Mini Monday - Club 66 Racing - Mini Prizes

Hi All,

Welcome to my First Event that I will be hosting!

Mini Monday’s

What’s the plan?

Join us on Monday nights from 21:00 GMT for a quick 10 minute qualifying session, before we host a race around 30 minutes on a variety of tracks over the next 6 weeks (skipping Christmas week). Everyone will also have to drop 1 score/race points, so if you cannot make the race on 1st January/or miss another event, this hopefully evens the tables.

What car?

This is a spec build one make series for Pre 1966 Mini Cooper S cars build as close to the specifications of Appendix K (FIA Historic Motorsport Regs).

What is club 66?

Club 66 is all about recreating Goodwood style racing in Forza Motorsport and this is our first step.

How will it work and why should I build a mini?

This first series requires the Mini Cooper S built to the regs I’ll post below, our next championship will be pre 66 touring cars which your mini will also be eligible for alongside the Jag MK2, Lotus Cortina and Ford Mustang (Why’d they get rid of the Alfa GTA).

Hopefully making it a worthwhile build if you wish to join in without the hassle of building a new car. We will slowly add more cars to build sheets and will aim to recreate some of the best historic racing in Forza with potential prizes a long the way.

Schedule

18th December - Silverstone Grand Prix
1st January - Catalunya GP
8th January - Nurburgring GP
15th January - Spa Francochamps
22nd January - Mugello Full
29th January - Laguna Seca

Assists?

STM, TCS and assisted steering and braking will be forced off, we hope though people will get in the spirit and race with as many assist off as possible as these cars would be in period.

I’d like to join?

Please provide your gamer tag, and car number. I’ll add you to the list. I’ll send a friend request so that we can invite you to the game private lobby.

I have set up a discord, quickly reading a dummies guide to it.

Building a FIA Mini

(I will put my build and basic tune in storefront for those not able to get a car set up with a tune, I run no assists and have focused on a balanced tune)

Fuel and Air
Sport Exhaust - 200cp
Street Air Filter -50cp
Sport Intake Manifold - 200cp
Street Carb - 50cp
Street ignition - 50cp

Engine
Street oil and cooling - 25cp
Race flywheel -100cp
Street Camshaft - 150cp
Sport Valves - 100cp
Sport pistons - 200cp

Platform and Handling
Street brakes - 150cp
Race roll cage - 150cp
Race Rear Anti Roll Bar - 150cp
Race Springs - 500cp
Race weight reduction - 1000cp

Tires
Tire Compound street - 700cp

Rims
Stock 10 inches - either stock rims or classic style race wheels (recommend compomotive ML or RS wantanabe R Type) need to look in keeping with pre 1966 -25cp

Drivetrain
Sport Transmission - 200cp please make sure to only have gears 1-4 usable in line with original cars 4 speed gearbox.
Sport Differential -200cp
Race Clutch - 100cp
Sport Drive line - 50cp

You should have a car with 125hp and weighing around 630kg. PI 337 (depending on wheels)

Tuning my Mini?

Please note gears should be tuned to keep the original cars 4 speed however you may adjust the final drive to make those 4 gears suit the tracks. No race front anti roll bars may be installed.

I have found with the mini a stiff rear roll bar, softer front spring and stiffer rear springs with increased front camber is a good starting point to counter under steer.

Close-racing-in-pre-66-race-at-2022-Brands-Hatch-Mini-Festival-800x450

Painting my Mini?

Keep paint schemes in keeping with pre 66 cars, I’ve posted photos through the thread to give you an idea. Please post a picture of your entered car here and I’ll add it to your entry.

Entries

8 - BigphillyOG
25 - Tougemistro
44 - CGC Retro

I really hope a few people will join in on this fun and challenging little car and hopefully gives an interesting alternative to the normal racing we see online.

Remember we will be starting the next series after this for pre 66 touring cars and your little mini will be eligible again saving on building a new car, but maybe you do fancy a race in your dad’s old cortina or muscling a Mustang around, or maybe you like the luxury of a jaaagggg.

4 Likes

Entries

McFlufferton - Car 00

BigphillyOG - Car 8

Crazyeye5551 - 19

Tougemistro - 25

CGC Retro - car 44

Trippul G - car 999

I love this. Seems like a very realistic build for the mini.

