The Max Verstappen Effect

In between the Builders Cup crashing a lot, I’ve noticed something that whilst not huge, is pretty annoying.

In any given race, there is one AI car that is significantly faster than any other.

I’m talking 1-2 seconds a lap quicker. I’ll call it the Max Verstappen effect.

I can easily grab second place, but to get first place requires another second or more to finish first.

I’m finding most races are a lonely drive with a car way ahead and a bunch of cars 1-3 seconds behind.

Does that reflect real racing? I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Could you please add this information here?

This type of race occurs naturally in both the online lobbies of this game and in the real world. It’s funny that you actually referenced the real world effect in the title.

2 Likes

Sounds like classic M. Rossi to me.

5 Likes

M. Rossi would race you somewhat fairly, though. The Drivatar AI they’ve used since Motorsport 5 has been horrid, with the exception of Turn 10 mostly patching it right with Motorsport 6.

This triggered PTSD that I didn’t know I had.

I thought this was going to be in reference to online behavior where folks running deep into turns expect you to give them room or they’ll take you out.

3 Likes

Ahh, I see you haven’t ventured into the Online Multiplayer yet because this absolutely reflects both real life racing and online racing.

I just did a race and the leaders best lap was 2.34.024 (edited) at Spa.

I’m in 2nd with 2.37.773.

That’s a difference of 3.749 seconds PER LAP, or 14.996 seconds over a 4 lap race.

Please show me ANY real world example of that gargantuan a difference in a race in ANY series.

I’ll wait.

What class/car was this and presumably you meant 2.34?

Sorry, you’re correct, 2.34. I’ll edit it.

I’ve seen plenty of F1 races where the lead was well over 30 secs by the end.

Hi Checo,

Nice to see you here in the forums :wink:

1 Like

Oh, I thought the thread was going to talk about the decline in racing etiquette online over the last decade.

But yes, the driver AI has had broken rubber-banding since the introduction of ‘drivatars’. I can’t believe they haven’t updated it at all since. My favourite is when the AI brakes going out of a corner if you’re too close to them. Brilliant.

1 Like