An important message to Turn 10 regarding car sounds of FM2023

I have been wanting to say this for a long time and after reading thousands of comments from the members in the community I think it is the right time that I speak about this issues in broader details. The game has lots of other issues to talk about but I will be taking on the issue of car sounds/audio only because it is one of the most important factor of a car. All right I am serious now and I want Turn 10 to see this so hear me out please.

All the cars in FM2023 sound downright terrible and horrible to the core. The sounds are compressed, synthesized, computerized, metallic, reverby as if it was recorded in hall or bathroom, and so much inaccurate. Turbo spools, Supercharger whines are also missing in cars which are meant to have in certain cars. Itā€™s like the cars got no souls at all and these just pisses me off every time I drive any car on the track. I am tired of posting about every single car sounding worst and inaccurate all the time, in fact we all do and it is impossible to post about every single car audio issue. On a serious note, this is becoming cumbersome and annoying. None of the car audio match with their real life counterparts. Like seriously Turn 10. What happened? Do you remember Forza Motorsport 4 which had accurate and amazing cars sounds, glorious menu soundtracks, Autovista engine startup and many exciting features such as Top Gear contents?? Forza Motorsport 4 had a soul, I repeat FM4 had a soul. The soul which all the Forza fans still admire and cherish to this day including me. We revisit this game over and over again just to appreciate the masterpiece you gave it to us back then. It is beyond words to explain how truly a great piece of art Forza Motorsport 4 was. We felt every ounce of emotion in that game. But FM2023 feels nothing but vacuum, shallow, emotionless and empty.

I am extremely disappointed in how all the cars sound in FM2023, like for real. We all want that glory which Forza had 13 years ago. I appreciate you guys are working hard to fix the game with all the issues posted. But this is just to let you know that we are all car guys here and we want to hear realistic car sounds. Just please give the cars their respective and rightful sounds, like take the car sound from the original source without applying any artificial effects, overdone sound mixings, compressions so they sound accurate, pure and raw just like how FM4 and FM6 was, that way we can enjoy the game without getting annoyed or bothered while driving in the game. I have posted a lot of issues on car sounds and I am glad they are bug-logged and hoping to see them get fixed soon, canā€™t wait for that. Thank you once again for fixing the sound of Lexus LFA. Therefore, please take the issue of Car audio/sound seriously.

I hope you will understand. Thank you

@T10ManteoMax

38 Likes

Not all of them are bad, just the majority of them.

There are certain affects that actually work in this installment like how if you upgrade the air intake in certain rides you can notice that the car is sucking in more air, also when upgrading the drivetrain you get audible chirping from the tyres when changing gear.

A good example of a nice sounding car is the Saleen S7. Take it out stock and slowly build it up with parts until you unlock the aspiration, then throw a turbo stage 1 and drive it, then go through the other stages.

Iā€™m hoping that those rides that sound absolutely disgusting do get a makeover down the track, only problem being that some might enjoy the sound as it is now and then it gets a makeover and those players will come here andā€¦ you get the picture.

The overall sound in the game from vehicles to the contact on certain surfaces and the wind are not consistent, neither is the race transmission in certain rides, some are good as the race trans doesnā€™t overwhelm the engine noise but then others itā€™s way over the top. If only there was extra choices in the UI where you could choose how much whine you get from the trans or diff, and others for the turbo intake and blow off valve/ supercharger sounds.

Sure itā€™s in the SHUB and have voted before, just like the other really needed choice of being able to adjust the seating position.

3 Likes

Absolutely, they really need to get a makeover for real. Except for some cars which do sound good. Itā€™s the majority ones that are concerning. There are so many stuffs to fix in this game.

1 Like

Right on.

They expect us to create a new post for every single sound which is incorrect or off. What if ALL the Porsches or McLarens in the game sound bad? Which is 100% the case btw

Do they expect us to create a post for every single car? That sounds really silly and seems lazy of them. How about they QA their own product?

When FM 7 dropped, the car sounds were borderline bad. You could barely hear them and the environment was unusually loud. There were also many wrong samples in the game along with sample sharing. Someone dug up the sound files on PC and discovered that not even 50% of the car roster had authentic sounds. Same with FM23 - in the sound files folder on PC youā€™ll find that there are less than 200 sound files for 500+ cars.

We were lied to plain and simple, and sound was a part of this ā€˜package of liesā€™.

Now they did improve FM 7 steadily and in the end it turned outā€¦ Wellā€¦ Much, much better than the sounds on launch. Every car has a unique character and they sound reasonably powerful and desirableā€¦ Unlike the weak, droney and reverby sounds we have now.

