Career, or lack there of…

I’m not a multiplayer person, and like to race without others dive bombing or playing bumper cars. I was looking forward to career play, like in previous versions going back to the first release.

The introduction was ok, and so was Builders Cup, but now there doesn’t seems to be a progression. I have Featured tab with the Prestige Tour, which has a delay. This is lacking and very disappointing for longtime player of the franchise.

19 Likes

This is exactly why it makes no sense for them to be rotating in new content with things like a new Open Series each month. These events should be added to what existed in the game at launch.

I like that they’re keeping existing content and adding new stuff to it with the Featured/Prestige Tour, but I hate that it’s time-gated, just like the Open Series. FOMO tactics are especially off-putting with the game being such a grind as it currently is. We have to grind through a total of 30-40 races (there or thereabouts) each month with these two new series, and our reward at the end is…two new cars. Which we then have to run laps in, grinding for at least another hour or two each, just to unlock upgrades so that we can drive them and tune them the way we want. The whole gameplay loop is just so unrewarding, it really feels like a chore every month to get these races done before the new series and new reward cars are released. It’s not so much that I don’t have the time to do it…but I’m finding more and more that I just don’t really want to.

[edit] actually, I take that back…I thought they were adding series to the Featured tab, but they’re not. A game with such little content to begin with can’t afford to be throwing content away like this just because someone feels that it needs to make way for the new flavor of the month. I can’t for the life of me understand how this is supposed to grow the game or grow the community. This isn’t growth…it’s just change for the sake of change.

14 Likes

Exactly, and they should also do something about letting us decide how many laps for the races , and lack of tire wear needs to be addressed with a slider or something to affect rate of wear.

1 Like

Making an acceptable career in Forza must be one of the easiest tasks of any game. There’s no need to employ any actors or create any dialogue, no need for a particular plot or endgame. All that is required is to create a series of events which allow players to start in a reasonably basic car and gradually work through events to reach race cars.

In FM, instead we get a series of fairly random events, with no structure and with only a small fraction of the cars used. We can’t drive any race cars in the events. It’s incredibly bizarre. When it landed I thought they’d fairly immediately release the next level of Builders Cup, with race car events. I now just don’t get the impression that’s even in their future plans. It looks like we are just going to get the temporary events.

As for the featured events being added permanently, that’s a no brainer. The single player game would already look so much better if we have the additional Featured Events and two lots of Open Class events to have a go at.

10 Likes

Unless you’re making an MMORPG or something like Fortnite, A good single player experience should be the foundation…

3 Likes

You must have your game set to skip the series intro sequences?

Vote!

https://forums.forza.net/t/cups-added-in-updates-should-stay-in-the-game/655742

1 Like

They don’t need to have introductions. I bet almost everyone here would trade those short introductions for more drivable content.

3 Likes

My game crashes most times when those intros start, so I have to restart and then fortunately it lets me access the event without repeating the intro. They certainly aren’t adding much for me!

Most MMORPG are really good at single player. Upcoming WOW 10.2.5 will have AI with whom you can do dungeons solo or partial party. I tried it in test server, it’s awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah, i guess that is true too :rofl: If i think about it, none of the MMORPG’s i played couldn’t be done as a solo experience. It’s just some things are really hard or impossible to do without teaming up.

1 Like

Thats what i try to say every time.
Without Singleplayer content especially the career this game is not worth it.

If they want to bring monthly events they should create “Forza Online RPG” so there they can do such kiddy things.

Forza Motorsport was until FM4 a good competition against Gran Turismo but now GT is by far the better one.

5 Likes

I’d trade the intros for more OST songs while in the menu. Some of the BGM in the intros are great. But still there is a voice actor for these intros. That is the point I was trying to make. Also, the music in the intros is often the beginning of the OST, mostly before the hook begins. The editing is doing the game’s OST a disservice.

