Digital foundry calling out T10

RTGI when T10?

8 Likes

Yup, there are other ways of doing it too. Like editing each .xml file.

With the minimal performance gains this game has made i dont see rtgi coming for awhile if at all. Its more likely they will remove these files from the game folder and start banning people that use them.

3 Likes

I just watched the video of Alex, a shame my GPU can’t do all of that. But I hope we get official ways of getting that in the near future. I will probably buy a RTX 50xx in winter then I can take advantage of it all.

My RTX 3080 is just too weak.

1 Like

If your 3080 is weak I don’t know what to say about series X

1 Like

It’s almost 4 years old. There is series 40xx already so yes it’s outdated. And consoles are already outdated when they hit the market.

I can still play most games with decent graphics but it shows it’s age.

Just FYI for anyone that’s going to try this. As long as the dynamic scalability setting is Ultra, any other setting can be changed as you wish.

Personally I lower RTAO and Cubemaps to low which boosts performance significantly but doesn’t make much visual difference with RTGI being used in their stead.

If you’re running low on Vram, use 8x texture filtering. You could even lower shadow or texture quality a notch depending on which you’d find least distracting.

I also lower motion blur and a couple other options which let’s my 4070 hit over 60fps (even in interiors) at a native 1440p TAA with RTGI enabled and it still looks much better than Ultra usually does. This doesn’t have to destroy performance.

2 Likes

If you have 60 ish FPS with a 4070 in 1440p yeah my 3080 won’t be able to hold 75 in 2160p.

If I use any of these things.

The 3080 has a tiny bit more performance than the 4070 but less v-ram.

Is it common practice for PC games to have a “Visual Target” folder or does it show that the game shipped short of a properly finished look?

1 Like

Going by the rest of the game id say it was the latter.

I’ve never seen it before. It was probably a collection of settings that they were aiming to be able to get optimized for console at 30fps (and used in all the promo stuff) but they didn’t make it and forgot to delete it.

I’m subscribed to digital foundry channel and was on YouTube and when I saw this I was surprised :hushed:

Edit. Just going to look at the video, gawk and then resume ignoring ray tracing until I upgrade my entire setup…

But it won’t be for Forza. Forza would be a “nice to have” but, I am thinking I should get setup for the next batch of RTX festooned games.

Plus as stated earlier, there’s not a snowball’s chance in a volcano that Turn 10 implements any of this.

1 Like

I just did the tweak and running at brands hatch with that f1 event or whatever car it is, my vram maxxed out at 15,964. That is full Rt/4k/60fps-vsync/No Dlss. It actually looks really close to what the are showcasing us in the various media. I see why they had to dial it back, very few gpus have anywhere near enough vram to pull it off. I’m gonna try dlss-quality/dlaa and note the vram usage and edit it in… edit: it seems to be virtually the same…

Lower texture filtering to 8x and cubemap quality to low. Should alleviate Vram usage.

If that fails, lower shadows or texture quality just a notch away from max.

DLAA is also really heavy in this game, so are you using that or TAA?

Im not worried about vram my card has 24gb vram, I was just trying to point it out as a reason why they had to nerf the RTGI. I’m glad I saw this thread and tried the file swap it looks amazing now!

1 Like

How is the lighting? The Digital Foundry one shadows look extremely dark, ie without any exposure correction like your eye does. And the even say nighttime is extremely dark. I alrady have issues with it the way it is being so dark and headlights not illuminating anything like they do in other sims. Like as it is, I cannot see the corner for Blanchimont on Spa even with all the track lighting.

1 Like

Night time is just broken, it’s not really worth using.

As for shadows being dark in the day? That’s the thing with RTGI, shadows aren’t just a fixed brightness, they’re the brightest and color of the surrounding environment so it varies.

When asphalt is in shadow it’s definitely darker however. Raytracing has been disabled for asphalt but the game isn’t trying to use ssr or anything anymore, so it’s got nothing left to reflect.

Why don’t you guys use AMD cards?

Because I want to use the best i can get. AMD cards have always given me problems as well.

2 Likes