1 Like

I did some comparing to real times for these cars, tricky as difficult to compare exact weather conditions, how competitive that car was and things like that.

The pre 66 mini races at Silverstone I get similar times to their front runners (using the faster non F1 chicane) at Silverstone. I’m not the fastest out there so guess these builds work out faster. We also have a lot more tuning available with the damping and geometry which is certainly a lot more restricted on the FIA regs but no way of being that focused on Forza

So I hope they give the right feel and handle as expected.

Researching these cars has made me realise how much rule bending goes on with all historic race cars, mainly in the engines but chassis as well.

I did avoid any fancy carbon materials and similar by reading the part descriptions.

2 Likes

Can I join but not beeing 100% sure I can enter all the races?

1 Like

Of course, the idea is mainly to have fun with a side of competition.

We will have at least 1 round everyone car drop their scores from to try even that out a little.

I’m also looking into how qualifying and race will work as my understanding that it may not be able to do that via private lobby.

My Entry;

Nº 8 - BigPhillyOG

Still have to get it to the Specs described above. But I’m in!
Nice Idea!

2 Likes

Fantastic looking mini.

The grinds a bit frustrating but gives plenty of time to get used to mini handling. The good news is you’ll have a car that can race in the next proposed event.

All about carrying momentum and balancing lift off oversteer and on the power understeer.

If this set of races is a success and we all have fun I may keep minis Monday in place as a way to introduce more drivers to our events.

Thanks! So is yours!

About the specs…
Gearbox and Differencial could’ve been racing, no? I mean, you can only 4 speed gearbox as stock. Sport is 5 speed and since both were already possible to be fine tuned in 1966, or weren’t they? :grin:

This is a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Is this Xbox only or are PC players welcome as well? Will there be any voice chat during the event? Discord perhaps?

Also, i don’t know if you’re wanting to keep connections limited to EU/UK for ping purposes, but I’d be connecting from Eastern US.

1 Like

@big Philly,

I did debate whether to go the full race gearbox and am still debating that with the other builds to so it may be revisited as back then they’d more build individual gear boxes for the specific track, BMC,works teams would have a variety they could swap in. The privateers and everyone else was a little more limited by time and effort.

A good example is the Healey 3000 in FIA racing you generally find they either have Sebring Gear Ratios or Tulip rations which where the two gear set BMC (British motor company competitions department) sold and homologated. On Forza 4 I was able to replicate both using the race box but it be difficult to regulate.

In period a lot of cars didn’t homologate full LSD’s and I think it keeps the challenge of these cars being classics and not ultra modern. Race diffs can make it a lot easier to tune out each cars individual character.

I think there will continue to be some changes as we build more cars and also do more races and work out what’s best.

The FIA make so many corrections every year to the real historic rules it’s mad, you’d think they’d just have this is the rule in 1965 so it will always be that but nope it’s as complicated as F1 rules it seems haha

It’s open to all who want to be part of it.

Voice is not mandatory but is helpful. We hope most will keep there eyes peeled for others on the track just as you would in a car.

I will look at discord not very familiar with it at all but my brother is a user who will also be joining the racing.

1 Like

mini-cooper-ontrack-3
cm27-9715-kevin-bottomley-morris-mini-cooper-s-19080828.jpg

Here are some more ideas for paint schemes that have a little bit more going on that the simple number circle and classic cooper stripe.

That’s a good point, I’m curious how this is going to work as well.

1 Like

I’m wandering if we do a qualifying and then a formation lap followed by a rolling start very much like they do at the Silverstone classic.

Would anyone be up for a little test session tomorrow evening? Work out this qualifying issue, and get used to cars, I’ll leave the pi open to help those still levelling cars.

I’ve also set up a discord

It says “street oil and cooling - 50 cp”, street is 25 cp and sport is 50 cp. Want to confirm if its street or sport?

I shall double check that first thing tomorrow

1 Like

This should be street -25cp for oil and cooling

1 Like

First test session went well,

The fastest lap from the previous race can be used it appears to set the next race grid

Although only me and touge raced, bigphilly joined the chat too, we had a good couple of close races.

We will try get some more test sessions in so we can all get more of a feel for the cars, me and touge had a lot of fun sliding past each other and drafting really is a big deal for those extra mph.

Spa was a very close little scrap only a penalty on the final chicane ruined it for touge.

Come join the fun, everyone loves a mini

1 Like