A question for the "car guys"

i dig the horizon games, and i dig the motorsport games, but im not a true petrol head. i like fast cars, but then who doesnt. there is something i have noticed in this and previous games, and hopefully the more petrol head amongst you will be able to explain. if i know why it happens, i may be better at handling it.
lambos have the steering circle of an oil tanker. at anything abouve say 60-70 mph, they dont want to turn. i feel i have to crawl to go around a corner. in a straight line they are rockets but give em a corner and they wont go. these things are super cars, but they arent super cornering.

explanations, driving tips and tuning tips welcome. though tuning is limited on the huracan cause its all stock bits and i dont wana go out of class if pos.

cheers

bert

The reason why the car isn’t turning is probably a phenomenon called understeer. Understeer occurs when the forces put on the tyre by a car are higher than the friction of the tyre on the road, meaning that the grip that produces the turning force is lost and the car slides in a “straight” line.

To reduce understeer:

• reduce forces on the front tyres, i.e. slow down
  • fit more grippy tyres, i.e. the race tyres
  • tuning the suspension geometry will help but that’s if you can due to your car level (edit)
    “Slow in, fast out” is the famous statement when it comes to cornering!

i appreciate that its understeering my man, but thanks for the reply anyhoo. my bad i guess for not being clear. what specifically about the lambos makes this “seemingly” more pronounced. ive always found the lambos very understeer prone. if possible, im after some specific lambo knowledge and efficient tips towards improving it with as few upgrades as pos.

cheers

The more modern Lambos are just very understeer heavy, like the Huracan and Aventador. The reasons exactly for this would be very technical to explain and i’m not even 100% myself but to put it in basic terms i believe it is to do with the centre of mass of the car (where the weight is for the car) and the fact they aren’t really made to be track cars, surprisingly enough.
Lambos are made to be exciting to look at and fun to drive on a road honestly so the stock setups generally aren’t really too great for racing. These problems can be lessened by tuning suspension, sway bars etc. which is actually very simple to do. You just look at the description for each thing and it will tell you for example ‘increase value to lessen understeer’ it’s as simple as that!
So basically if you don’t want to buy adjustable upgrades, just use a different car!

at least im not imagining it :slight_smile:
i think im also, with the lambos at least, thrown by that even without assists on, they are monsters in a straight line. little to no wheel spin. gas and go. then you try and turn and you remember its not a “race cr”. ill play with the suspension later. back to my scooby for now :slight_smile:

The Forza series has always exaggerated the understeer on them, I’d assume atleast partially as a means to try to balance them with their RWD competitors. You can certainly improve them by dialing out the understeer by way of parts selection and tuning. I’d suggest square tire setup or as close as you can get (same size front and rear). Sway bar and diff settings will make the biggest improvement tune wise. I find that adding a tenth or two of toe out drastically improves turn in on AWD cars as well, so that may help it feel sharper on low speed corners.

Lamborghinis tend to be somewhat heavy, due to the weight of the extra components required by their AWD drivetrains, and the added momentum that results from this weight hurts their cornering capabilities. On the other hand, they have excellent acceleration, also due to their AWD systems, so without realizing it, you may be approaching corners at higher speeds than you would reach in other cars. This also makes you more likely to understeer on corner entry. The solution is to accept that you won’t have the highest mid-corner velocity, but you can make it up with your superior acceleration on corner exit. Brake and slow down more, get the car turned, the floor it on the way out of the corner, where RWD cars have to be careful about how they put their power down.

In addition to the above factors, since Horizon is a relatively “casual” game compared to the more hard-core racing sims, the default car setups tend to be more benign and understeery, since most novice drivers can cope with understeer better than they can with oversteer (especially lift-off oversteer on corner entry). This is the same reason why most mainstream road cars in real life are deliberately biased toward understeer. If you use the adjustable race suspension, you can try adding rear toe-out, or generally stiffening the rear suspension, to tame understeer. Other possibilities to consider include increasing front tire width (though this will also increase your PI) or increasing front downforce / reducing rear downforce.

I haven’t driven many of the Lamborghinis yet, however I spent a good deal of time with the Aventador FE. The trick I find with this car is to take it very slow when going into the corner and aim for a later than usual apex. Whilst it may be a slow entry (so beware of other cars diving down the inside of you), it allows for a quick exit and for you to get on the acceleration more quickly than the conventional line.
Just my experience.

There’s 2 types of supercars in this game… whether or not it mimicks the real world counterpart is irrelevant. They either have exceptional handling or exceptional speed by default, this including all upgrades to the top of S2. You need only slightly tune the ones with good handling. But you must tune the ones with over the top speed otherwise they will be frustrating to drive.

• You need front and rear aero and set each to max downforce.

• You want to install and tune the front antiroll bars to the extreme end of soft for more turn in.

• adjust the camber, toe and caster slightly to a greater value than default until you feel a difference.

On a related note differential acceleration needs to come down on both since you added a ton of HP… this helps grip on acceleration. 20-30% works well

Just as an example my Jaguar CX75

Camber

Toe

Caster 6.5

Rollbars

Aero
Maxed cornering

Audi’s also have a tendancy to understeer, it is a byproduct of AWD.

Drive a 2wd Lambo and you’ll notice it is more likely to oversteer than understeer.

I can throw a quick possible answer out there for what you may be experiencing. Most cars are going to have trouble turning above a certain speed and those cars get you up to that speed so quickly you may not even notice how fast you are going until you are in the corner. Understeer is absolutely a thing but I have a feeling a few people are experiencing this same thing with every car in the S class. Watch your speedo and try the same corner at the same speed with a car from each class and see what you learn. Of course don’t use a drift car or one with negative camber for this experiment.

Along with the AWD mentioned above they are also mid-engined having more weight towards the rear gives the closest wheels, that being the rear set, more grip, ideal for RWD. That’s why you may find that Porsche’s have almost perfect balance in under and oversteer depending on where you put your foot down as they are rear-engined RWD, placing all weight on the driven wheels.