FWD tuning oversteer on entry/braking

I am having big troubles with FWD cars, very oversteery on entry/off throttle, and it’s not the diff.

a few things to try.
-Stiffen rear springs, more than you think you should.
-Add positive rear anti squat
-try some negative rear offset.
-anti roll try at 40/40 or 15/40, see what you prefer.
-Low rear tire pressure.

1 Like

You might try increasing anti-dive.
Since FWD cars are typically so front-heavy, the rear can get extra light & loose under braking when there’s so much forward weight transfer (dive).
Increasing anti-dive might help resist some of that forward weight transfer under braking to keep the rear a little more planted.
Increasing front damper bump stiffness and/or decreasing rear damper rebound stiffness might also help for the same reason.
Good luck & let us know what you settle on that works best for you.

1 Like

It sound like the anit-dive as I make them 0,0 blind tuning. I will test later.

sure fire fix:
Reduce anti dive slightly (I usually run +11.5 to+12.0)
Reduce rear tire pressure (use telemetry- looking for the center to be near or equal to inner/ outer temps)
Increase rear camber (more negative, but you CAN overdo it, I usually start at -1.0 and work from there)
Increase rear rebound stiffness (slows the rate of weight transfer to the front)
Increase rear anti-squat (this makes a BIG difference)

Increasing rear spring rate is a double edged sword. It can increase rear traction, but without enough rear rebound stiffness, it can exacerbate the braking oversteer

Decreasing rear swaybar stiffness can also help, but might make the car hard to rotate at all (understeer city.

It would be helpful to know what vehicle is causing you issues, I am sure I (or someone here) have one, and I would be more than happy to share my Suspension/ tire settings with you.

1 Like

so far not working, I tried up to max rear anti squat and its not working. Maybe is need to also up the anti dive also?

what car is it?

97 honda civic.

Not really living up to your name now are you?
(Sorry for not helping, I had to make the joke…)

1 Like

Here are my settings .

1 Like

I Just threw together a Full Grip C class 97 civic. Just a quick tune, but see how this works for you.

28.0/27.0 Psi
Camber- 1.4/1.6
Toe -0/0
Catser- 7.0
ARB -40/40
Springs -504.1/712.4
Hight- 5.0/5.0
Bump-3.1/2.8
Rebound- 10.4/11.1
Offset- 9.8/9.8
Dive/Squat- +26.0/+149.6
Aero- 100/75
Diff- 100/0

1 Like

hello mate maybe this can help you. I use it to do my setups. let me know if it helped you. good luck

2 Likes

I tried your tune its way better (thanks) but I think it’s the brakes and or dive/squat. The Rears don’t come close to locking and then they lock the slower/longer it use the brakes.

reducing front anti roll bar can help turn your car. Better try adjusting your suspensions stiffness if you have a rear wing reduce it gradually to your preference adjusting tyre pressure lower makes the front more responsive adjust front camber between negative 2.5 0.5 gradually adjust your cars Ride height from highest to the lowest gradually keep your brake balance at 100 105 just in case it does help try your acceleration diff between 5 & 35 percent you can try higher just to see how the car handles to get the desired Handling it’s all about expirimenting tuning isn’t as complicated as it looks if I’m struggling to find a sweet spot for my desired preference i Test Drive top speed handling ect

All good now mostly, I learnt that I need flat rear camber, flat rear toe, and more anti dive and more anit squat.