that, the driver is rotating their entire arm at the shoulders. Heck to replicate this in reality, I need to twist in my seat. There is no way the steering animation we got matches this image. Not a snowball’s chance in Hades that the in-game driver, is using that animation.

So, even more shenanigans to add to the list!

1 Like

Yeah, all the trailers featuring RTGI and rough reflections use this disclaimer.

Funnily enough, when we finally saw early footage of what the game ACTUALLY looked like, they replaced that with something along the lines of “early dev build, subject to change”, giving the impression that the better graphics were the actual game and the downgrade was just a development branch.

Could be a coincidence, but I’d be surprised if nobody knew what they were doing when they made that decision.

1 Like

This happens a lot in the gaming industry… Dates back to before the days of the PS2. Didn’t think T10 would pull such a stunt though.

False advertisements? Yes everybody does it.

Very few continue it after the product has already released, or specifically state that something is in game footage when it isn’t. It’s why ‘in engine’ is overused instead.

4 Likes

Ref: https://theforge.dev/

1 Like

Playground did it in a couple of horizon 5 trailers when they showed off ray tracing yet it wasnt in the game and digital foundry called them out on it. I just think turn 10 has taken it much further as its not just one difference theres multiple downgrades and imo the bigger issue is they continue to use these settings to market the game. I can understand prelaunch and things might not be 100% accurate but you want to show off the game, but we’re half a year in now, its just disingenuous at this point.

3 Likes

Right. You have to admit though that FH 5 looked much prettier on launch and delivered most of the goods promised in the pre release footage.

Today, it looks even better. Well, minus the bright purple and green textures morphing in/out of view on the performance graphical setting. Happens mostly in foggy weather and typically late evening and night.
Irks me to bits haven’t bought FH 5 because of that as I play it only in performance mode (when I had Gamepass)

Fh5 has a superior graphical presentation for sure. The issue this game has is its dynamic lighting and how things are effected by it. The taa implementation is also sub par but its apparently necessary for performance reasons. The gamma has been adjusted which has helped and theyve removed the urine colored filter. They also have toned down the milky haze which seemed to be present all the time.

The game looks better than at launch, but for a next gen title i think more was expected. We’ll see what happens when the next horizon comes out, if theyre able to optimize it more or get the dynamic lighting to work or if they stick with the prebaked lighting which honestly just looks and works better.

2 Likes

TAA may be necessary for performance reasons on the consoles, but there’s never a good reason to force it on the PC platform. It’s also just not a very good implementation anyway.

John Linnemann from Digitial Foundry made a very detailed video about the history of Gran Turismo.

1 Like

Until they come up with something else its here to stay. I dont play on pc but theres ways to sharpen it for many games, but i don’t know if forzas one of them.

Relevance?

For the last few weeks, more and more of the images Turn 10 have been sharing have made blatant use of unavailable graphical tech. This has got to be the most obvious use of high quality raytracing I’ve seen in a long time, it’s simply not representative of the game in any way.

Edit: The post was taken down, here’s the replacement https://twitter.com/ForzaMotorsport/status/1787550282525671431?t=MOvj2ePvimZ1qVeG6JtftA&s=19

8 Likes

Seeing these promotional images using non-current graphics options… Really makes me wonder whether many (or even all?) of the assets T10 are posting/showing were created months or even a year or more ago.

I mean, it’s possible the announcer for the intro for the rotating Cup events is AI. But if it’s a real human voice actor, they had to have recorded a preselected set of Cup intros. Planned for release over time, but still, I have doubts they’d have a voice actor come into the studio monthly for each new patch/Cup release.

To my imagination it’s more likely to have been recorded in a bulk group, perhaps a year or more ago. Same with the promotion screenshots that are released along side.

This would allow minimal labor hours to be required for each update.

4 Likes

I thought this may be true, even the track reveals showing off RTGI would make sense as they’re unlikely to not be being held back since launch.

Curiously though, I noticed they stopped using so many screenshots without RTGI a while ago so I figured they ran out and started using up to date pics, but recently it’s been non stop again.

Idk. They undoubtedly have a build with these features so I don’t see why they couldn’t keep taking these screenshots post launch.

Another shot with better reflections and lighting. PC version with max settings can’t achieve this.

8 Likes

After seeing that I know where they are spending all their time, photoshopping for daily posts on Ex

Libalah

1 Like

Not photoshop. Simply using the graphical tech they’ve already created.

Its so simple that there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to use it too.

5 Likes