Expansion 2: Rally Adventure reveal Feb. 23

IMO there are already enough rallye cars and offroaders in the game and the cars on the list don’t really interest me much. Except for the Focus and Beetle maybe. But it’s good the Audi S1 comes back.

I’d just wish they’d introduced some Dakar style racing trucks. Renault, MB, MAN, DAF, Tatra, Kamaz or Hino.

4 Likes

Suzuki XL7 Pikes Peak
Lancia 037
DAF Turbo Twin

I can dream! But more races and customisation is good to enjoy what we already have.

3 Likes
  1. Thank God it isn’t a Lego.
  2. The expansion is just okay, not a bad one but also not the greatest. I think there’s nothing wrong with the map and mechanics, but I believe PGG could do better than that.
  3. New car list is a bit underwhelming. I was expecting Lancia to make a comeback, but I just realized that there’s licensing issues with Stellantis so I can’t hope much more.
  4. For anyone that still hoping for an expansion or title in Japan, asking license to Japanese government isn’t that easy, especially for a racing game. What I’ve remembered last time a racing game was based in Japan is on PS2 era.

Anyway, let’s just hope for the next title. Imagine another country in Asia which fulfills all Forza Horizon users criteria as alternatives (winding roads, all weathers, city scenery, jungles, mountains etc) instead of Japan. My closest bet is China since it met all the criteria and we get Chinese cars updates from initial months of release. India could be an option (but it lacks info about car culture), or even Thailand and Indonesia.

4 Likes

The Lightning is a complete waste of a slot but it’s a predictable move, we know how they feel about EVs. McRae’s Focus and the Ultra4 Jeep interest me the most.

2 Likes

Just to add also remember folks this game isnt called Forza Megalopolis 5. The word “horizon” suggests sunsents,wide open roads and beautiful countryside. This game is inherently meant to be differnt than a Midnight club open world , grand theft auto or need for speed.

Although i do expect the game to have a reasonable size city and a map that feels dense and well packed. Older horizon games 1-3 have done a very good job of having a good balance of both.

And as FTLFAM mentioned earlier there are lots of players that specifically want Tokyo style cities and to my view Japan as a location. Its just so obnoxious to me this whole JDM Tokyo stuff like if something isnt Japan then it just cant exist or have a substance. Its always Japan this , japan that. The entire obsession over it is really annyoing.

We all love japanese cars but my lord please can you stop repeating the same thing like 3000 times? We might as well rename this game to Forza Weabo 5

8 Likes

Thats an idea ; lets introduce a new series Forza Megapolis 1 !!
There are hundreds of cities with particular attributes, architecture, monuments, colors, weather
(other than Japanese megacities, NYC, Miami…)
and above all a little life!
(Horizon5 is great for wide open spaces but it’s like being on the Moon)

Frankly very disappointing.

I feel like déjà vu for 9 out of 10 models, “signature” trucks and buggies not fun to drive.
It’s not really my vision of rallying, but that’s how it is.
This DLC is badly named for me, it corresponds to a BAJA spirit, exploration and extreme off-road.
where are the legends of the historic rally? modern ?
Toyota Yaris GR? Huh
I like the map nevertheless, it will be great to discover, explore and browse, with all new routes.

5 Likes

I have this tiny hope that PGG is preparing a surprise and will bring back Lancia (together with Alfa Romeo and others) for Series 19, right for the launch of Rally Adventure… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As I live in an area of the US that has many of these vehicles commonplace to see on the road, I don’t mind them. I wish PGG would remove the ability for supercars to do off road to give vehicles like these a place to shine. With the current meta, off road is a mess and useless in classes above B class in anything other than a uber vehicle.

5 Likes

Deleted

1 Like

Seeing that i haven’t actually engaged in this Expansion yet, i’m going to wait before i give it a good or bad rating.

It looks interesting and i am hoping it has more than what the HW expansion had, both in engagement and volume.

Who knows, it might be pretty good at the end of the day…

As for speculation on cars, yes we seen a couple, i doubt we seen all that is going to be available.

Fingers crossed they have done something right for a change.

All cars coming with the expansion are already revealed and listed here :wink:

2 Likes

Depends really. A rally can be a Finnish man driving through a Forrest in the snow in a car like you are thinking of, or Paris - Dakar(or wherever it’s taking place) in anything from a motorbike to a truck. Are some of the new vehicles more suited to the latter?

2 Likes

A load of trucks and buggies and 1Rally car. Could have balanced it a bit better.
The only worse roster of cars in an expansion is the Lego. Really disappointed.
Least I’ve made some rally cars and livery’s for some Evo 6 and impreza’s that suit the era of the focus rally car if anyone wants one

2 Likes

Ya know, I see WAY more people complaining about people demanding Japan and a big city setting than I have seen people actually requesting those things.

Regardless, as for the new vehicle selection, I’m still extremely disappointed. Could have at least thrown in a couple normal vehicles instead of none. I like collecting, photographing and just looking at the cars in forzavista. With race vehicles and buggies though, not so much, as there’s not much to look at inside or out.

2 Likes

I believe the desire for a JDM-focused expansion (or game) comes from nostalgia, if we’re going to be blunt?

A lot of fans may not know it, but what they’re subconsciously expressing is they want a modern NFS Underground (1 & 2) built with the Forza engine… Because I believe what they’re really after is the same feeling of awe and wonder they felt as a child when those games were released?

20 years ago, the JDM scene in NA exploded with the original “Fast & Furious”, and that’s exactly why EA decided to make NFS Underground. Most who played that game were probably very young, and nothing can beat that sense of child-like wonder when you experience something for the first time. This “nostalgic high” is what I believe many are chasing, but they don’t even know it? This is what may be what is fueling this constant desire to want to turn Forza Horizon into NFS Underground 2023, any chance they get.

I like Japanese cars and car culture, too, but it gets annoying when a small, but vocal minority constantly try and force FH to be something it will never be, and then have the nerve to get angry at the developers for not delivering on their personal expectations.

5 Likes

I don’t know why you’re getting so hung up on it though, it’s a place synonymous with car culture with many sub-cultures tracing their origins to it in addition to that nostalgia factor from the cars the country has produced.

It’s inevitable some people are going to want a game set there more than anything, and it’s even more inevitable that this being the internet some will go OTT.

And we are at the tail end of a Japan focused series in the game itself.

1 Like

Funny enough, nostalgia is the reason I love Horizon the way it is.

Stop equating a desire to drive in an environment that’s not 95% barren or full of vegetation with nostalgia for old games. It’s dismissive, it’s reductionist, and frankly, it’s also making the argument that developers have gotten lazier and stupider in the last 15 years - an argument I’m not entirely against, given the current state of things.

2 Likes

The one thing I’d borrow from Mexico is the kind of coast to coast thing. It gives the impression somewhat you’ve crossed an actual country. I’d divide any new map into 50% city, 50% country with the seas at both sides. The city would include old architecture and sky rise buildings in another quarter. One side of the map at large would include docks, the other a big Baja friendly beach. Stick a mountain (ot two) in the middle.

The flaw in that is that is with so much city, it’s unfriendly to the Eliminator mode.

And that’s what I’d do. Do I care where it is set? Not to a huge degree.