Poll: Have you stopped playing FM23?

Have you stopped playing fm if you are unhappy with the state of the game. Please state below what part of the game has put you off. Or equally if your are still playing what’s keeping your interest.

• Yes I’ve given up
  • No I’m continuing to play
0 voters
1 Like

Said no despite still playing because the question is asked in the future tense but answers are present. I am currently playing but will definitely get bored and drop it without major changes needed to actually get some interest from a ton of people I did custom racing with in Forza past.

As for what’s wrong:

CarXP - unrewarding, grindy gameplay that stands between me and actually having fun with a new car

Online lobbies - the PI system does not create good, balanced racing, so most races I spend hotlapping in P1 or P2; class rotation and track selection do not provide me with things I want to do far too often; community is too small for skill-based matchmaking so I still deal with rammers having sat at S 4,99X since being ranked.

9 Likes

Redone to avoid any confusion

Thanks

I want to play but i can’t because I can’t sign in…:sob:

There’s just not that much that can keep me playing tbh. For me there’s literally nothing that grabs me and makes me think "wow I can spend my evening playing this game ". Fortunately there are other racing games that can fill my needs, newest forza is just not it for me atm. Maybe it’ll change in the future but we have a long way to go.

To anyone that has fun playing FM, enjoy! Happy Holidays :blush:

14 Likes

I still play, albeit not as much as at launch. The new physics and wanting to try out and tune every car is what brings me back. The amount of time it takes to do that per car is what keeps pushing me away. Padding game time with the CXP system wasn’t the move. Most of us are gonna put x amount of hours and backburner this when we’re bored for something else or whatever next big release we’re interested in. Making the game require 2000h to achieve all that can be accomplished with it just means a lot of us just simply won’t experience the whole game. How’s that going to help metrics at the end of the day? Why would any of us purchase any DLC down the road if we haven’t even touched 75% of the cars already in the game?

I don’t know, just seems like an odd decision to have it (and way more odd to retain it). I still stand by one of my first posts here, just give us an XP growth boost per driver level. It won’t give everyone what they really want (which is to make parts/levels purchasable), but if you shortened that 2000h to 400-500h over time, maybe people will actually come back and look forward to playing the game again.

8 Likes

Agree I think they can tune the system to work better, rather than just scraping it entirely.

But eh let’s see.

1 Like

I’m still playing, though not very often. Maybe once a week to keep up with the featured tour at this point.

The biggest issue for me, like many others, is the car leveling system. A big part of previous games for me was taking some random car and building it to a certain class, seeing if I can make it competitive. You simply can’t do that in this game. Just to level a car to the point that I can upgrade the tires and suspension takes almost an hour. If I want to, say, take a Miata and put it up to B class I’m spending hours doing effectively nothing.

I’ll second @LsK1128 that we should get a boost to XP per driver level. Maybe a 5% boost every 10 levels. In previous games with the traditional upgrades for credits, you would eventually get to a point where you have enough credits to do as you like, and you didn’t have to grind for anything barring the 10 mil+ CR rare cars. In this game you’re starting from zero every time you get in a new car (of which there are over 500 of). It feels like I’m just starting out and don’t have the credits to upgrade my beginner car, regardless of how much time I’ve put in.

There are plenty of other issues, too many to list, but the way they implemented the leveling system is the one glaring issue that stops me from booting up the game.

4 Likes

It really sucks only being able to upgrade 1-2 cars a day to race online. The bugs, crashes, and completely missing features are infuriating. The MX-5 is my bane of existence. The game p***** me off but I keep coming back. I think I like to be tortured.

2 Likes

I think personally in addition to what you mentioned, that they just lower the cars max level. It would be better if doing 1 series was enough to max your car by the end of it.

And offer more xp. It’s annoying to get the non stock tyre but either haven’t got enough xp, or that’s all you can have and the other upgrades gets removed.

2 Likes

I’m still playing, but with the extreme caveat, the only reason is because this is one of the few car games that has contemporary car models, 2022, 2023, for certain brands. I love classics and older models, too, but it’s nice to jump into car that’s from last year, or this, for better or for worse e.g. Electric Cars.

I suppose this makes me a hypocrite because I criticize the game so much, but I do it because I do believe there can be something fun & unique lurking beneath all of the unpolished mess, but the game may never reach its full potential if we just remain silent.

Like others, I wouldn’t even mind the XP system IF we could earn XP faster and in different ways like we can in Horizon.

