An important message to Turn 10 regarding car sounds of FM2023

Yeah, true. We all agree with that. Had they released the game with time and care it wouldn’t have been in shambles by now. It was entirely rushed.

Voted! Amazing work man. It’s really frustrating to see this in the game and I hope it gets fixed. They should address this asap.

I don’t think it was rushed.
I think it was mismanaged.
Launching 6 years after FM7’s release doesn’t seem like a rush to me.

8 Likes

Right on

This particular reverb was completely unnecessary, I don’t get it. Why do they have to throw lot of reverb on all the cars? They could have kept it a decent level which wouldn’t seem like it was recorded in baththub. And another worst part is engine sound being sooooo wrong, synthesized and compressed. With all that combined creates a total abomination.

1 Like

I voted for both. :+1:
Let us know if you have to re-post it again. :laughing:

2 Likes

Voted

I would like to know how they’re creating these sounds. GT7 has a video on how they create their engine sounds. PGG was transparent as to why some cars sounded off in FH3 (which didn’t help the sound teams case but still). They showed us how they captured sound in FH4 (again, didn’t help their case, but FH5 sounds so much better now that it was brought to light).

I guess like the rest of the elements of the game that are lacking, transparency is too much to ask.

I really hope that someone at the top is doing their research as to what makes a successful game. Success leaves clues. NFS hot pursuit reboot had burnout physics with good sounds and it was a hit. FM4 didn’t have laser scanned tracks, or FM5-6 physics, but it had great car sounds and that drew me in from GT. Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Lemans Ultimate etc. etc.

Thing is is that there’s so much wrong with this game that the sound is going to be one of the last things that gets fixed.

Who wants to drive the Apollo I.E.? No one, and it’s not because the car is terrible to drive either. There are a lot of cars that don’t get love because the cars are poorly synthesized like people aren’t going to notice what the car is supposed to sound like. Sound is a big part of car culture. Getting it wrong as many times as they have tells me that they’re not car people in the slightest bit.

Only in Forza can you find all of the best sounding cars IRL only to find out that it was all too much tease once you rev it for the first time. It just doesn’t make sense. This game is all over the place. Right cars, wrong sounds. It’s not the 90’s/early 2000’s anymore.

They should just go back to FM6’s method and stay there until they’re 100% sure that they can make cockpit audio sound good without compromising chase cam audio like what happened with FM7/FH4.

6 Likes

They did? That’s fantastic!!

They need to immediately add the P1 GTR and especially the 918. Those sound downright dreadful. Can you get the word out?

2 Likes

Do me a favour mate - just revisit Assetto Corsa UE to hear all the cars or Project Cars 1 & 2 or ANY of the Dirt/Dirt Rally games…

It sounds like they did their research and made the cars sound almost entirely like their RL counterparts. That’s passion. That’s determination.

T10 having their budget backed by MS cannot give us any excuses whatsoever. The car sound is in an embarrassing state right now and deserves the utmost attention.

5 Likes

FM6 - that’s one of their best-sounding Motorsport games ever. Yesterday, I was listening to cars from FM1-4 - dear God, even those are far better than 2023’s Motorsport sounds!

7 Likes

Yeah, you can check it out here

Additionally they also bug-logged the F430 Scuderia and Murcielago SV

Sure, I think I will create two more threads of these 2 cars separately once I am done analyzing. Hence I take some time before posting. The idea is to give them enough information about how wrong or inaccurate it sounds and how it actually really sounds in real life. Even the cars I have driven during Ringer Tour(The featured cars that is) are all…worst sounding as well :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

Turn10 needs to have that kind of determination and passion because without that you cannot love a car entirely.

They heal our ears. For real :relieved: Some links to bless our ears.

2 Likes

This is where Turn 10 should get back again. You can see the amount of dedication in this video. Hence the masterpiece was born, Forza Motorsport 4.

I had to mute the car sounds in game trust me. It’s just unbearable :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wonderful news, thanks for taking the time to post this! The F430S sounds horrid and I’ve heard the same of the Murceilago although haven’t driven it yet in the game.

I know you will do your research and all, but Assetto Corsa has incredibly accurate sounds for both the P1s and the 918. Even PCARS2 does. With the P1s in particular I hope they get that mechanical/metallic sound right and the loud blow-off valve sound finally gets modelled. That’s always been missing.

3 Likes

Motorsport 4 was no doubt the height of the franchise. Best. Hands down.

3 Likes

Created two threads on P1 GTR and 918 as well as updated threads on F355, Cayman GT4 RS and F360CS providing actual car audio samples.

https://forums.forza.net/t/cars-porsche-918-spyder-2014-inaccurate-engine-audio/676374

Hope these gets bug-logged soon. In update 6.0 the game felt a lot more smoother, the newly added musics are pretty good at least. No car audio updates this patch which I was really hoping for. But lets hope for some car audio updates in update 7.

1 Like

I think you guys should look into how large uncompressed sound files are and maybe it will give a bit of clarity why theres so many shared and inaccurate sounds. Im not saying they shouldn’t do a better job but there will likely never be a time where every car in a game with over 500 cars will be accurate.

They have appeased people here or there over the years by updating certain cars but those updates often revert with the next installment.

3 Likes

The fact that they had 6 years of development time and only results in 200 sound files for 500 cars is something I cannot digest. Shared and inaccurate :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Development time doesnt matter in this case, the file sizes are the issue. They know the sounds are inaccurate and they know how to make them accurate which is why sometimes theyll change them when enough people make a stink of them. But its not feasible every car will change theres just too many.

1 Like

Well, they should prioritize on the ones they are bug-logging and release the sound update on every patch release, maybe 3-4 cars per patch? I was expecting in update 6.0 to have at least one of the bug-logged cars from my posts getting fixed.

2 Likes

Compressing a good .wav 24/96k+ sound file doesn’t do much to the quality of the sound, that’s not the problem. If the sound source is good you can play it through a telephone and it will sound accurate. FM6 was a much smaller game, and I wouldn’t complain if they went in that direction.

Shared sounds across shared engines isn’t a problem, it saves time and space, and it’s accurate.

I don’t know how they’re designing these sounds, but someone has some explaining to do as to why just about everything that’s known for sounding good is in another zip code.

You could say “Dolby atmos” and “windows sonic” but that’s an oxymoron. Why would anyone want to hear the wrong sound in more detail?

Like the car modeling flaws of this game they probably just threw a sound together on the synthesizer program and thought “no one’s going to notice/care”.

“Best sounding Forza ever, built from the ground up”. Every car advertised during the campaign sounded right. I really think they’re still figuring out how sound is made in an ICE. They need manufacturer’s help.

5 Likes

The VQ37 engine swap sounds atrocious. Like some kind of weird combination of a vacuum cleaner and an air compressor. Nothing at all like the VQ37 and dare I say not even like any V6 I’ve ever heard. It’s no raspy trumpet like it should be.

2 Likes