Inputs - Shifting Lag on Manual With Clutch (1633642)

Hello,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Thank you,

Its related to “power shift” fix, to change gears correctly u need to press clutch for about 150-250ms depending on car, and use shifter in this time, but u can’t press clutch and shift directly at same time

U need to press clutch wait 50-75ms , shift , wait for 100-175 Ms and then release clutch, basically u need to hold clutch longer, or upgrade transmission to race and don’t use clutch at all lol

Yes, when using manual/clutch with pedals, there’s something off with the timing.

What’s this about?

What this means is that Forza Motorsport, by design, DOES NOT FULLY SUPPORT the wheels that it claims to. When this happened with Forza 4, the problem was fixed after several annoying weeks. Just like now they were worried about exploits and cheating (in this case recorded inputs I believe). The end result was that anyone who was trying to use one of the 900-degree wheels that had been pushed with Forza 3 was accused of cheating (and denied post-race rewards) because their inputs were “too smooth.”

This (by design) is a game breaking issue for players who have set ups with H-patten shifters and clutch pedals. What happens is this. Even when shifting properly, sooner or later a shift will be “too fast” according to the game even if it would be ok in real life. This causes transmission damage (which by the way my car would go in the shop monthly if the game was actually modeling reality). The game then adds a “transmission damage” random delay to simulate difficulties shifting which further separate the game world from the physical reality experienced by the player (remember the player is shifting with physical not visual feedback regarding the position of the gear selector). This rapidly leads to more transmission and engine damage and a feedback cycle that ruins the race. Yes, we could give up on the simulated damage mode to partially mitigate the problem, but that is not full support.

Please, either make this lack of full support official in the advertising or actually properly implement support for H-pattern shifters and clutch pedals. What I mean is add another mode only usable with an actual clutch pedal as part of the wheel setup. Go ahead and monitor the shift to make sure that the proper sequence of clutch use, shifting, and gas pedal use if followed (But DO NOT add any sort of artificial delays, make this reliant on the inputs from the physical hardware which is providing physical feedback to the player. If the shift is “good”, then do not penalize the player in any way with over-revs, simulated fumbling for a gear, and/or transmission/engine damage. If at that time you want to slow the shift in game to what the car would actually be capable of (please research this) then do so with a smooth but delayed shift.

Even for the controller players this “feature” is targeting there are issues. Creating a button press minigame in the bottom right corner of the screen is poor game design when the car is in a left turn. If this feature is desired for controller players, please update the implementation to make it clearer when to complete the shift.

(Of course, you could split hairs and claim that the wheel is supported but none of the peripherals that work with it are)

Also the past tense of damage is a perfectly acceptable word, do not block it. I originally had "
_______ transmission" instead of “transmission damage”

4 Likes

Turn 10 please fix this…it is my only issue… it is completely game-breaking. I could literally shift faster in my old 14’ Corrola. This is not an exaggeration at all.

Turn10, please fix it!

This artificial delay of clutch engagement after releasing clutch pedal is killing fun of manual cars with H pattern.

I want to drive DTM legends on N-ring with clutch! :wink:

We are closing out this issue. The developers have noted this issue as Fixed as of Update 5.0 on 02.14.24

At the time of the fix this topic had 112 votes.

1 Like