Proximity radar

Forza motorsport 7 had proximity arrows to estimate the distance between you and your opponents. The problem is that they are too approximate, so you still have to rely on your immagination and guess the distance.

A proximity radar would be significantly easier to read and thus help reduce the chance of collisions, especially for new players

Honestly, i think I’d prefer the arrows. Maybe a good compromise would be to choose between both. Maybe we could choose between arrows, radar, arrows and radar, and neither.

5 Likes

Upvoted for the concept, but not supportive of either radar off to the side/corner/bottom of the screen, or old-style arrows. In either case it’s too far away to monitor while racing close, and in the case of arrows nearly impossible to interpret distance to other cars.

Something semi transparent and right in the field of view works well (as some other games have implemented), that appears/disappears as required.

Most importantly though; this should be in conjunction with a voice-over spotter, it’s standard for sim-racing titles now and by far the best way to know what’s happening around you (so you’ll be told ‘someone on your left’… ‘all clear’… etc). I recommend you upvote that spotter suggestion, as proximity radar comes up in that discussion as well: topic is called ‘A race engineer who verbally feeds you info while you race’.

9 Likes

Agree that it needs to be improved. Those who race in external view (shudder) have an advantage in this respect.

The arrows in F7 were just too random. Seen them showing someone is right on me but actually they are just entering the chicane while I’m leaving it.

A spotter, customisable arrows, radar or a darkening of the edge of the screen might help.

1 Like

Something that we have not yet seen in the videos of the new Forza is the presence of a radar. It would be nice if the option existed. ACC does it very well, it appears just when there are cars nearby, it also notifies you if the left and right are free or if you have a car next to you with a voice command. These options would be nice and it would be possible to enable and disable both the radar and the voice notifications.

1 Like

An helicorsa Radar like in acc

3 Likes

Oh this sounds like a pretty cool idea.

1 Like

Hi thought it would be a good idea to have a proximity sensor on the new game especially for multiplayer like Gran Turismo have got

1 Like

Now that we finally have adjustable FOV, it would be nice to add some common features from other simcades and sims. Expecially a proximity radar similar to GT would be very helpful for people who play in the cockpit view. The same goes for HUD mirrors in cockpit, basically the same mirror you got when using 3rd person view. My optimal FOV is quite low at 30 thanks to my single screen setup and the distance from screen to face. On the one hand i can judge distance on the track correctly but the information i get from my surroundings is basically zero, thats where the radar and the hud mirror would be very helpful.

1 Like

I like the arrows, and used to them from FM7. But the virtual mirror is only available in Hood view, and i also think it should be available in all views.

I made a suggestion about this last year.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have car radar, because in multiplayer when you play in cockpit view, not really know where the others are.
Thx

8 Likes

Agreed. In real life you can turn your head and listen for cars more easily. A radar is necessary to account for these reduced senses.

5 Likes

[edit: ignore below, I mistakenly made a new thread as this one didn’t appear in search for me, my bad. tldr: I want it too]

When driving in any camera view other than Chase, the proximity markers are somewhat inaccurate and don’t adequately inform drivers of cars that are in or near their blindspots.

I would like to suggest the addition of an overhead radar, which could be placed bottom center of the screen.

Here are some examples:

8 Likes

This really needs a spotter. It’s like racing half blind. I have no idea if there’s a car when i’m turning into the apex. Wish Crew Chief works on this, but no.

5 Likes

The current proximity arrows are not sufficent to determine accurate position of opponent vehicles.

A top-down, radar, hud option is desparately needed for cockpit racing. Adding this feature will help facilitate a cleaner multiplayer experience. Custom positioning of this hud element is a bonus.

For reference see Helicorsa or Car Radar implementations for AC.

7 Likes

I agree. Its also an iRacing mod i think. Situationnal awareness is pretty bad in cockpit view at the moment. There is 20 arrows pointing everywhere. Its hard to know where the other cars are exactly.

2 Likes

Personally, I could do without a voice always telling me what’s happening but a radar would be extremely welcome, both in single- and multiplayer. The proximity arrows aren’t fully up to the task.

3 Likes

The proximity arrows are pretty weak and not turned on by default. We really need a radar to help avoid contact.

8 Likes

It would be great if they implemented some type of spotter

Yes ! It needs badly a radar.

2 Likes