Increase the Horizon Festival Vibe

One of the biggest and most noticeable world design changes Playground games can make to a fh title is the Horizon Festival vibe that can be witnessed throughout the game, remembering how fh4 was heavily critiqued because of the lack of the reminiscent presence of the festival.

This was improved during the next title, FH5, having 6 main festival sites across Mexico, which is a major improvement over fh4.

However, it should be noted that, even though we have 6 festival sites, there isnt that much presence of the festival in on itself apart from these locations, specially in comparison to previous forza games apart from fh4.

So here are a few ways to improve the presence (these are some of the things I come up at the moment, feel free to criticize/add on these features)
Smaller stands/camps/festival sites : These new architectures would be similar to how they worked on FH1/2, you’d have these stands around urban and more poblated zones, with some pedestrians in these stands.

Festival themed props around pavimented roads and car parks : Props such as flags, banners, painted logos on the road, confetti, painted houses, and such, would help the vibe we are seeking, similarly to the stands mentioned before, these props woukd be tied to public, urban areas, instead of placing them on rural and natural ares, since it would ruin the beautiful landscapes of the map the game is being set, which speaking of…

[Fh3 concept art][there’re also some concept arts of fh5 from PietroDonz which represent what im talking about]

Lights on the environment and landscapes : Something that caught my eyes while looking at the concept arts of FH5 was the idea of having different colored lights on rural areas, lighting up cacti, waterfalls, etc. It would’ve been cool to see this feature on fh5 or a next release, since it not only makes a prettier game when driving offroad at night, but it also captures the presence of the festival vibe, by reminding you how these biomes and its nature is still reminiscent on the game.

michael-richards-fh5-imagetemplate-4k-night-light-test
michael-richards-fh5-imagetemplate-4k-night-light-01
michael-richards-fh5-imagetemplate-4k-waterfall-night-01
[Fh5 concept arts from Michael Richards]

Noticing the lights of the festivals from long distances : At last, this feature would improve the feeling and vibe of the game while exploring the map.

[Pictures from FH1, one is at the top of the Canyons, the other one is near the highway]

I wholeheartedly agree with these suggestions! The Horizon Festival is supposed to feel like a celebration of both cars and music equally. As the games have progressed, we’ve lost a lot of the music festival aspect. In Forza Horizon 1, we had massive crowds and fair rides. In Forza Horizon 5, those features were absent. I also want to touch on the live music. I will admit, Forza Horizon 5 did a great job on the concerts, they look and feel much better than the previous games. I feel as though there should be an option in the settings for accurate concert audio. Meaning, when you pull into a festival site, you will hear the music from the concert that’s happening. That way, you won’t hear edm while someone is obviously rapping on stage.

About the lights on plants and natural features, I think that would be a great addition ONLY if added near the festival. It would be kind of odd going into the wilderness and finding a rockface lit up. Other than that, I am totally in agreement with your suggestions! These are just a few ideas that I thought would help the vibe of the festival.

3 Likes

This is something in the game that I wanted to see improve especially looking back at the first 3 entries in the series, I think you have done a great job putting this suggestion into words! I think putting additional festival sites in more heavily populated areas like the surfers paradise festival in H3 also helps bring these areas to life, Edinburgh in H4 felt too quite without a festival.

2 Likes

Here’s something to take a look at with some really good points about the festival and general direction that’d be nice to return.

2 Likes

I really miss the music festival vibe from Forza Horizon 1 and Horizon 3 !!. On top of festival site design, lighting and environment, the music choice really makes or breaks the festival atmosphere.

New festival-inspired music similar and those in FH1 and FH3 needed to be added and brought back. Let an actual festivak DJ or hosts specializing in mass music festival events compile the bets music to spreally create the mood and immersion we had in the original game back in 2012 !

2 Likes