Think FH5 Online Drifting Kinda Sucks?

Hello fellow Forzaites, PDDrifter here!

I come to you today with a question:

Have you ever thought that the current state of online drifting (Open Drifting) is getting a little repetitive/boring?

Would you like to try something new? A fresh challenge for car and driver? A brand new way to enjoy drifting??

I know I do.

That is why I created this topic. I would like the community’s opinion of what we think would be a fun new addition to online drifting!

If you have any ideas for a new online drift mode, it would be awesome if you could share it here on this thread! I love FH5 and I want to make the game even better, especially when FH5 offers such an great opportunity to make drifting/oversteer more mainstream than the flagship Forza Motorsport title!

I have my own suggestion for a new online mode I’d like to contribute as well to get things started! LMK if ya :+1: or :-1: and please share your own ideas on this thread so we can inspire the devs to make FH6 even better in the future!!! :smile_cat:
_

My suggestion for a new Online Drift Mode is what I like to call; “HOT DRIFTING”!

I got my inspiration for the name/idea by watching old “Hot Version” videos. I have always been a fan of the Japanese style of drifting seen in Hot Version.

Here’s how it would work:

Classes would be split much like the current mode: A/S/S2. Classes would also be split by AWD/RWD much like the current “Open Drifting” mode.

It’s basically a race for drifters which consists of two different sections; a “speed” section and a “drift” section.

In the “speed” section, drifters would race as fast as possible and take advantage of their drift car’s available grip.

In the “drift” section, drifters would have to well…drift! They would be required to drift the entire way through the whole “drift section” and failure to keep a drift going would cause a time penalty.

The driver who finishes with the best time after penalties are calculated would be the winner of the race!
_

My main gripe about “Open Drifting” as it is now:

My issue is the current mode really doesn’t incorporate “speed” in the calculation. When in online drifting, you spend the majority of your time drifting down long straights at 35-55mph trying to maximize your points which isn’t much fun in my opinion.

This new mode I’m suggesting WOULD NOT use points as a factor, but rather how fast you can drive & drift.

In my opinion, this would be a much more fast-paced and fun way to test your car, driving skills, as well as encourage tuners to build machines to push the limit of grip & drift.
_

A little bit of extra rambling about drifting:

For those who don’t know, there are two different styles of drifting:

1. The EU/US style which requires allot of power with little grip in order to power-slide through corners.
  2. The Japanese style which requires a lightweight car and grippy tires in order to dive-bomb into a corner using drift and momentum to slow down and make a corner.

The current “Open Drifting” mode is more favorable for the EU/US way of drifting, but I would like a drifting mode that more favors the Japanese style of drifting. I feel “Hot Drifting” would satisfy that urge.

Please let me know what ya’ll think!

Regards,
-PDD

6 Likes

Pretty Cool Thread and I love online drifting as well. What we like to do is host friendly competitions in discord with build specifics and then we can post and list scores from the set specifics. For example, a certain type and class like s1 super gt. Even just banning metas and competing that way is a great way to help keep open drifting fresh as well as a friendly competition.

1 Like

Back in my day we’d tandem drift in three dimensions.

Kids these days its all about the speed and angle… wheres the height ???

4 Likes

@WindsweptDragon Lololol :rofl:

Hoonigan-Style drift ramps are always an option :wink:Hoon 7 Drift Ramp NYC

@Oliver0023 I’d definitely be behind banning meta as an option, but when classes get too specific like when ya narrow it down to certain car types, the mode tends to die from lack of players.

I’m hoping to come up with a more broad “Open Drifting” mode to keep it active and well populated.

Otherwise, fantastic suggestions/input and thanks a ton for the support!!:v::smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
i have never before writen anything here, so this a first for me.
Reason being, i also kinda hate FH5 online racing as a whole, but i love the game and have been a five a long time.
Its just not fun anymore.

drifting wise, i think what forza needs now, is to split AWD drift and RWD into different categories. becouse as an authentic RWD drifter, i get spanked everytime by some bmw isseta AWD meta car, while taking the 1st of rwd drivers. And that kinde takes out all the fun of it. If forza did that, that alone would be a big step up.
Next thing would probably be just simple open drift tracks, like joinable sessions with or withou time limit. And finaly drift sprints. where are the drift sprints???

