Aero wash/loss of downforce when cars follow closely behind (1639513)

Bug Info: Higher class cars (S and higher) lose a significant amount of downforce when a car follows closely behind. This results in the leading car becoming extremely unstable and much slower through corners. This often leads to slow lap times and exponentially increased risk of crashing for the lead car.

Platform: Series X
Edition: Premium, Add-Ons
Account: solo account
Peripheral: Controller
Settings: Performance mode, all assists off apart from braking line
Xbox Settings: no parental controls
Attempted fixes: none
Content Update: Happened before and after update

13 Likes

Gonna post a reply I put in another thread like this oneā€¦

Not directly related but also if you have gamertags showing above the cars, if the car behind gets into this zone on your rear bumper, the name tag completely blocks your view in chase cam

1 Like

The aero wash mechanic is what has me not playing the game right now. Iā€™m waiting for turn 10 to remove this and put it in the patch notes before I come back. Trying to run a close race with drivers of similar skill levels is infuriating

6 Likes

I tried to test this effect further:

5 Likes

Just wanted to add to the topic some information to think about
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343391137_CFD_Analysis_of_Slipstreaming_and_Side_Drafting_Techniques_Concerning_Aerodynamic_Drag_in_NASCAR_Racing

If we look at this graph

weā€™ll see that the leading car lose some drag when the car behind is approaching.

Not 100% about downforce, but in my opinion if it loses some drag then most likely it happens at cost of downforce, as the front of the leading car cant be affected.

Would be cool to see if someone tested side drafting too. If the effect you are talking about drastically increases during side draft, then itā€™s all makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

Really interesting article. Thank you very much for sharing it.
According to whatā€™s written here :ā€œWithin the approximate range of vehicle spacings, x/L = 0.25 to x/L = 1.5, all trailing members have significant drag increments [ā€¦] This ā€˜drag bubbleā€™ is aerodynamically advantageous for the leading car where it experiences a reduction in dragā€ , should appropiate tests confirm the downforce reduction for the leading car, it might not be a bug at all.

1 Like

However, itā€™s worth to mention that that research refers to NASCAR cars, which have different aero package than prototypes or other cars with rear wings. So this is information to consider but it doesnā€™t state that everything is correct/incorrect in the game.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Just saying:

That was a test on Down force (in game).

and This is a test on Drag (irl):

Itā€™s very interesting if there is in fact some of this effect going on and it being based on actual aerodynamics. I honestly have never felt it, but then again Iā€™m not in the lead that often. What I have experienced though is the airflow changes when passing a car at high speed and moving quickly out of the leading cars wake. It does give a ā€œslight shakeā€ as I pass (I believeā€¦).

This issue was addressed in Update 3.0:

• Rebalanced the slipstream impact on front and rear downforce when being drafted by another car (aerowash fix).

This topic reached 142 votes (ranked #1 in Report New Issues)