Physics need major improvement

I play with Thrustmaster TX and have the same impressions that way to many cars have not the grip they should have, especially with slicks, bad breaks and often oversteer like hell without proper tuning (and some even with). This bad handling out of the box must be frustrating for beginners. So I don’t think, that this game is made for everyone. But the lap times are still quite comparable to real lap times with the same breaking points and gearing and some drivers beat the real cars with racing professionals by far. The game force you to drive proper or crash.

I think, many people have the impression, that the Lotus F1 is to overpowered. It’s so simple to drive and the lap times are fantastic. In this case I can assure you, it is not. This fast lap of Schumacher in 2004 at Nürburgring GP is about 2 seconds faster than the No. 1 in the Forza leaderboard: F1 Michael Schumacher Onboard Pole Position Lap at Europe (Germany - Nürburgring) 2004 [HD] - YouTube

In 2008 they forbid the traction control, so it’s more difficult to drive F1-Cars nowadays, maybe because it was to easy before.

The Ferrari 312T seems fine too, maybe slightly underpowered. Niki Lauda was driving a 6:58 on the Nordschleife in 1975, but the track was 22,8 km at this time, not 20,8 km which was introduced in 1982. But the 2 km more were just two straight lines with a turn, so it’s like a 6:25 on the track today and only 4 people can beat that time in Forza 5. Many lap times are much better in Forza than in the real cars. The real Pagani Zonda made a 6:47 at Nordschleife, in Forza 5 it’s a 6:24. But it’s a very expensive car and Marc Basseng wasn’t pushing it 100% I think.

So maybe the physics in Forza 5 make driving more difficult, but on the other hand it’s more challenging trying to beat lap times of real racing cars and when you beat them without mistakes, it’s satisfaction.

Some time ago I bought a flight sim and you know what? My ears didn’t pop once!

This is a 60 dollar game on a 500 dollar consul and for most people it’s all controlled with a game pad. I’d say that Forza makes a damn good attempt at simulation. The key to me is the way the cars respond to tuning rather than the way they drive totally stock. 5 is less forgiving when corner entry speed is too high and it forces you to control the throttle exiting a corner as most cars are prone to breaking traction quite easily. I think the game does exactly what it sets out to do and strikes a good balance. Not too difficult or technical but way more challenging than an out and out arcade game.

2 Likes

http://forums.forza.net/turn10_postst17898_Do-you-hate-the-Grip-Physics.aspx