But yeah this is a good thread and I hope it grows into fh5 itself.

6 Likes

Thanks for the input! Appreciate ya getting on here for the first time to reply to my topic!!! :grin:

I 100% agree with ya. I am a RWD purist myself and for Horizon 1-3, RWD has been able to compete with AWD cars for the most part in online racing.

There’s nothing quite like the feeling of beating a AWD car in your A-Class RWD AE86 in online racing! :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But since Horizon 4-5, RWD has been put at a severe disadvantage compared to the tuning capabilities of AWD cars, which is made worse by the fact you can make almost any car AWD nowadays…

I’m totally for segregating Open Racing into “RWD and AWD” modes rather than the current “Custom Racing”. The current FH5 Custom mode splits players into B/A/S1/S2 and is not fun (in my opinion) due to either the lack of players online or the typically redicilous level of players who are. AWD Try-Hards in these modes make me question why there isn’t a better pro ranking system.

I would use the “Pro Ranking” mode in Open Racing but when you do play this mode, you spend much more time waiting rather than racing.

If you’re not waiting for a big enough group of players to join the lobby, you’re also biting your tung seeing if they even stay in the lobby (otherwise the ranked game won’t start). THEN, it kicks everyone out after the ranked match you finally managed to get in is over, so now you have to repeat the process.

In my opinion, Horizon Open leaves much to be desired.

1 Like

Filters for different classes and RWD/AWD would bring so many players back

5 Likes

Yeah, but they wouldn’t stick around… they’re drifters, after all.

1 Like

splitting AWD and RWD needs to happen. hate watching issettas and willys bounce off the walls while putting up 700k+ while the rest of us can barely get 400k.

id like to see some of the sprint tracks be used for drift races.
some drifting obstacle course type races
some offroad drift races

5 Likes

Yes they %100 would , considering they wouldnt be stopped by tryhards using broken builds

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who showed an in interest in this topic! <(^.^)^

It’s nice to see that recently the custom races have more players than FH4, but I agree that the game needs to separate AWD/RWD.

As much as it pains me to admit, there is a clear advantage in RWD Vs AWD. In order to make drifting as well as racing more balanced, classes need to be divided by drivetrain.

RWD is too much fun to be neglected by Forza Horizon, a game that emphasizes fun over track “sim”.

Horizon, to me, had always been about enjoying driving without the hard-core limitations of Forza Motorsport. When all the fastest cars are all AWD converted it disrupts the balance, in my opinion atleast.

I am hopeful our feedback will reach the awesome devs at Turn 10, so keep ur feedback coming! :grin:

1 Like

The pun apparently flew over your head. On the off chance that English isn’t your first language:

I’m leveraging definition 2 here. “A person who goes from place to place, job to job, etc., remaining in each for a short period.”

@ Ti_Hsien, I C what u mean. TROLOLOL

This is a serious discussion for me though.

The reason it “flew over my head” is I take this subject as well as drifting in FH very seriously. I Love FH and I am advocating for changes that would make the game better, for my experience as well as everyone else’s.

Appreciate ya responding to my topic tho! :grin:

That wasn’t a reply to you, though you may have missed the pun, too. :wink:

Replies to a specific person are typically noted in the upper right of the post.

Improvements to drifting (and competitive events in general) have been called for with some frequency since launch. I’m generally not a fan of drifting, but I would be more interested in a drift event of the style you propose. It reminds me of Ridge Racer.

1 Like

Lol , I see what you mean now

1 Like

Bump :3

I think adding lower classes “C & B” would make drifting more inclusive.

Also not being confined in circuits adds variety of routes.

Removing the walls would add some fun like Drift-Run in the Arcade. This means that the drift championship events could be placed on any street or even dirt road.

Bump for what?

Go to the suggestion hub and search for the drifting threads and upvote

1 Like

Bump,

Sorry, I don’t understand. I’m discussing a topic about my favorite videogame. I want other people’s opinions. Is it against the rules to do that Mr. mod? I haven’t posted regularly on forums for a while so please, educate me. =D