Speaking of OST, where are the songs that people are saying sound like some third grader making a song on FL Studio? You know the ones that endlessly loop while tuning or painting. While in those menus the only stem playing is the bass track… Those! I bought the OST because one of the songs (better to call it a beat) became quite the earworm and for a few days it was stuck in my head. When I got the OST, it and about a dozen other beats (see it works better…) were nowhere to be found. I feel kind of cheated because a couple of those tracks could be fleshed out into some great Industrial Techno songs…

Such a missed opportunity. Perhaps the OST will evolve with the game?

Sorry for answering your rather serious and well thought out reply with a silly joke; but they should seriously consider licensing the Benny Hill Theme for this game, it would go well with the current state of the game.

5 Likes

I’m curious as to which version you speak of with a good career,and don’t say fm4.All fm4 is a series of events one after another in random cars,it does however let you change classes before the event is locked in,so theres that.TOCA’S HAD A REAL CAREER WITH A CORNY STORY TO FOLLOW AS WELL,IT WAS ENTERTAINING…

It depends on what you consider a good career. The Motorsport games have never had an in-depth career mode with a story. What they have had, especially in the Xbox 360 era games, is a huge amount and variety of content for you to complete at your own pace, with worthwhile rewards when you finished a series or hit a driver level milestone.

5 Likes

No… Benny Hill made Yackety Sax too iconic for FM. A song made The Price is Right’s Losing Horn might be more appropriate for most. Endless loop it and it fits right in.

(18445) The Price is Right Losing Horn - Sound Effect (HD) - YouTube

3 Likes

Career… I can’t remember when motorsport had a good career. By career I don’t mean an actual pilot career, but singe player experience you can enjoy.
Yeah I enjoyed FM3 career back in the days for some time because the series was new to me, but it became boring very fast. FM4 became boring even faster because it was the same FM3 with some new things.

1 Like

Many people like to put FM4 on a pedestal because it offered a huge variety of events… That a lot of people are really asking for when they say, they want a “career” or “campaign”.

Hell, the original Race Driver Grid (2008) had a HUGE campaign that spanned multiple disciplines AND had management features that were reflected in the game by the sponsor stickers and decals you could actually place on your vehicles like a real racing team.

In fact, the whole campaign was you, the player, were starting your own fledgling race team. So, in-between races to earn money for your organization, you were a Driver-for-Hire for other teams. This is such a simple concept, but something that exists in the real world of transport and logistics, and is even a standard feature in games like American, and Euro Truck Simulator.

If more racing games had this kind of structure (race to make money for your own team and also help other teams) and the amount of events to support it - key - Most people would be happy. Devs wouldn’t need to invest all the money in voice acting, motion capture and cinematic cutscene directors, either.

Even small, dramatic possibilities exist within this format because the finale might be you race a team (and fellow driver you develop a rivalry/relationship with) you helped get to the position they’re at. Again, it doesn’t have to be Grid Legends, or F1-level of production. But just basic investment of “Why do we race?” is what’s missing from a lot of racing games, and what a lot of people are subconsciously asking for when they say, they want a meaningful career, or campaign mode.

1 Like

The last enjoyable racing game career that I played was Namco’s R: Racing Evolution. The game wasn’t that impressive, but the story had me hooked… Or it could have been Rika’s ill-fitting race suit? I am not sure.
But yes, the corny story of a paramedic becoming a professional racing driver by scaring the bejeezus out of a crew chief during an ambulance ride, was more compelling than the checklists on PGR2, FM, Rallysport Challenge 2 and Ford Racing. I didn’t say that R: Racing Evolution was a better game than the aforementioned titles. But its story made the game hard to put down…

Or maybe it was the post-race presser cutscenes, and that leather racing suit that was 2 sizes too small… I forget.

The best part of R: Racing Evolution? The Pressure system. Drive behind someone for about 20 seconds and you instantly tap into their radio as they shout, “Farewell Cruel World” and, turn head long into a ditch. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I haven’t played the game in years. It was on my OG Xbox, but I can still remember a lot about the story. To this day I cannot remember any of the races from Forza Motorsport’s various checklists, except for the final race at the Nordschleife in FM1. I ended up beating that race in the Panoz LMP… Not an easy feat using a Fanatec Speedster 3 wheel.