T10 also needs to go back to the traditional Driver Level reward system where we can choose from credits, cosmetics or even cars when we reach a new level.

I know some people don’t like being handed something for doing nothing, but the current system is the exact opposite extreme. If you’re awarded something for your time other than an arbitrary number going up, it will motivate you to play, even if it’s not the main reason you play.

Consequently, this is why I maintain the Car Leveling and XP system were not tested, nor made by someone with experience in reward systems and game play loops because this has been a staple in all Forza games, including Horizon, since their inception. Did T10, suddenly forget how to make games?

4 Likes

I bought a ps5 to play gt7 and am happy to have done so. Far more features and flat out just more fun.

10 Likes

Oh I did the opposite traded ps5 for Xbox for forza. We will have to see whether that was a mistake lol

But Gt7 i got fed up with the “always start last” against ai. The Sophy AI is good but it’s only on certain tracks in quick race. Visually it wipes the floor with FM!!

The rewards are crap for the cafe menu (awful Career mode imo) and im not sure it handles on pad as good FM does.

This is my experience your mileage may vary!

5 Likes

I’d say it is possible to simultaneously enjoy a game and be the biggest critic of it at the same time. I feel the same way about Forza.

Forza is unique in that the physics feel great (IMO of course, and I play exclusively on controller) and there’s a wide selection of cars to choose from. With tracks there isn’t as great a variety, compared to other racing games and even previous Forzas, but there’s still some solid picks. Upgrading cars and tuning them for me especially is what keeps me firmly anchored with Forza. I enjoy squeezing every last bit of performance out of a car and taking it racing!

Taking that into consideration, a true assessment of any game has to include flaws, downsides, and design choices that might be considered “questionable”. I do think that Forza, at a very basic and fundamental level, is a great game. But there are lots of issues with it at the moment, and there needs to be a focus on the big issues at hand before moving on to fixing smaller stuff.

6 Likes

I still play. Offline only.

Biggest downfall for me, in my gameplay experience, is AI ramming. This makes me want to turn the game off immediately.

The AI ramming seems most annoying for me in higher car class racing. In the A class and higher, the AI ramming leaves my car off-track or heavily damage* (or both) to the extent that I need to restart every 2 to 4 race events.

Aside from the general annoyance, I feel that this AI behavior has been leading me into worse driving, as a defensive measure. Biggest weird thing is that I now avoid the racing line (where the AI mass together) and try to aim for outside on every corner. I am rammed less on the outside, and even can pull off passes as the AI choke and crash up on each other on the line in a corner.

This kind of “bad” driving helps me complete the race, but it’s not how I drive in ACC or other driving games in the past years.

But I have found that this issue is far less bothersome at lower spec car ratings.

I drive E and D class and the many classic cars (I upgrade only tires, suspension and platform to enable tuning of handling where needed, and avoid engine/performance upgrades). This means that AI cars have far less “dynamic” ability to ram with force great enough to run me off the track or cause damage. The AI cars are slow enough that they don’t spend as much time braking in the wrong places, or crowding up on corners.

I set up “Cup” type single-make events with these cars. The Miata, Fairlady, early RX-7 and Celica. The late 60s and early 70s cars in general. And these cars fit nicely on the many short course layouts.

Plus I can drive in the cockpit view and do OK, and drive more on the racing line, as it should be. If an AI tries to dive-bomb inside and crashes into me… the consequences are minimal at these lower speeds.

And this plays pretty fun (of course, I’m speaking of fun for me). Most often a generally clean (and even close) race, which I practically never am rammed off-track, damage* by ramming, or need to restart… ever really.

If not for the AI handling better at these lower classes, I’m not sure I’d be playing much.

*I changed this word, as the forum software alerted me I am not allowed to use the word “damage” in past tense.

2 Likes

I have both xsx and ps5. I’m sure one day fm will be good.

2 Likes

Plenty of rewards if you do 1 lap of the time trial races. Easy 2 million credits for 5 minutes time.

1 Like

Still playing the weekly/monthly championship series but have yet to qualify for multiplayer!

its getting worse, yesterday couldn’t change fuel or tyres on grid before race(happened on console as m8 had same issue), today multiple momentary screen freeze during MP, 3, yes 3 crashes to desktop :rage: :rage:

I enjoy it bugs and all. Bought a new DD wheel and setup. Multiplayer is extremely frustrating and yet fun, the spec races anyway. Unlike so many here I understand its a cheap fun game not life or death. And it will evolve.