Sunset Peninsula Raceway hype!

The Sunset Peninsula race track is coming back in october as recently revealed by Turn 10!
This track is OG and hasn’t been seen since Forza Motorsport 4. Five ribbons will be available, making it a viable destination for all classes and categories.

Now this track came as a bit of a surprise and wasn’t particularly requested by the community (as far as I know) but based on my online racing history, I feel it may prove to be pretty amazing. Check this FM4 video (not my personal channel):

Similar to Hakone GP and Daytona, this is the kind of track that pretty much guarantees close racing because there’s a lot of flatout portions and it’s difficult to make a gap, especially in single-model racing.

Beyond that, I think this track has the potential to soothe the veterans of the franchise by bringing back something they enjoyed over a gad dang decade ago :smiling_face_with_tear: Having said that, we don’t know if the “new” version will be similar to the OG one.

But what do I know? What’s your opinion on the return of Sunset Peninsula in Forza Motorsport?

9 Likes

I never played it and I am not hyped at all, because it’s a stadium track and I don’t like stadium tracks.

I wonder where all the city circuits are. Why there aren’t any? They don’t have the rights to put them in the game anymore or what is it?

5 Likes

Hello @X3R_Monkey . Please add videos of other layouts as well.

1 Like

The only reason I can think of is that city tracks might be a struggle to get working with the new physics model. When the game launched they mentioned they had to redo all of the track surfaces because the old format of tracks resulted in bouncing with the new physics.
With street circuits generally being more bumpy, they might still run into this issue?

As there is no feedback on why street circuits are missing, this is pure speculation.

As for me, I don’t really like oval-racing tracks, just not my vibe. What doesn’t help is that the classes that actually race on them aren’t represented in the game at all.
I would love to see the return of street-circuit in the game.

4 Likes

Wondering what the 5 layouts are. And if this track gets 2 counter clockwise versions, I’m going to wonder why the same can’t be added to Maple Valley? Sorry… I mean Mobile 1 Maple Valley.

Yeah, that’s the interesting part. This track has less votes than Portimao (273 vs 437) which Chris Esaki specifically mentioned as content that’s not coming because not enough players request it. So I hope it’s not the last time when T10 ignores the SHub for sake of bringing less known tracks that the community would appreciate :wink:

As for me, I played FM4 a lot and I perceive the Sunset Peninsula as a very generic and forgettable track (and not fitting FM23 very well… so many oval tracks for a game that has basically zero cars for oval racing). But I’m fine with it if players are so happy to have it back :slight_smile:

Some time ago I’ve read an article wrote by a game developer (responsible for Project CARS or Automobilista, can’t remember now) who stated that city tracks are much harder to make than we think, with complex environment consisting of so many buildings that need to be meticulously recreated by hand. He even went as far as to suggest that Monaco is a bigger challenge than Nordschleife which is basically just “a long tunnel with trees”. I wish I could remember where I read that…

4 Likes

Hello @Wilko_Jones . They already revealed some of the layouts that are coming for sunset peninsula:
club circuit, the 2.44-mile tri-oval and the 2.78-mile full circuit, which combines the oval with technical, yet flat infield sections.

This is the problem in a nutshell. chris says it’s not coming because it doesn’t get any votes, then they go ahead and add whatever track THEY had planned ignoring the votes which clearly have other tracks much more requested than the one they add. They are not listening and voting for tracks means zero to whether they make it into the game. This point has been reinforced over and over since launch.

4 Likes

Other layouts:

I am not enthused by the layouts either, just like Hakone, I just believe it should provide close/great racing., which in my mind makes up for it. Time will tell :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Can’t say I particularly recall this track from the old games. Has a bit of a similar feel to Indianapolis Grand Prix, having watched the main circuit video? Will be nice to have a circuit I don’t know by heart (will be interesting if it rings a bell first time I drive it) but a shame that they couldn’t double up and have this track and a real one for the anniversary.

1 Like

Hello. Thank you; i already know the layouts.

Sunset wasnt a bad track, but i think Sedona was the better of the 2 fantasy stadium tracks, it also had a drag strip. Im always for more tracks but sunset peninsula is a very odd choice. Maybe it was chosen because of how simple it is, but it certainly wasnt a fan favorite. It was basically a knock off daytona, but we have that already.

7 Likes

Voting doesnt do anything, its merely a ploy to have people think they have a say. The added tracks, including sunset peninsula were planned long ago. I think it would be better if they had a list of viable tracks that could be added and then let people vote on it. I think if votes mattered this wouldve been the way it would have been done because its not feasible that any track could be added to the game.

3 Likes

They’re clearly only focusing on racing circuits and not street tracks, that seems to be for Horizon. I can see the logic in it

I requested it, haha. But honestly I would have preferred a real track like Interlagos.

No Mount Panorama because as we all know therer’s huge section of the track where you cannot overtake without causing carnage.

Street circuits are racing circuits.

5 Likes

In October… The remaining 500 players will be thrilled. I don’t want to troll here, but I did three races yesterday and the remaining community has become so toxic that I’m sure I won’t start playing Forza again until October. They’ve really cultivated a fantastic community, featuring the so-called penalty system. These players don’t care at all. They just shoot you off the track and still drive into the top 5 with their 4-6 second penalties.
In two races yesterday I was one of only two players who didn’t have a penalty. Really great, a serious racing game, unlike Horizon. Sarcasm off.

edit: The bad thing is that Forza is now technically somewhat functional. OK, I can’t create tunings without others being deleted and I can’t share/download any more either. But it’s still pretty fun to drive. My heart bleeds and I don’t understand how someone can drive a fan favorite into the ground like that. They have enough input, I wrote my fingers to the bone at the beginning. They just don’t listen and prefer to feature toxic “fun” drivers who laugh at you afterwards and write that you shouldn’t take it so seriously.

2 Likes

Rights are probably part of it, city tracks also have a lot of work required to make them look good, accurate and they might be more demanding on the hardware.

I’m not sure how popular city tracks were anyway and I think they wouldn’t be the best online (which might affect if Turn 10 includes them). Macau would be pure chaos.

1 Like

The majority of ppl play Singleplayer so MP shouldn’t be the problem.

I can’t wait! Neither can my speed tunes. Or probably an NSX…

1 Like