Iā€™m still willing to overlook these serious shortcomings if they take the initiative to start improving car sounds, 5 at a time, 10 at a time - heck, 1-2 at a time, whatever works. But all the sounds that people HAVE at least pointed out in threads need to be worked on straight away. Votes should be irrelevant - a bad car sound is a bad car sound and the real cars deserve justice.

I just hate the half baked stuff we were given last year. Hate it. Itā€™s depressing.

2 Likes

Sound overhauling definitely needed. One car at a time. People have already created car specific threads and those have been gaining votes and comments for months but nothings changedā€¦Iā€™m looking at you McLaren P1 and P1 GTR or all the modern McLarens for that matter or the modern Porsches especiallyā€¦ 918 and Careers GTā€¦eekh!

5 Likes

I hope no one complains if the Acura Integra gets its sound replaced. If someone does complain, then we need to petition for a down vote option on this forum.

1 Like

Fun fact.
We are a lot in love with that ā€œbefore fm5 eraā€ and we want it back.

First horizon was launched between FM4 and FM5 if iā€™m not wrong. Even if that 5th titles have probably good things too, itā€™s also where peoples started to be disapointed more and more.

Thatā€™s just look like if they had taken a part of the soul of that FM4 era, removed it of the future titles, for create horizon.

I havenā€™t played first horizon so canā€™t say things about it. But if i look of what is it today. It donā€™t find on at all the part of the soul FM4 had.

So FM now is lacking of content, originality, diversity. You can find some of those who is lacked on FH. But FH isnā€™t it at all.

Driving on that FM feel really good, if i compare it to FH, huh, FH feel so bad.
The map on FH is sooo little, you enjoy the first 3 month of the game, and finally, what you do on it ? Theyā€™re no content, itā€™s lack of racing.

Old FM had roads tracks, had sprint. FH have, but itā€™s not worth and not on the quality of old FM at all.

Now that game have no soul, it doesnā€™t look like FM, it look like ā€œthe Xbox simcade who try to compet against GT on PSā€
Why this game need to compet against GT ? Thatā€™s a reason who make them fail on making a good game too for me.

It doesnā€™t need competition, it need his own identity, that identity who is going to say to car enthusiast, driver, racer ā€œhey look at me, look at what i doā€

What this game does now ? Nothing. It just have this good driving for his own. But where the content ? Where the diversity ? The old features ?

This game is supposed to be a sandbox, who attract a tons and differents players, more casual, more hardcore one, racers, drivers, drifters etc etc.

What we got ? A niche game focused on circuit/licensed tracks, the only worth thing to do is to sit on MP, and even on this part, it lack of contents.

They made a focused circuit tracks. And now forza exclusive tracks are circuit tracks too. No roads tracks, city tracks.

They loose players because of their own poor decisions. Isnā€™t a franchise like FM is supposed to make money ? To be a ā€œfar productā€ ? To attract players ?

ā€œBring back FM 4ā€ we can ear that eccho for years, thatā€™s where the success is.

Thatā€™s where the game need to be build from, and not from the ground up.

6 Likes

Theyā€™re closing sound related threads and want ā€˜specificā€™ threads, Iā€™m guessing for each car.

They just closed my thread where I called them out on using the same sound for the 360CS and 355:

So now Iā€™ll create a thread for the 355 and one for the 360CS, great idea.

Hereā€™s an ideaā€¦how about listening to how cars sound in real life or YouTube or even in FH5 then listening to the garbage youā€™ve put in to this game?
Or what about using the great sound files you had in previous titles for this one?

Sorry for coming across abrasive but Iā€™m a little cheesed off about the thread being closed. Itā€™s like a tactic to keep changing the goal posts so they can ignore the issues.

8 Likes

The Cayman GT4RS have the sound of a V8 when it has a Flat 6 IRL

3 Likes

Youā€™re forgetting weā€™re the testers and our job is to highlight specific defects that the next wave of new devs can work on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now get back to work

8 Likes

Absolutely I am 100% with you. I feel like on every update they should give 5-10 cars a justice through sound update. Just like the way they did for the Lexus LFA.

This needs to be preached. I have been saying this all the time. Every car has their unique characteristics defined by their engine sound. Turn 10 really really need to look into the issue of car sound/audio immediately otherwise driving will always be a nuisance in this game.

