Bugs that can ruin your liveries

So, not really sure wether this topic belongs here or in another category (Mods pls let me know^^). Some cars have display bugs that effect your liveries. These bugs can e.g. shift the vinyls or not display parts in free roam after spending hours in the liveryeditor. To prevent other painters on wasting their time I make a list on all the cars I encounter those problems on. I’ll add pictures of each bug later so you can estimate the impact on your planned designs. Feel free to add the bugs you encounter while making liveries. Pls include pictures, I’ll add them to the list.
The current list:

• Audi RS E-Tron gt (2021) here Fixed with series 15 update
  • Audi Sport Quattro (1983) here
  • BMW E92 M3 with the LB Works Bodykit (2008) here
  • BMW M3 (2005) here
  • BMW M3 GTR (2002) here
  • BMW M4 with LB WORKS Preset (2014) here
  • Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupé with Streethunter Designs WB-kit (2020) here
  • Ferrari FXX K (2014) here
  • Ferrari 488 Pista (2019) here
  • Ferrari 512 TR (1992) here
  • Fosberg Racing Nissan ‘Gold Leader’ Datsun 280 Z (1975) here
  • HDT VK Commodore Group A (1985) here
  • Jaguar F-TYPE COUPÉ with widebody kit (2015) here
  • Lynk & Co 03+ with widebody-kit (2021) here
  • Mercedes AMG GTS (2015) here
  • Mercedes Benz 300 SLR (1955) here
  • Mini John Cooper Works (2009) here
  • Mini X-Raid All4 Racing Countryman (2013) here
  • Nissan Silvia K’S Aero with Rocketbunny kit (1998) here
  • Pontiac firebird trans am (1977) here
  • Porsche Cayman GTS with Rocket Bunny kit (2015) here
  • Porsche 911 gt3rs 4.0 (2012) here
  • Porsche 911 gt2rs (2018) here
  • Porsche 911 gt2rs with Duke Dynamics Widebody kit (2018) here (partially fixed, 2x)
  • Porsche 911 Carrera RS with RWB-kit (1973) here
  • Porsche 911 reimagined by Singer - DLS (1990) here
  • Porsche 911 Carrera RS (1973) here
  • Volkswagen Golf R with APR kit (2010) here (partially fixed)

Note: pls also post if they get fixed, so I can remove them from the list.
Also note: Most of the differences described between free roam and photomode dissapear when increasing the world car level of detail setting to extreme.

2 Likes

Porsche 911 gt2rs (2018)
This one is a minor one, there is a part of the vinyl, that is missing in free roam:

That’s supposed to be black, as on the right side.

2 Likes

Porsche 911 gt2rs with Duke Dynamics Widebody kit (2018)
As cool as the bodykit looks, it has a lot of problems with liveries.
There is a misalignment of roof and bonnet, which also leeds to shifting vinyls in free roam, also a part around the wheel-arch can’t be covered in vinyls:

After patch:

There is another part on the right side, that isn’t covered in free roam:

And two small spots an the back that can’t be covered with vinyls: fixed

Edit:
Nearly forgot the most hillarious bug on this car, the vinyls on the one side of the car continue on the other side in front of the front wheel-arch and vice versa: This has been fixed with series 13.

2 Likes

E92 M3 with the LB Works Bodykit (2008)
Not that bad, but there is a small part at the rear wheel-arch, which can’t be covered with vinyls (on both sides). Als there is a dark shadow around the fuelcap in free roam. There are also some small lines that aren’t covered by vinyls on the right c-pillar, the boot lid and the left front fender:

1 Like

Mercedes AMG GTS (2015)
The line between the boot lid and the rear bumper isn’t diplayed correctly in free roam.
How it is supposed to look:

How it looks in free roam:

1 Like

Ferrari FXX K (2014)
All the vinyls on the right side shift upwards in free roam. You can see it quite clear when using the italy flag as reference point.
How it should look:

1 Like

Porsche 911 gt3rs 4.0 (2012)
Another minor one. The vinyl on the right side of the spoiler is not displayed in free roam. (but it is displayed on the left, which looks kind of funny).
Supposed look:

2 Likes

Wonder if they ever fixed the same issue on the Audi S1 Group B…

The '77 Trans Am has the most broken user-content mapping that I have come across. All kinds of discontinuities and distortions:

3 Likes

I think this isn’t car specific. It’s just the result of mapping a 2D-vector on an 3D-surface. Tho it appears to be shifted around the rear end of the door. If it means something to you I’ll add it to the list.
Edit: yeah, definitely a shift at the door.

2 Likes

Audi Sport Quattro (1983)
Not the same issue, but definitely noteworthy.
The spoiler just gets wrapped with vinyls partially:

Also the edge looks different in free roam:

1 Like

It’s a result of the user-content coordinate system not being properly aligned between surfaces. The '79 Camaro Z28 has similar body geometry, but does not have errors of this magnitude. The misalignment at the rear of the passenger-side door is the most glaring. In fact, the coordinates are not even the same scale at the door seam. The grid is further off at the top than it is on the bottom. There are also misalignments where the fender meets the hood, especially towards the front, and where the fender meets the front facia, on the left side. The coordinates on the hood scoop do not match the hood itself.
Finally, the top of the rear quarters are mapped into the wrong projection, creating significant distortion.

The most annoying bug to painters since Forza’s inception. It’s just improper face mapping. Even with my remedial 3D knowledge, I know how to fix it. Y’all really paying for these things? No wonder the world is the way it is nowadays.

Some programs will automatically texture map shapes. They should use those types of programs.

Porsche 911 Carrera RS (1973) with RWB-kit
Just a minor one. Again vinyls are diplayed differently in free roam. There is a small part at the right rear wheel-arch, which is not covered in free roam.
Photomode:

Free roam:

Also Note: The whole grid at the top is shifted by 4.0, so 0.0, 0.0 is not in the middle of the car.

Addition:
The car loads in black textures depending on lighning and viewingangle where the rear reflectors would sit on the car without the rwb kit:

1 Like

Porsche 911 reimagined by Singer - DLS (1990)
And another 911, they don’t seem to like them very much,… .
Once again things are rendered diffrently in free roam.
I admit the allignment could be better but (Photomode):

it gets really messed up in free roam:

1 Like

Jaguar F-TYPE COUPÉ with widebody kit (2015)
Parts of all 4 Wheel-arches can’t be covered with vinyls:

2 Likes

Porsche 911 Carrera RS (1973)
Just noticed another minor display bug, this time without the rwb kit. There is a shadow of the Porsche crest in free roam, above the actual crest.
Photomode:

Free roam:

Also the whole grid on the roof seems to be shifted by 4, like with the rwb version.

Mercedes Benz 300 SLR (1955)
And once again vinyls can’t be applied properly. There is a spot on the right side of the right headrest-pillar-thing (sry, don’t know what it’s called), which can’t be covered with vinyls:

Also the inner side of each headrest-pillar-things can’t be covered with vinyls:

1 Like

I’ve encountered similar issues on other cars. In this case, it looks like it could work for you if you just carry that same line onto the rest of the car.