Forza Motorsport 6: Apex crashed all windows 10, video card and Nvdia 365.10 drivers

Hello all,
I hope this info will make others aware and/or have turn 10 look into compatibility with Nvidia 365.10 drivers

I am writing this topic as a copy of an email to forzafb@microsoft.com because I’m about two hours into fixing an issue from Forza Motorsport 6: Apex.

I have had games on my computer crash to windows desktop then everything else works ok, but never have I had a game crash the whole computer and make my video card (code 43 in device manager) and video card drivers unusable.

I recently installed Forza Motorsport 6: Apex on 5/7/16. I thought it was great and I played it for at least 2 hours straight, absolutely no problems, no lag or shutter with frame rates, etc., it was as if I was on a console.

Today on 5/8/16 I checked for the latest nvidia drivers and saw NVidia 365.10 drivers released 5/2/16. I installed them before playing the game.

After installing the drivers and playing the game 3 races of about 10 min each, Forza Motorsport 6: Apex crashed all video on windows as if it corrupts the drivers(GTX 980 ti NVidia 365.10 drivers released 5/2/16).

This happened during a race and crashed the whole computer, black screen to restart.
After restart windows shut off the video card (code 43), default windows resolution was only 1024x768 or 800x600, and the video drivers needed to be downloaded and updated.

The only fix is to delete all nvdia drivers and reinstall them as a clean install and I had to do this multiple times with multiple restarts before my video worked properly

After reinstalling about 3-4 attempts with standalone .exe and GeForce experience software, it finally worked with GeForce experience software.
I played Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for two races and during a race it crashed the whole computer, instead of black screen and restart, it gave a purple screen with error DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I reinstalled the video drivers again, and restarted windows, it took 2 attempts before the driver installed properly.

System info

All stock speeds and voltages, nothing is overclocked
Windows 10 64 bit professional 10.0.10586
GTX 980 ti NVidia {365.10 drivers released 5/2/16) 6GB video card ram
intel i7 - 5930k
3840x2160 resolution
64 gb system ram

What’s a code 43 again?

Appreciate the time it took you to write down this feedback, are things still working ok for you?

yes tthey are working but that’s after one more time that Forza game crashed and disabled the display drivers for all of Windows 10.

after reinstalling drivers properly for the second time and this post I took a few days to use the computer as normal, no problems. I tried Forza gain and during the 3rd race same problem, took multiple attempts and even reinstalled Windows 10. I’ve found the best results to be:

• delete all Nvidia software (graphics driver last)
    clean install all software
    shut all power off from power supply
    Physically disconnect everything from the card, and remove the card
    reinstall card
    reinstall drivers

This is an awesome game, but I for the hours it takes to fix if it crashes the drivers, and having to reinstall of windows as a precaution for clean driver install, I will not even try this game again without a patch/update to the game software, or a release past beta.

I can understand a beta versions may crash the game itself.

The team at Forza needs to isolate the crashes of the application (Forza) from breaking display card drivers for all of Windows (the entire operating system) .

i can’t play the game too. my game crashed after 1-3 minutes at the first race nad the driver will be restored. currently i don’t know how to fix that.

Not had it give me a black screen but yesterday my drivers did stop responding while playing the game twice and froze it but was able to exit out, first time since install last Thursday though.

Hi All,

To add to this thread. I receive the following:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 365.10 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.”

After which the game crashes to desktop. I have not yet successfully launched the game.
Nvidia driver has been installed twice, clean.

My rig a is an Origin PC EON15-S Laptop with the following specs:

Cpu: i7-4720HQ
Ram: 16GB
Video: Nvidia GTX980M (driver 365.10)
HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB

Up until this point it has played everything that I have been able to throw at it.
Also two eventlog errors appear to be related as they only appear after the driver fault.

Eventlog:
Entry 1:
Faulting application name: ForzaMotorsportApex.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57196cce
Faulting module name: ForzaMotorsportApex.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x57196cce
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000938760
Faulting process ID: 0x1160
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ab664615c763
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApexPG_1.0.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaMotorsportApex.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ApexPG_1.0.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaMotorsportApex.exe
Report ID: f3eeace5-cd15-47d2-a8e8-61588cf60247
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.ApexPG_1.0.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: forzamotorsportapex

Entry 2:
Faulting application name: BackgroundTaskHost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d8f0
Faulting module name: twinapi.appcore.dll, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d2f5
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x000000000004b199
Faulting process ID: 0x1d60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ab66574f5d57
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\BackgroundTaskHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32 winapi.appcore.dll
Report ID: 94c6da1b-6e70-450c-8b83-4585b7b71589
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_1000.10586.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider

Please make absolutely sure the integrated HD graphics from Intel are disabled in your BIOS.

twinapi.appcore.dll is an essential piece of Windows; you could try the command “SFC /SCANNOW” to check if the file is correct or Windows is damaged for whatever reason.

Nvidia has had problems of late with drivers not updating properly and thus causing crashing, especially with multi monitors connected.

Go into safe mode, use DDU to clean.

Boot into windows normally and reinstall.

Hello guys , I’m suffering the same problem as yours .
My laptop is Gigabyte P34G with a 256G ssd .
First I tried and enter the game , but after a whole day working with my computer , I can’t enter the game !
My NVDIA driver is 365.19 , and it crash at every time I start the game .
I just found some probable issues , when I open the setting menu , the video is set in a higher mode which I can’t play frequently .
Each time I start the game I have to reset it to a lower resolution , if I can enter the game .
I just want to know why this game’s adjustment for graphic is so poor .

Second day after installation (next pc startup), the game would crash to desktop when starting a race. I assume this is a common problem.

To fix this, all I did was resetting the app’s data in Settings > Apps (on latest Windows 10) and in the list locate Forza, select it, click advanced and reset data. All it does basically is sign you out from the app, but the profile, your achievements and all that are stored online anyway, so you just need to sign in again.

I don’t know if this solves the problem permanently - time will tell - but I hope this will work for some of you.