2 Likes

They added the McLaren P1 and Porsche Carrera GT in their Bug-logged list. On every post which I created or on someoneā€™s post regarding car sounds I always tried to provide real car audio samples. Now all we gotta do is wait and see what happens as there are lot more other cars waiting to get their sound fixed and or to be added in the bug-logged list. Updating 5-10 cars at a time will be sufficient to get this game back on track I guess through the sound update. I really hope things go well.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Their previous success should be the ground where they should build the game upon because that created a legacy. Honestly I played FH1, FH2, FH4, FH5. In horizon series I find FH1 &FH2 amazing and then FH4(except for the horrible car sound though). FH5ā€¦well after few weeks the game starts to feel bland and itā€™s just you and your car driving on the roadā€¦alone. The races donā€™t feel engaging anymore, the contents lack the energy, and every single update itā€™s just cars and cars. The car sounds areā€¦well if I say sounds like a blender or trumpet or mosquito then it would define the FH5 car sounds. The previous horizon series had more fun and thrilling contents, not to forget the amazing car sounds and magnificent map and graphics.

As for the motorsports series, FM4 was the peak and will remain as the king. This has defined and shaped Forza and it still does. Ever since they released FM5 and onwards the spirit just vanished and the game does not feel like Forza anymore, itā€™s now more like a game trying to catch up to GT. We players donā€™t want that at all. We want the glory of Forza back again. I seriously want Turn 10 to return to that ground of FM4 again.

3 Likes

For real, I had to mute the sound in the game and drove with no car sound.

2 Likes

Hopefully that means they are trying to keep better track of the sound issuesā€¦

Wellā€¦ Maybe keep bettet track of the complaints about car sounds. Iā€™ve given up on understanding how some things are handled on the forums.

2 Likes

Someone compiled a detailed list of every wheel and their respective paint bugs. For each wheel. Hundreds of them. The post was locked and the OP was told to make threads for each one.

Itā€™s really sad that the developers are telling us they wonā€™t even consider looking into, let alone fixing the bugs in their own game unless we report each and every single one individually in a specific way on the forums.

So yeah. Complain all you want. They wonā€™t even look at the sound issues until you make a forum post for each and every individual issue. Then even if you do all that, itā€™s at their discretion whether or not they want to address it.

It should be criminal. 150% relying on and forcing the customer to perform labor for them without compensation if the customer so desires a working product.

Anyways if you give free labor, it may or may not get fixed. The choice is yours, have fun if you do.

7 Likes

Well thats entirely upto them to address the issues or not. If they care about us and the game then they must and should fix it. The car sounds are just disgusting and I want Turn10 to see the amount of disappointment and dissatisfaction growing every single day.

This has become extremely exhausting. Just check how many issues I have posted about inaccurate car sounds. Yet thereā€™s loads of them sounding wrong. The community members are becoming tired as well. I think there might be other efficient ways of solving this issue which can benefit both the developers for tracking, bug-logging and fixing and us the members who are analyzing and posting making it less cumbersome and annoying.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll just see myself out.

Edit: I know why the sounds all sound like they were recorded in a bathtub nowā€¦

CONVOLUTION REVERB BOYS :face_exhaling:. Itā€™s like ā€œyeah, we know about early reflections, and how the human brain perceives and directionalizes sound in a space, but we need moreā€¦ Letā€™s add some convolution to the mix!ā€

Where on Gods green earth does ANY exhaust sound sound ā€œconvolutedā€?

Convolution is a sound design effect that should only be used for movie fx and pop music. NOT a racing game unless itā€™s like Need for Speed Unbound where fx are a thing.

Also, ā€œbuilt from the ground upā€ was used by every director in the developer direct video. I guess that was the campaign slogan that overlayed the hidden agenda to anger every gear head with access to a smart phone in this day and age. Way. To. Go.

2 Likes

If they cared about us & the game, they would not have sold it in such bad condition, & it wouldnā€™t still be in such bad condition 5 months post-launch.

3 Likes

Made a new one here not too long ago, also with a link to the old one included

The only thing that really frustrates me about the old thread closing are the votes lost :melting_face: I just try to shove a link wherever itā€™s appropriate to put it since not many people outside of this forum look at the Troubleshooting Hub, let alone vote. Whether or not voting for something actually means anything is a whole other discussion, but having some votes is better than none.

When it comes to dealing with car sounds, I would expect some more difficulty in getting those addressed than the paint bugs for rims. I wish the best of luck to those making posts in the Troubleshooting Hub about the car soundsā€¦

3 Likes